• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hi-Point

I hate to trash a guys choice but pistol is bar none the worst feeling pistols I've ever shot.The trigger feel, not the pull but the way it feels on your finger , that grip material and shape.....even the way they recoil. Its just not pleasurable to shoot for me, that's why I think they are good for a stash gun or something because they do hit descent for defense purposes.
The carbine is about the same for me. Mag changes are clunky and harsh, and the absolute worse crappy "sproing" in the buttstock I've ever felt....but it would get you out of a jam as long as your not in a hurry to change mags
I tried really really hard to like , quite a few rounds. I could actually shoot the pistol better than the carbine lol
Not for me, I enjoy shooting. If I didn't shoot much and wanted something for a dresser drawer or something it could be a contender
I think a guy should really shoot one before purchase if possible unless its a killer deal or something

I've never shot one but I've heard mixed reviews.

You can buy a Kel-Tec for just a little bit more. These also have some mixed reviews but size and overall quality is a little better.

"It's junk. It's made with worn-out S&W machinery. A cheap unreliable copy of S&W". That's what I was told back in the mid 90's about the 357 Taurus 66. I bought the new Taurus at a good price. No regrets and no problems with this excellent 6 shooter. Go for it.

^^^^......and all kidding and cosmetics aside, could very well save your bacon.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm a "gun snob". I work my butt off to buy stuff that is good quality, because no matter how you slice it, buying something good once is less expensive than buying a bunch of stuff to replace things that don't work. I like what I like and I tend to not stray super far from it.

With that said though, back in the late 90s I bought a Hi-Point 995 carbine right after they came out. Yeah, it was uglier than hell. It was way less than ergonomic. The action wasn't smooth. It was, for all intents and purposes, one of their pistols with a stock, longer barrel, and a tin shroud covering the slide. But what it did do, was feed anything you could stuff in the magazine, and shoot anything into 2 1/2" or so at 40 yards. Not astonishing accuracy, but good enough to keep rabbits out of the garden and groundhogs out of the pasture. That thing travelled about 400 miles a week with me for a year and a half, usually in the trunk of my car, and always with little if any maintenance. It shot thousands of rounds, back in the day of "3D ammo" (if you don't remember it, it came in burgundy or blue boxes, it was reloaded, brass cased with lead bullets- $5/6 a box, which was cheap by 1997 standards) and only ever had a few jams.
I traded it after I turned 21 on a Star "UltraStar" 9mm, and I've regretted it ever since.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hickok45 reviews the Hi Point carbine. His experience with it is similar to mine. The magazines have been really hit and miss (for me). That is the only thing that keeps it from being a go-to home defense weapon at my house. I still very much enjoy the carbine and it definitely isn't for sale. :) Take care. Tom Worthington

I had a C9 as my first handgun. I wanted something to keep in my car just in case. At that point, I didn't forsee myself becoming an enthusiast, so I wanted something that wouldn't break the bank. My impressions are as follows...
It's not pretty.
It's heavy.
Low round capacity.
A little time consuming to disassemble.

But...

It shot well.
Accurate.
No FTF, jams, FTE, etc.
Low cost.
Lifetime warranty.

Overall, a great first handgun for me to learn with. I have since sold it, but I did like it. My sister even used hers to qualify for her CWP.

Last edited:
Back