• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: Handgun Recommendations, Need Advice...

Yeah, I thought about slappin a picatinny rail on it but I decided to keep it in it's original A1 configuration...

Ah, yes. I'm all about the A1! ;)

Ok, so I think I've narrowed it down to either the XD-9 or the SR-9. From what I've seen price wise they are similar so just looking for some personal preference from you guys? One thing that has me leaning towards the SR is the lower "bore axis" it appears to have over the XD. Has anyone had any experience shooting these two pistols and noticed a difference in recoil? Thanks!!

Sadly I haven’t shot the sr9....I want to, the XD9 is a sweet shooting pistol. You should really look at the details on both and see if any have features you don’t want or features you can’t live without. I can’t really comment on over time ownership as I never owned either, word is they are good to go on reliability. Go to the gun shop and study both side by side and dry fire both

oli700 said:
Sadly I haven’t shot the sr9....I want to, the XD9 is a sweet shooting pistol. You should really look at the details on both and see if any have features you don’t want or features you can’t live without. I can’t really comment on over time ownership as I never owned either, word is they are good to go on reliability. Go to the gun shop and study both side by side and dry fire both

Yea I've compared the specs, the only thing the SR really lacks is the grip safety and the front serrations on the the slide the XD has, which isn't to big of deal for me not to have since the SR does have the manual safety switch. As far as the slide, the Glock 17 doesn't have the serrations so can't be too bad without them right :) ? Also the SR has 17+1 vs 16+1, so there's another pro over the XD.

Sounds like you are on the right track ! You are making an informed choice and whichever one you pick it will be sweet and you will love it. I would be honored to own either one

The Ruger and Springfield warranties, as well as their Customer Service, are unequalled in the firearm industry. They are standouts above all the others (along with S&W).

I've owned an XD and I've shot a SR9 that a fellow cop carries on duty. He absolutely loves the SR9 and owns a full size, mid, and compact model. I can see why. The SR9 is a very very good pistol from the ergonomics to the feel and recoil to the accuracy.

That said, the XD series is equally reliable, has great ergos, shoots with very good accuracy, and has probably more available aftermarket add-ons and holsters. I'm not sure that the grip safety is a huge advantage but it does lend itself to a good sense of security if you were prone to drop one or the dog got a hold of it.

Comparing the two side-by-side, it's practically impossible to say that one has an advantage over the other.

The high bore axis of the XD doesn't really become prominent in the 9mm series guns by either maker. And front cocking serrations are totally unnecessary on any pistol of any make or caliber or brand.

If I were to say there is a tie-breaker it would be the availability of holsters for the XD from practically all major and reputable makers of both Kydex and leather styles.

But it's like my recently acquired CZ-75. There aren't a ton of holsters available for it. It doesn't have front cocking serrations. Magazines for it are easily found but are not particularly cheap. But darn it the CZ-75 is one superb pistol all around and to own one is simply a matter of pride.

For you to own either the Ruger or the XD should make you feel the same way.

I'm glad you didn't ask about those two guns as well as a S&W M&P cuz then I'd be saying that any of the three would be an excellent choice!!!!

me too, or a Sig Pro or a Beretta px4 or a CZ 75 Phantom for plastic frames

Handgun Recommendations, Need Advice...

nitesite said:
I'm glad you didn't ask about those two guns as well as a S&W M&P cuz then I'd be saying that any of the three would be an excellent choice!!!!

Well funny you mention the M&P I was just checking those out today. They seem to be a little higher in the price range than I was looking into. I've heard great things about them tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uteman25 said:
nitesite said:

Well funny you mention the M&P I was just checking those out today. They seem to be a little higher in the price range than I was looking into. I've heard great things about them tho.

When and where were you planning on testing out the pistols?
I have an XD40sc as well as a few of 9mm Sig P250's that you are welcome to try out if you wish.

VitSports6 said:
Uteman25 said:
nitesite said:

I have an XD40sc as well as a few of 9mm Sig P250's that you are welcome to try out if you wish.

Well I was going to maybe rent some out from Doug's. But that would be nice of ya man to let me pop off a few rounds with yours!

Uteman25 said:
VitSports6 said:

Well I was going to maybe rent some out from Doug's. But that would be nice of ya man to let me pop off a few rounds with yours!

Doug's is about a mile from my house, I went to Highschool with the people who run it, Not that they would know me from Adam :mrgreen:

VitSports6 said:
Uteman25 said:
nitesite said:

Does the compact XD shoot much differently than the full size you think? Besides the fact that it's a .40 instead of a 9mm?

Uteman25 said:
Does the compact XD shoot much differently than the full size you think? Besides the fact that it's a .40 instead of a 9mm?

Mine is a Sub-Compact, However I have the extended magazines.
I would think they would shoot the same other than your accuracy may suffer at longer distances and they will feel smaller.
I have never shot a compact or full size.
The .40S&W is a snappier round, So there will be a noticeable difference there.
I went to Doug's last night, I had no idea the owners were selling, Kind of crazy.

Well I went with the XD9 :). Picked it up at a local gun show out the door for about $450 brand new with the "essentials" kit. Decided over the SR9 due to the ergos. The XD just felt better in my hand, I liked the all black look better as well. Hopefully will get to break her in next weekend!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334725160.690818.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334725160.690818.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 541

Congratulations on your XD! I love my sub-compact. They are great guns. I posted in another topic that mine was shooting low, but it must have been the ammo I was using (cheap Blazer ammo I think) because everything else I have used has worked well. If you use Blazer in it at some point, I'd be interested to know if you have the same experience.

Dang dude! Thats nice!!!

Anyone shoot the Ruger LC9, once again instead of eating lunch I stopped by my buddy’s store and before i knew it I had a deposit on a LC9. It seemed to fit me pretty good and the price was right. Anybody have any info or thoughts besides the obvious that I need to start eating lunch!

I was looking at the LC9 and LCP yesterday. I think everybody in the gun store I stopped at was carrying one or the other. It was the first time I'd really checked them out and liked both. When you get it let us know what you think about it.

Back