• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hi-Point

Tom396

.30-06
I know, I know. Everywhere you go on the web, somebody is badmouthing Hi-Point...especially their handguns. They are too big, they are too ugly, they jam, they fail to fire, you get what you pay for, ad infinitum.

However, nearly all these "reviews" admit they've never really owned nor fired one. Has anyone owned one? Are you too embarrassed to admit it? :D

I'm thinking of getting a S&W Sigma 40 for my wife. She's fired a Sigma 9 and loved it. She's fired much larger caliber handguns and nothing has fazed her, so far. Seems she can only be intimidated by the recoil of a short barreled 12 gauge...especially if it's got a pistol grip. Anyhow, I was thinking I might get myself a Hi-Point 40 caliber, at the same time. http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handgun ... _40sw.html The things are like $180, at most online stores. We could then share ammo. Thoughts? Take care. Tom Worthington.

I have a buddy who lives in New Orleans (Deputy Sheriff) and he owned one that was submerged during Katrina for almost 2 weeks in that salt, corrosive and toxic environment.

I remember seeing pics of it and it looked horrid.

He contacted Hi-point and asked if he could buy new replacement parts for it and they asked him to ship it to them so they could see what it needed and evaluate it.

They returned the original (plastic) frame, with entirely brand new everything else.

Barrel, slide, springs, sights, magazine, the whole 9 yards.

You can't really expect a company to do a customer better than that.

With that said, I do not own one, have not fired one, but have handled a few.

i owned a high point as the first pistol i bought when i lived in alaska. it didn't take me long at the range to realize that the pistol that i had was far inferior to everyone elses. i had jams and stovepipes and everything in between. I would never use one to protect my life and i would never give one to someone i care about to protect their life.
Save your 180 bucks Tom... it could be well spent towards something that is of higher quality.

I have not heard much good about their handguns, I do have a good friend that has one of their carbines and it is a lot of fun at the range. So far no issues I have seen when we have broken it out.

bsipes30 said:
Save your 180 bucks Tom... it could be well spent towards something that is of higher quality.

Sigh. Perhaps you're right. Maybe I'll just get her the Sigma 40 and enough ammo that she'll let me "share". :) I actually want a 6" barrel .357 revolver, but I don't wanna pay what they cost. :( Take care. Tom Worthington.

Hate to bring an old thread back to life but since there hadn't been a whole lot of input I thought I'd give my 2 cents. My dad purchased a Hi-Point .45 last year and had nothing but positive things to say about it. I had never even heard of the company but with a sticker price of $159 I thought "why not".......it basically costs 4 hours of overtime and I can surely screw around for 4 extra hours. Here's a write up I did concerning the gun on another site.

First impression......let's be completely honest here. This gun is ugly. Horribly ugly. It looks like someone's crazy uncle made it out in the garage with bits from a squirt gun and some parts from an old Chevy engine. Final fit and finish gives the impression that it came from Szechuan Tao's School for Blind 9 year olds in Taiwan.....even though the gun is made in the USA. If you've never seen one of these, do a Google search......the pictures on Hi-points website are of a nice one. Ugly seems like an understatement here.

So once you get past the appearance, you pick the pistol up for a closer inspection.....which is when the second observation hits you. This gun is as heavy as it is ugly. Hi-point has it listed at 35oz. (My Kimber Pro Raptor weighs in at the same 35oz.....a comparable Glock in .45 comes in around 26). The weight on this gun feels odd due to the majority of it being in the slide. The grip does feel decent though.....at least it feels better then a Glock, lol.

This gun has a rather short accessory rail under the barrel, I'm not sure why they chose to stop where they did instead of continuing to the end of the frame. Not sure how well an aftermarket weapons light would mount here if you wanted one as I didn't have one to try. The gun sports a fixed front sight and a fully adjustable rear sight, which is surprising for the price. The sights use bright orange dots on all three points and visibility is good, even though the dots look like they were put on with a roller.

Time to slide a magazine in and get busy.....the mags have a HUGE base to them which actually adds to the guns ugly factor, but it makes for a good handhold when picking up to load. We were running through some BVAC 230gr FMJ.....the cheap, buy in bulk stuff from Cheaper than Dirt. Sights on the target....

Reach up with my thumb to slide the safety off.....where is it? This gun has to have THE SMALLEST safety I have ever seen on a pistol. A little more material here would have helped a ton. Squeeeeeeeeeze the trigger. The Hi-point trigger actually surprised me. It isn't as smooth as the Kimbers but it is definitely among the best I've felt on a production gun. Recoil.....this is where the weight of the slide comes into play. The heavyness of the slide on the Hi-point plays the roles of both keeping the chamber sealed by refusing to move and reducing muzzle rise. Brutally simple. And it works......well. Follow up shots were quick and muzzle rise was minimal. The recoil of this $200 piece definitely was easier to manage than my $1300 Raptor. The gun was consistently low and right for me, with groups steadily under 2" and a few under 1". I was impressed.....completely.

