• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Holder Wants Felons To Vote

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Eric Holder is calling for convicted felon voting rights to be restored and yes he found a way to turn it toward racism. To bad for him that the states will never do it. I guess the democratic party is seeking new voters anywhere then can get them since the immigration push is off the table for the moment. I also noticed that while not being able to vote takes away their dignity, he didn't call for them to get back the ability to own a gun. I hold him in slightly less contempt than I do his boss.

WASHINGTON — Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. called Tuesday for the repeal of laws that prohibit millions of felons from voting, underscoring the Obama administration’s determination to elevate issues of criminal justice and race in the president’s second term and create a lasting civil rights legacy.

In a speech at Georgetown University, Mr. Holder described today’s prohibitions — which in some cases bar those convicted from voting for life — as a vestige of the racist policies of the South after the Civil War, when states used the criminal justice system to keep blacks from fully participating in society.

“Those swept up in this system too often had their rights rescinded, their dignity diminished, and the full measure of their citizenship revoked for the rest of their lives,” Mr. Holder said. “They could not vote.”

Gee, I wonder what kind of policies convicted felons would want to vote for? Take care. Tom Worthington

Losing your rights go hand in hand with felonies.

I bet he won't restore veterans rights to own guns though even though many have been denied due process.

Anyone want to take bets?

John A. said:
Losing your rights go hand in hand with felonies.

I bet he won't restore veterans rights to own guns though even though many have been denied due process.

Anyone want to take bets?

No, sir.

What or who do you guys envision when you think of a felon?

I would be a felon if I wasn't given a second chance, did what I was asked and paid my fines.

The law I broke shouldn't even be a law in my opinion. I never harmed anyone, never took from anyone. I haven't missed one day of work in the past 15+ years. I help my fellow man. Pay taxes. I do everything that an American citizen should do.
The only thing I did wrong was not obey another mans opinion on what I shouldn't do, in my own home, with no harm to anyone else in this world.

If the judge woke up in a different mood that day, or if my family wasn't part of law enforcement and knew the lawyers. I could very well be a felon.
Do you guys now look at me different?

Should I no longer have any rights?

Should an 18 year old that made a mistake, did his time, never have his rights again?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro criminal. It makes me sick when a pedo, murderer, a person that harms another gets off so easy.
If a dog attacks a child, it gets put down. If a human attacks a child, he gets 10 years and out in 6. (That's a whole other subject)

But to group all felons together might not be the best way to judge others.

If I'm no longer welcome here, let me know. I'll move on.

/rant

3skulls said:
If I'm no longer welcome here, let me know. I'll move on.
You are certainly still welcome here 3skulls. I appreciate that you posted an alternative view and did it in a very positive (read as non troll) way. Your opinion here is just as good and valued as any one else's. Also, I look at you no differently.

3skulls said:
But to group all felons together might not be the best way to judge others.
How would you divide it, as violent and non violent? Perhaps some states will address that.

Thank you Mike.
I would definitely start with violent / non violent, but you would almost have to look at each case.

A guy that's been in and out of jail his whole life, a career criminal, shouldn't be viewed as a normal citizen.
With that you really need to start looking into why they are in and out and if they should be out in the first place.

Now take a guy that made a mistake early in his life and did his time. 30 years later, he has been a perfect citizen. Even went above and beyond to try and rights his wrongs.
I personally wouldn't feel right telling that guy he couldn't vote. I wouldn't feel right looking at him as a second class human.
(Now this example wouldn't be a 20 year old that stabbed some 80 year old woman to grab her purse)

And for the record, I grew more than 5 plants. In my state that is a felony. So 6 small seedling could be a felony. while 4 huge outdoor plants would be a slap on the wrist.

I think the question of rights following incarceration, should be addressed in the sentencing phase of a trial, or for current inmates as part of a parole hearing. A blanket 'amnesty' would not be helpful. Case by case is the right way to go about this, taking into account previous repeat offenses, etc..

I believe there is a process in place for felons to get their voting rights back. I worked with a guy (in Va. ) that served 5 years in Levenworth and petitioned to get his voting rights back and got them after a few years. I however see both sides of this.

