• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Howdy from Iowa

Sn3aKyGuY

.30-06
Hey there MO.com! I'd just like to start off by saying I've been trolling the forum here for a while and not only have I learned a great deal from this site, but it's the most friendly forum I've come across in a long time. Most people are eager to help and give you non-flaming/accurate information or point you to someone that can. I just want to say thank you for that to all the members that have made it there mission to help us new mossy owners/shooters.

Now, a little about me. I'm an outdoor enthusiast that loves everything from fishing and hunting to hiking and camping. I have a 2 1/2 year old son with another on the way, hopefully another boy! :lol: One of my greatest wishes is that I can teach my children about conservation, wildlife and the joy of destroying paper and clay in a safe and fun way. I grew up with many a air rifles/pistols, .22's and even a .410, but as I found my way into the city as I got older, I found myself farther and farther from the things I enjoyed. So over the last year or so I've been slowly working on getting myself back to a place where I can enjoy those things I once enjoyed. That's what brings me here.

Now I mentioned I owned/shot a lot of rifles but the only shotgun experience I've really had (outside of the occasional clay slaughter with friends) is an old .410 my childhood friend used to take rabbit hunting. Missing those days of past I decided I wanted to get back into rabbit hunting and eventually into deer hunting. So I swung by my local Scheel's where I had met a very knowledgeable salesman that helped me with my Glock purchase a few months back and started explaining my situation and he showed me a Mossberg 500 Field/Deer Combo in 20-gauge. After some explaining from him about how far 20-gauge slugs have come in the last few years I decided this was the gun for me. Not too crazy for rabbit, but strong enough to knock a white tale over in it's tracks (with the proper shot placement of course). After I got home I started doing some more research which lead me here, and I have to say that even with the 12-gauge, shall I say - purists, I found answers to all my questions and even a few answers I didn't know I was looking for.

I haven't picked this gun up yet, but my birthday is coming up in about a month and I have a feeling the wife is going to 'let me' get it as an early gift. That brings me to my one unanswered question. What do you folks think should be the first investment towards this gun? Cleaning kit and ammo are the obvious ones, so I challenge you to think a little outside the box. :p Again, thanks for all the awesome, drama-free posts that have led me this far into my decision.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Sn3aKyGuY !!

You're correct, we do have a nice group of very helpful and knowlegable members here, so take your time and visit all of the different sub-sections...

...and Happy Fathers Day !! :mrgreen:

Welcome aboard.

A comfortable sling would be a good thought for tromping into to the woods. I had to carry mine into the woods empty for a couple miles and it got old fast.

maybe a side saddle for easy access rounds? I don't hunt so I can't say I know what would be useful for hunting.

Best of luck, and dont forget to post a few pics once you get it home!

Thanks guys! That is a good point Ripsnortr, I hadn't even thought about that. I'm sure I would of got the point quick my first trip out though, lol.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! We really appreciate the kind words and are so glad to have you as part of our growing community. As for things that you may want to purchase; a tree stand, sling (as already mentioned), camo, animal callers, backpack with survival supplies, scope (not always neccessary), larger safety button (helps a ton when you are wearing gloves in the colder months)...

Welcome Sn3aKyGuY !!
Ripsnortr beat me to the punch.
oh well.. you say you have kiddos.( well more to come!) anyhow. do you have a safe place to put them? Trigger locks? You can get locks keyed alike and separate.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Franzen- ... l+Products

Do you have a case to case to carry it from point A to point B and in-between?
How about a limb saver pad.
Carrying case for the ammo.
Ear plugs.
Safety glasses.
Choke tubes. different ones for different targets...HD, target practice, deer hunting, rabbit hunting.
One is never enough.

One more point to add.
before you buy it. when you go into the store, see if you can check the action on a few. some are sticky and tight, others are not. Get a feel for it there.(if they let you) Then you will be a little more happier with your purchase.
And with slugs, get several different brands to see which one is more accurate with your barrel...you don't have to buy them all at once ,but definitely try a few.

Welcome aboard Sir,

Looks like the rest of the crew has just about covered it. Like Dan said, we really appreciate that our efforts in keeping the atmosphere of the forum friendly and inviting are making an impression. Thanks for joining our community and we look forward to your continued feedback and contribution.

