• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How Long do Shot Shells Keep?

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Was cleaning out a drawer in the house and found an old box of Winchester 12ga shells. Thinking back I know they've been in there for well over ten years. The drawer has been kept cool and dry and the casings show no corrosion or damage of any kind. I was about to throw them out but I thought I'd ask,

Are they safe to shoot?

I have no expertise or special qualificationns that make me able to answer this with any degree of authority.

That said, I'd say if they loook good, as you mentioned no corrosion or visible dammage, then shoot em. I recently saw boxes being sold that were well over 15 to 20 years old. Some were much older, and in the condition they were in were worth little more than ammo to collect because it isnt made anymore and it looks cool. But others, I'd have no problem using.

So there you have it! The completely unoffficial, lacking any hard evidence answer!

Thanks man,

I figured they'd probably be ok, but I thought I'd get some opinions first. I like how your post came with a disclaimer. You can mail me the waiver and I'll be glad to sign it. :lol:

lol! Heck, just copy/paste, insert into an email and send it on back!

If primers are exposed to oil they can deteriorate. Know your drill for misfires, squib loads etc.

This goes for any ammo: if the kick or sound of any round is substandard, leave barrel pointed down range, leave eye and ear protection on, wait one minute, and then carefully remove bad round and inspect for damage or barrel obstruction.

Bad ammo really gets hairy with semiautos because people tend to pull the trigger before thinking about the bad round.

Some very good points and things to keep in mind! and you didnt even use a disclaimer, well done! :)

Back