• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is the extractor causing this?

Hey all. I have a question about some Estate Dove Load shotshells I bought at one of the Crossroads shows. As you can see by the picture, some of the shells have the raised bump on the cap. Out of 50+ I fired a couple weeks ago, less than 10 had the bump. 2 actually broke as also seen in the picture. I was wondering if this is defective ammo, or something the extractor is doing? I didn't bother to look at them beforehand so I'm not sure if it was there when I loaded the gun. Thanks in advance.

guitarman584 said:
Hey all. I have a question about some Estate Dove Load shotshells I bought at one of the Crossroads shows. As you can see by the picture, some of the shells have the raised bump on the cap. Out of 50+ I fired a couple weeks ago, less than 10 had the bump. 2 actually broke as also seen in the picture. I was wondering if this is defective ammo, or something the extractor is doing? I didn't bother to look at them beforehand so I'm not sure if it was there when I loaded the gun. Thanks in advance.

seeing how you didn't look at them before shooting them,,,,i would try some different ammo and see what happens. (i'm assuming you have cleaned the gun)
keep us posted.

The extractor would be exerting force on the rim of the cartridge not the back side... so in theory the "rip" would be opposite of what's in your picture... my vote's for defective ammo on this one, but I've never seen that kind of failure. are you getting powder residue on the bolt face at all?

Can you photograph your bolt face and extractor up close from a couple different angles?

Have you forwarded the pics to Mossberg Customer Service/Warranty Center?

aksavanaman said:
The extractor would be exerting force on the rim of the cartridge not the back side... so in theory the "rip" would be opposite of what's in your picture... my vote's for defective ammo on this one, but I've never seen that kind of failure. are you getting powder residue on the bolt face at all?

Actually the extractor does exert force on the back of the cartridge when you are closing the action.
The extractor is spring operated so that it will slip over the lip of the shell when the action closes.
Even with a really hard operating extractor, the shell should be able to with stand the force of the extractor when the action is closing.

I agree with my friend from Alaska......BAD AMMO!
I would still make sure that the extractor is moving the way it was meant to.

LTB45 said:
aksavanaman said:

Actually the extractor does exert force on the back of the cartridge when you are closing the action.
Exactly, I would check the action of the claw and make sure it is lifting easily and all the way, not getting hung. On the first shell picture you can clearly see the bolt face left an imprinting the portion of the shell that is by the extractor claw…..

1)Either the bolt face is a little off (look for the imprint on other shells)Also the primer strike doesn’t look quite as deep in the first picture, another possible sign of a cartridge that isn’t fully seated against the bolt face

2)Extractor claw is not lifting efficiently or 100% (my guess because if it were working good it would push up over a bad shell without tearing it from the breach side)

3)The brass head on the ammo is a little slanted at the base ……

Either way it looks like you should figure it out before you fire more. The dent in the first picture could represent a shell firing out of battery….check it thoroughly OOB fire can be a bad day

LTB, thanks for clarifying on that... I was focused on the extraction process not the closing of the bolt. Always good to have more than one input!

oli700 said:
….check it thoroughly OOB fire can be a bad day

Yeah... a real bad day indeed!

nitesite said:
Can you photograph your bolt face and extractor up close from a couple different angles?

Have you forwarded the pics to Mossberg Customer Service/Warranty Center?

No, I have not. It wouldn't hurt to do so though.

I hope these help. If I need to I'll take the gun apart to take better pictures.

oli700 said:
LTB45 said:
aksavanaman said:

Exactly, I would check the action of the claw and make sure it is lifting easily and all the way, not getting hung. On the first shell picture you can clearly see the bolt face left an imprinting the portion of the shell that is by the extractor claw…..

1)Either the bolt face is a little off (look for the imprint on other shells)Also the primer strike doesn’t look quite as deep in the first picture, another possible sign of a cartridge that isn’t fully seated against the bolt face

2)Extractor claw is not lifting efficiently or 100% (my guess because if it were working good it would push up over a bad shell without tearing it from the breach side)

3)The brass head on the ammo is a little slanted at the base ……

Either way it looks like you should figure it out before you fire more. The dent in the first picture could represent a shell firing out of battery….check it thoroughly OOB fire can be a bad day

What's OOB?

Also, I just remembered that I started to notice this once the shells failed to eject after firing. They started to fail ejecting after 30 or so rounds. Before this they didn't have a problem ejecting.

aksavanaman said:

I don't think I did, but I cleaned it all before even thinking to look at that.

lol, I thought we were talking a 500 , that explains the bolt imprint in the brass, the bolt face looks normal to me.....mayby your extractor claw is sticky

Out Of Battery
If the shell isn’t all the way into the chamber or the face of the bolt isn’t flush with the brass it is considered out of battery, fully in battery would be the cartridge loaded completely in the camber and the bolt face is flush with the brass

When you say it was failing to eject, was it failing to extract ….or was it extracting from the camber and failing to eject clear of the ejection port ?

oli700 said:
lol, I thought we were talking a 500 , that explains the bolt imprint in the brass, the bolt face looks normal to me.....mayby your extractor claw is sticky

I guess I should have stated it was a 930 in the beginning. Lesson learned.

oli700 said:

Out Of Battery
If the shell isn’t all the way into the chamber or the face of the bolt isn’t flush with the brass it is considered out of battery, fully in battery would be the cartridge loaded completely in the camber and the bolt face is flush with the brass

When you say it was failing to eject, was it failing to extract ….or was it extracting from the camber and failing to eject clear of the ejection port ?

It was failing to eject clear of the ejection port.

Everything looks fine, I have shot a ton of Estate, cheaper but I haven’t seen any problems. I am personally suspect of the extractor claw.....without the shotgun in hand it’s my best guess.....try other ammo like has been suggested, see if it happens again......your gun might not like , or is too rough on the Esates.....thin head but they usually hold up

I have shot a TON of Estates at Trap targets with my 1100 and never saw anything like that.
My guess would be a very sticky extractor.
I would remove the bolt, inspect the extractor and then soak the entire assembly in some #9 for a while. Blow it off with some compressed air and lube.
You might need to take apart the extractor and inspect the spring. If it is as easy as my 1100 this will only take you 2 minutes.
Be careful that you dont lose the spring.

After playing with it, the extractor doesn't feel as smooth as it did before. It kind of sticks a little so I'll do what you suggested and soak it in #9.

Back