• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Home Made Dummy Rounds

3skulls

.270 WIN
Shotgun shells.

Good for:
• Reloading drills
• Showing someone how to load / unload and basic functions of the shotgun
• Running shells though after working / cleaning the shotgun
• Shooting drills. Have another person load your weapon with a dummy round in the mix.

We talked about dummy rounds and how to make them in the Intro to Tactical Shotgun video thread.
I thought I would post a few photos explaining how I made some for myself.
Everyone feel free to add your methods, I know Mossy made some really nice ones plugged with wax.

Step 1.
Collect some empty / spent shells.
I washed and dried them off. I then cut off them down to the same length as a shell that has yet to be fired.

Step 2.
Fill them with whatever you have laying around. This will add some weight for a more natural feel.
I used some gravel, others have used pennies, fishing weights, bird shot etc.
9ade9aqy.jpg

Step 3.
Capping or plugging the ends.
I started off by using silicon but wasn't really happy with the result. The gravel was loose and I don't feel they would have held up over time.
I then went with Gorilla Glue.
yhe3e4yj.jpg

duba4a4y.jpg

When using Gorilla Glue its best to have the medium you are glueing damp. I washed off the gravel, placed it in the shell and added some glue.
As most if you know, Gorilla Glue expands 3-4 times as it sets up.
So try to only add a little at a time. Its best to add to little (and add more later) than to add to much and make a crazy mess.

Step 4.
Wrapping it all up.
Some if the glue will foam up out of the shell.
gydeguby.jpg

At this point you can just cut the excess off. I also sanded down the glue to make it flush with the ends.
The final step was to wash them back off to remove any dust from the sanding.

With using the Gorilla Glue, they have a very solid feel and should hold up to some abuse.

I used clear hulls so I can visually see they are dummy rounds. Even in the dark I can run my finger over the end and feel the Gorilla Glue.

I'm sure most of you don't need a step by step but I thought I would throw it out there. I get so much great info here I like to try and give a little something back.

Let's see your dummies!

Hope this helps,
Rich

raze8a9a.jpg

Just a question about the gorilla glue. Since it expands, did it swell the shell case at all? That could cause a problem with chambering.

No swelling that I know of.
I could see a problem with expansion if you tried to cover the end of the shell.
With it being open it seems to take the path of least resistance.

I'll finish up 3 more today and run those through tonight. So far no problems.

Looks like they should work. Good post, 3skulls! Have you given any thought to popping out the spent primer and replacing it with something resilient in the primer pocket to also make it like a snap cap?

Thank you Sir!

I'm not really sure how to do that. Any info would be appreciated.

I just ran the 3 I made today through the shotgun. Gunny you might be on to something, feels like one is on the tight side.

Looking at that one I noticed a small slit toward the end of the shell. A weak spot where the glue could have distorted it a bit.

If anyone tried this and gets a distortion. I'm thinking a small jig could be made to place the shell in would fix it.

They bounce off the ground and look like they would hold up for awhile.

Can't beat the price.

I'll mail you some free brand new shotgun wads that will help shift the weight of the shell all the way forward like a true loaded shell. After you cut off the shell crimp petals you can just push 'em down in till they bottom out. And I'll send you some lead shot also, to give you a proper weight shell. I'd suggest covering the shot with some clear or white bathtub caulk so you don't have expansion issues like the Gorilla Glue gave you. A shotgun 209 primer measures 0.242" wide and a #2 pencil eraser is 0.269" so maybe you could stuff an eraser in the primer pocket and trim it flush then your firing pin gets a little cushion. I'm just thinking out loud here... sorry to thread drift a bit.

That's very kind of you but you don't have to go through the trouble.

I tried the bathtub silicon on the first run. Wasn't happy with it, had some play. Just messing with them and the silicon started to pull away from the plastic some.
If I were to go that path again, I would scrub the inside of the shell better. Maybe even rough it up with some sandpaper.

So does the primer push out from the inside out? When all this snow melts and I thaw out, I'll empty some more shells and try it out.

The shells I used were roll crimped. After they had been shot it made a small slit in the plastic. I didn't notice and should have cut them down further. I think that's the only part that had a problem with any expansion.

I lightly sanded the ridges off the outer part of that one shell and it's working great.

I also put them on the scale last night and they are right around 27g
A little light but not bad.

And let the thread drift, I don't mind one bit. Thanks for your thoughts.

Yeah the ones I tried with painters caulk a few days ago are still soft. Going to pitch them an try some RTV silicone adhesive sealant.

the only thing I see that concerns me is the edge of the shell where you cut for length. If it was just a one time cycle and done no biggie but since you plan to train with them I would be concerned with the edge rolling out or the shell spitting

For the next round of glue ups, I would suggest 5 minute epoxy.... no expansion. dries to the touch in 5 minutes. But for something like this being so thick of a cavity, I'd wait a half hour so before working on em. It dries clear, so you can be sure of what you are using.

Also , looking at your pix, it does look like there is expansion of the hull.....

dieselmudder said:
Yeah the ones I tried with painters caulk a few days ago are still soft. Going to pitch them an try some RTV silicone adhesive sealant.

Those are going to be soft forever bro... :oops: it's made to be flexible.

Only about the top 1/4 inch even set. You can squeeze them and the stuff below comes up and around. I figured it was worth a shot.

I have some epoxy...I'll show ya'll what I mean....gimme the weekend to do this. It's a lil busy here....

Might have to find some marbles that are the same size as the ID of the shells (or real close). Then epoxy them in...

8bT7EFzl.jpg

^^spent shell

6HtWlexl.jpg

^^Junk pewter figures

nxIVHPMl.jpg

^^all cut up with dikes, I mean , side cutters... ;)

5M6OUHBl.jpg

^^Time to stuff it!

hc35VwCl.jpg

^^ Stuffed and filled with epoxy. dried in a half hour solid!

Back