• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is This A Good Deal?

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
My buddy has offered me a 2 year old Maverick 12 ga. field and security combo It has a ported 24 inch barrel along with the 18 1/2" barrel. It has a Hogue over molded 12" LOP stock. It also includes a 3 set of Briley chokes and a good sling. His asking price is $375. Everything is in immaculate condition. I think it's a fair deal but maybe not a screamin' great one. I have been wanting to add another shotgun to the house but had planned on a similar Mossberg 500 set up. Thoughts?

your average 88 runs 200 brand new Mike......500 is in the 350 range . If you like all the stuff with it , it sounds like a good deal.

If you wanted to just add a shotgun to the house you can get the 88 new for cheaper

But seeing all you are getting for only another $175, it would be foolish to pass this up!

I'm surprised your friend doesn't know the value if this.

Thanks for the input. He is a good friend and he does know the value. He's a bachelor that likes to buy stuff. He gets tired of it in 2-3 years and then wants it gone. That's the difference between us. When it comes to some things, including guns, I'll hang onto it indefinitely even if I'm not using it much anymore.

He said the 88 combo ran him $250 when he got it and the stocks are about $50. The chokes on Midway are about $45 each. That comes out to about $475 new including the sling. I'm going to take him up on it but was curious what you all thought. Another plus is that PA still has no check requirement for private party long guns sales so I can save there too, not to mention the hassle.

I like the deal too, always liked Hogue and have heard only good stuff about the Briley chokes.

Offering him $325 sounds better to me.

Of course, he's going to talk you up and you can probably take it home for $350 with any luck.

I never pay full value on a used gun. Even one that is in really good shape.

The recent Winchester 1300 that I got looked like it had just been taken out of the box. I brought it home for $200 cash face to face.

Just sayin'.

Of course, he's going to talk you up and you can probably take it home for $350 with any luck.

The recent Winchester 1300 that I got looked like it had just been taken out of the box. I brought it home for $200 cash face to face.

Just sayin'.
I thought about haggling but the guy has given me so many great deals I almost feel bad too. I have haggled some in the past with him though. If it was a stranger or acquaintance I wouldn't hesitate. We'll see what happens at work tomorrow.

Just sayin'.
I thought that too

The Hogue overmolded short LOP stock and the two barrel combo plus three Briley chokes makes me think (since it's an 88 not a 500) I'd offer $275 and if he counters maybe agree to just north of three-hundred.

I need to clarify some things from my original post. The 88 was originally purchased as an 18 1/2" barrel model and he added the Mossberg ported 24" barrel on his own. Mossberg didn't offer this combo in the field/home arrangement. It also has 4 chokes, not 3.

I did offer lower and he didn't bite so far. We are at a friendly impasse right now and have thrown around other items to possibly include in the deal. At least Monday morning has been a lot more interesting. It took me a week of patience to get him down to $100 and some .22 LR ammo for a barely used 10/22 for my boy.

That's a good price on the Ruger.

Closest that I ever got to that was $100 for a Marlin 60.

Well, the final deal is for the original $375:
Maverick 88 with 18 1/2 barrel
24" ported vent rib barrel
Hogue over molded stock and forend (I missed the forend earlier)
Sling
4 Briley chokes
3 new Pmags. (Added instead of reducing the price)

Thanks for the comments. We have been joking that I need to let him know what guns I'd like in a year or two so he can buy them and sell them to me later. So far I have purchased/traded to get 2 rifles, the 88, and two 511 Tactical back packs (24 and 48 hour packs).

Welcome to the Mav88 family! Great reliable shooter. I've put hundreds of rounds through mine and never a hiccup. Doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.

Welcome to the Mav88 family! Great reliable shooter. I've put hundreds of rounds through mine and never a hiccup. Doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.
Thanks for the welcome. I am hoping to get to the range this weekend and break it in as my shotgun.

I guess I'm too late on this but I'll offer my opionion anyway.

If you are going to use the barrels and chokes it's an OK deal, else not.

Personally I find myself only using one choke for 99% of what I do. The other 1% is a turkey choke.

Back