Now, what accessory would I suggest to go with your 500 field/deer combo? That's easy ....... a 590a1 of course! Or a 500 pursuader, or cruiser, or well you get the picture. That's the thing with Mossbergs, you can't just settle with one.

I'm sure we'll see you around, but have a happy Father's Day and a very happy birthday as well. I sure hope the wife comes through for you and green-lights the purchase. We're rooting for you! In the meantime, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions...

Thanks again for the advice and happy wishes. I guess I should let it be known that I do have a lot of stuff already as far as non-shotgun specific gear. I carry a 5.11 RUSH24 bag with me for work with first aid, change of clothes, earplugs and spare safety glasses (in case I decide to hit the range before I can stop at home), cleaning kit, holster (IWB and OWB for the Glock 19 as I normally use a 5.11 holster shirt to carry) and mag holders, couple of knives, water purification kit, spare food/water .... pretty much a doomsday/zombie bail out bag. As far as a case, I'll be sure to pick one up that will accommodate the extra barrel(s) as well. I do own quite a few safety devices, but I was looking at picking up one of the Mossberg Loc-Box wall mounts or just finally throwing the money down for a standing gun safe.

Now I'm all for buying more guns, but I was considering picking up a 18.5" barrel to keep on this while not being used in the field. Till I get ok'ed to buy a second one that is. Was looking at the 590A1 on here and the mossy website and definitely want to make it a future purchase if everything goes well with this one. I'll be sure to see if the sales person will let me check the action. The guys pretty cool and one of two employees there that I'll actually buy from, because like any retail store most of the employees there know just enough about the products they sell to get them hired. I'm sure they have good intentions but I'd prefer to give the commission to a guy that works for it vs. a guy that just reads of the description tag to me. :roll:

Things I plan on buying down the road include the ATI Tactical Talon stock and forend, some sort of low power scope for deer and coyote and maybe a reflex red dot for home, a saddle bag or shell holder. That's the list so far for upgrades. I was looking at different chokes, but from what I've seen on a few different sites is that the smooth bore barrel on the combos comes with 3 different chokes. Am I correct in this or did I misread that part?

Again, thanks for the warm welcome and all the insight thus far!

Hello there and welcome to the forum. Sounds like most of the guys got you squared on the shotty issue. I will agree that this is one of the most friendly and helpful forums I have been to in a long time. I can not convey how much help I have found here, as I too am not much of a shotgunner but I am getting there. Have fun with the boys, and enjoy the time you have with them!

Welcome aboard man! Its been said already, and I'll say it again, we appreciate the compliments as its what we strive for here at MO!!! I'm glad we have been helpful thus far and we'll continue to do so as we're able!

Sounds like a nice firearm you're lookin at, my daughter wants a 20.ga. too!!! The only thing I can add is do plenty of shooting to see what you like and before long, you and your youngins will have life long memories!!!

Happy Fathers Day, and hapy birthday!!!

So, I stopped by Scheel's today and messed with a few of the different field/deer combo's to see how the action felt. Got one picked out and set aside for me to go get on Wednesday! Just wanted to put it out there, the smooth bore barrel in the kit DOES come with chokes. The salesman I deal with out there didn't even know off the top of his head, so he pulled a few out of the box to check while I was testing them. I'll give a little more detail on Wednesday when I get it home! Now to just occupy my mind till then. :lol:

Congratulations on your new Mossberg 500. Let us know when you finally pick it up.

Oh, by the way, before the more observant ones notice. The reason I make posts at all hours of the day is because I get switched up from 2nd to 3rd shift a few times a week depending on where I'm at that night and this is one of the few things keeping me awake most of the time! :lol: I swear I'm not a crazy drug user!

YAAAAAY! She's mine! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Picked up the 500 Field/Deer Combo in 12 gauge just minutes ago. I'll get some pictures up when I get a chance. Picked up a 100 shell case w/ choke tube holder and a cleaning kit to go with. Was going to pick up a sling, but decided to hold off till I get the ATI stock next pay check. Can't wait for a day off so I can go break her in. :D :D :D :D :D

Back