• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello from Oklahoma

Hello from Oklahoma. I have a Mossberg 817 .17 HMR and a Mossberg 500 12gauge. I just got the 817 and have only put 50 rounds through it sighting in the scope and getting to know it. The 12 guage is my primary home defense weapon. I bought the 817 and took it directly to the range. The gun was extremely dry and the bolt was stiff. I started to sight in the scope and the scope seemed loose on the rifle. I took the scope off and the mounts on the barrel were slightly loose and I didn't have an allen wrench with me, so I didn't get a good sight-in, but I did the best I could at the time and was able to put the rounds in a 3 inch circle at 50 yards. Since then I have cleaned and lubricated the rifle and tightened the scope mount. The bolt now works freely and the scope is secure. With the bolt out and sighting down the barrel the scope seems to be right on still, but I will take another trip to the range soon and fine tune the scope. So far I am happy with the 817 although I was a little disappointed with the fact that the scope mounts were loose from the factory. Can't wait to get back to the range and see what the rifle is really capable of.

Hello from Ohio! I dont know much about the rifles, but I dont think the loose rings are uncommon. You should have a very accurate shooter! The clean and lube will def go far, OFM likes them greased pretty heavy!

Welcome to Mossberg Owners and when youre able, let us know how that 817 is grouping!!! Pics from the range would be awesome too!

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum dragonryder !!

Anytime I bring home a new to me firearm ( brand new or used ), I've found that a quick inspection by field stripping, and then lubrication of the vital points is key to a successful first outing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! Keep us update on how your Mossberg 817 .17 hmr groups now that you have everything straightened out.

SHOOTER13 said:

Anytime I bring home a new to me firearm ( brand new or used ), I've found that a quick inspection by field stripping, and then lubrication of the vital points is key to a successful first outing.

That would be my normal thing to do, but the range was a few blocks from where I purchased the rifle and home was 20 miles away, so it was just too convenient.

Welcome aboard!

You certainly have nice taste in guns! We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of any firearms you own the various sub-forums. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

dragonryder said:
SHOOTER13 said:

That would be my normal thing to do, but the range was a few blocks from where I purchased the rifle and home was 20 miles away, so it was just too convenient.

Dude, I totally understand! When I got my 590A1, I was workin in South Jersey, and purchased the gun in DE. I had 3 or 4 weeks till I was goin home, and there was a trap and sporting clays range not too far from my hotel. Man I wanted to go... I didnt though, I was just too wore out after workin to do it.

Back