• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

High Capacity Kit Sight Question

Kadelic

I've got a 12 gauge 500 with an 18.5" bbl, 5 round mag tube and standard bead sight. I'm considering upgrading to an 8 round tube, 20" bbl with a "white bead front with adjustable, U-notch rear sight." I understand the problems of replacing the magazine tube, my question is about the sight system. Is the front sight comparable to the standard brass bead for HD purposes? I do like the idea of the rear sight for long range purposes. Does anyone have experience with these sights on a Mossberg.

I don't have experience with the specific sights you are asking about, however, I have used dual barrel sights before. Namely a bead on the end and a bead more toward the middle of the barrel.

While it is more accurate for an "aimed" shot, it's not as good for bird hunting and fast movers, so I suppose that it depends on what you plan to do with it.

Better for turkeys and squirrels sitting on a limb and deer that are leisurely passing through where you're taking your time aiming to get that "right spot", but don't expect any favors grouse or pheasant or duck hunting or skeet/trap and the likes where you're shooting while swinging.

Thanks John. It's still primarily a home defense weapon, but I'd like it to be versatile on the range and field too if need be. First things being first, I'm wondering if that front sight sticks out on its own like the brass bead.

Kadelic said:
I've got a 12 gauge 500 with an 18.5" bbl, 5 round mag tube and standard bead sight. I'm considering upgrading to an 8 round tube, 20" bbl with a "white bead front with adjustable, U-notch rear sight." I understand the problems of replacing the magazine tube, my question is about the sight system. Is the front sight comparable to the standard brass bead for HD purposes? I do like the idea of the rear sight for long range purposes. Does anyone have experience with these sights on a Mossberg.
not sure exactly what sights you are looking for?
from what i can tell from the pic it looks like open rifle sights.

Attachments

• extended mag kit.jpg
    extended mag kit.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 258
That is the kit I'm looking at. The same kit with a bead sight is $50 cheaper but still out of stock. As an HD weapon primarily, I wonder if the rifle sights would be inappropriate for the application. I guess I should just try them and see for myself.

My $.02,

There's no substitute for a simple bead in a defensive shotgun. Aligning a front and rear sight on your intended target could prove very difficult in a high stress situation, and can become nearly impossible in the dark or in low light conditions. A bead is fast and simple, two desirable characteristics when your ass is on the line...

Thanks LES, I'll probably just wait until the kit with the bead sight is available. Increasing my 500's capacity by 3 rounds seems like a good idea, I might as well do it right for my needs.

No problem,

Have you checked with Mossberg sales on parts availability? You might have better luck ordering directly from them...

(800) 363-3555

Back