So let me break this down to pros and cons.

First the cons: 1- Uglier than a 350lb tranny prostitute.

2- Weighs as much as a fully metal framed 1911, with an oddly top-heavy feel.

Now some pros: 1- Under $200 price point

2-Fully adjustable rear sight, with overall good sight visibility

3-Excellent trigger feel

4-Under $200

5-Simple operating system and VERY manageable recoil

6- Accuracy was good with rather cheap ammo

7- Under $200, meaning you can buy lots of cheap ammo.

8-Completely tears down quickly with only a pin punch.

9- Did I mention the price?

So yes, I was pleasantly impressed by this pistol. It will not win any beauty pageants and may be a bit heavy and bulky for CCW duty but would make for a great gun just for fun shooting, or nightstand duty or even a "pack it and forget it" bugout gun. What you get for under $200 is a very capable gun.....a great starting point for someone curious about jumping into the .45 realm or an experienced shooter wanting another tool in his box. I actually went out this afternoon and bought one of these for myself......when I pick it up in 2 weeks it won't be knocking my Raptor out of my nightstand but it will definitely have a spot in the bag for range days.....especially when taking someone new to shooting out.

Hope at least one person finds this little review helpful.....maybe even give these ugly guns a second look, lol.

I've seen several complaints about these guns online concerning failure to feed issues......seems to be the most common problem. What I've found through personal experience is that the problems are entirely magazine related. The magazines aren't exactly high quality to begin with and are probably made by a 3rd party contractor. The entire gun is under 2 bills so think for a second what they are probably spending on the mags. I've picked up 5 mags for mine at various times and the angles on the feed lips have been different on every single one. I had some FTF issues with my first mag but a little bit of work with some pliers solved the issue. I've simply bent the lips on all the other mags to match and have probably dumped 750 rounds through this gun with no further malfunctions. I still like the gun......It's been well worth the money and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend it to someone looking for a budget plinking piece or a gun to pack away and forget about.

If I were looking to quickly up my firepower for some currently unknown reason Hi Point would be way up the list. I like that they stick to popular calibers but do wish the mag capacity was larger in all the guns.

I've been looking for an affordable pistol caliber carbine for some time. If Kel Tec would crank up production of the S2K in Glock 9 or 40 I'd be done - i have the mags raring to go! I love the compact folding design. One day soon I'll throw up my hands and buy a Hi Point carbine and a fistful of their mags BECAUSE they are actually available.

From what I read and hear the company continues to grow and the products improve. The fact That I grew up a few miles down the road from where they are made may have a bit of sway as well...

IMG_20151001_205327.jpg Just got it yesterday for a good price off Armslist... Gave it a good thorough cleaning, & polished the feed ramp, gonna try & get it out this week see how it shoots...

Last edited:
I bought one (c9) off armslist yesterday for a sum of $120 ! Yeah it's too heavy, that's fine with me as I want my girlfriend to learn to shoot it, next up it doesn't have the lines of a nice 1911, hell some would say its ugly! I don't care about that, as far as the jamming issues, I did some research & along with the mag issues, its also reccomended to polish the feed ramp - DONE with 400 grit sandpaper, no paint left, smooth & clean... I'm gonna try to get it to the range this weekend & run some ammo through it, then we'll see what's what, so stay tuned...

Sounds like you got a good deal, Ken. They are what they are and a good "starter" or backup gun. I would probably get a grip sleeve or stipple the grips so it is less slick. Good luck with it! :)

That is a butt ugly gun for sure...

I would just save up my money and buy better....

JMH 2 cents...

I know a guy whose truck caught fire. He bought the HP just to stash in his truck, plan C. He sent the burnt carcass back to HP , they sent him a new pistol. That's just amazing......but you get what you pay for mostly in the gun world and you don't get much in the way of fit, feel and material quality.....which is important when harnessing an explosion everytime the trigger is pulled .....shoot a few hundred in you life and you'll likely not have much issue, a few thousand in a life and I bet you see why it cost less

Everyone's favorite gun enthusiast finally posted a review for a Hi-Point. :D

I have never held or shot a Hi-Point. When I got my M&P15 Sport the other day at the same place I got my 500, they now carry handguns. They have a nice selection, including Hi-Points. I could not believe how large they were. I read reports, but never actually imagined it. If you ever need to defend yourself with it, and run out of ammo, at least you'll be able to bludgeon the person to death with it. :D With all of that said, I wouldn't mind giving one a go. Yeah, they're not pretty, but they do serve a purpose. I'd rather have a Hi-Point than nothing if I needed to defend myself.

Back