I think you are on to something there Gunny.

If I remember right, I think you need a pardon from the Governor here in Kentucky. (Don't quote me on that)

GunnyGene said:
I think the question of rights following incarceration, should be addressed in the sentencing phase of a trial, or for current inmates as part of a parole hearing. A blanket 'amnesty' would not be helpful. Case by case is the right way to go about this, taking into account previous repeat offenses, etc..
I definitly think it shouldd be case by case as well. Some people screw up and never do anything again, some make it a lifestyle. There is definitely a difference in the two.

Sent from my Barnett Raptor using alien technology

I have very little to say on this subject and probably should refrain altogether, but here goes anyway.

From reading some of the comments and replies stated here, I probably have different views from some.

Mainly, from being raised hard, and understanding that everything has its' consequences.

If you do wrong, and knowingly break the law, is different from walking your dog through the park one day and getting framed for something you didn't do.

Trying to justify your actions that you broke the law because of another mans viewpoint is irrelevant, and again by saying if you had only grown 4 big pot plants would've been different.

My view is that even 1 pot plant is illegal and you had to have known that when you went into it, yet you made the choice to grow them despite the fact.

Whether you grew 1 or 1000 is no different in my opinion. You probably grew them from seeds, watered them, cared for them regularly, kept them pruned back, whether outdoors or indoors under a grow light and got caught plain and simple.

You were either growing them to smoke and get high, or you were growing it to sell it or both. You didn't grow a patch just because you thought they were pretty. That's different from jay walking or unpaid parking tickets (which is a harmless crime).

Drugs ruin peoples' lives every day and are not a "harmless crime", regardless of what anyone says. I've seen it first hand.

I have known people who have stole from anyone and everyone and even from their own family in order to get drugs, pimped theirselves out, I have seen countless families destroyed and thrown to the gutter because they stopped caring about anything other than the high, and I know people who have had to bury their own children because they have OD'd or been killed by someone who was wasted.

Does that change my personal opinion of you? no, you seem like an alright guy and seem to have realized your mistake and seem to be trying to not go back down that road and I respect you for that. And I have not treated you any differently than I have anyone else. But I won't treat you any differently by biting my tongue either. I suppose that we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

My opinion of people constantly in and out of jail is much worse. Those are the ones that do not seem to learn, care, or whatever. I have no pity for them at all whatsoever.

But drugs are not a "harmless crime".

I respect that John. You are right, I did know what I was getting into.
But I'm also a very strong believer of being free in my own home. I grew for myself and would never in a million years go down that path you described.

In my opinion I would put it in the same category as brewing my own beer. Alcohol which has done way more harm but that's really a different topic.

They are now saying that the residents in CT that haven't registered their guns are committing a Class D felony (same thing I was looking at).

There are people out there that knew what they were doing when committing the crime. They might have been raised right or they might of had parents that never cared.
I wouldn't judge them until I understood why they were at that low, at that point in life. They might have been ready to give up and had nothing to care about.
Now later in life, they have a wife and kids. They now have reasons to care. Should they have known better (should I have known better)? Yes, but people can change and they can make mistakes.
I would never feel right to tell that person he can't protect his family now. I wouldn't feel right saying he couldn't vote for the person that he feels would make a better life for his kids.

I just don't feel any law should blanket a whole group of people as if they were all the same. All felons shouldn't have the right to vote and all felons shouldn't have that right denied.

Thank you John, I would still be glad to come up and shake your hand if we ever met in person. I'm also sorry that you had to witness the people that went down that path.

-Rich

I agree with you more than you know 3skulls.

I do believe in personal freedom. I do not feel that people should be persecuted for exersizing their right to own/bear guns though is against the Constitution, which is the law of the land, and I do not think that there should be blanket consequences either.

You seem to be an exception, as most people will not change their ways and I am glad that you're in the process of having your stuff over turned and have been an exception.

And I would also not hesitate to shake your hand either.

He knows that one day he may be convicted of a felony. And yeah they need all the help they can get right now. Let's hope it stays that way up to this November!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had to share this here. :)

2upyju3y.jpg

Back