• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

JM Pro 24 Range Report

NorCal707

.22LR
Have had my new JM Pro 24 out twice in the last two weekends so figured I should post a range report. For reference, date of manufacture as shown on the box was 6/2014. I did a full detail strip, cleaning, and inspection before lubing/reassembling according to Jerry M's video on YouTube. Installed a couple of goodies - the OR3GUN Marine Spacer Tube and a Limbsaver Airtech 10809 recoil pad. I had read the recommendations on doing a 100 round or so break-in with hi-brass rounds but decided to forgo that & see what happened with low-brass loads instead.

Last weekend, I headed out with my Brother Steve in wet, foggy conditions with on/off light drizzle. Using our Champion WheelyBird powered thrower, I shot about 200 rounds of cheap Herter's #8 1290fps field loads I had scored from Cabela's for $45/case of 250. My JM ate it with no complaints and in fact had zero issues except for choke tubes loosening on both of our guns (Steve has a JM 24 too). Yesterday, we got out again and shot another 200 rounds each in dryer conditions, again with no issues except for choke tubes loosening once again on both of our guns. Would some Blue Loctite used sparingly be the ticket to preventing the choke issues?

FYI, my brother has had his Pro since September and followed recommendations to break the gun in with 100 or so hi-brass slug/buckshot rounds. Since then, he has been running cheap WalMart Winchester/Federal bulk packs of 1200fps #7-1/2 to #8 shot field loads with no FTF/FTE issues. He now has over 1000 rounds through his - detail stripping/cleaning/lubing every 300 rounds. We also replaced both of our stock front FiberOptic sights with the HiViz CompSight Mdl. PM1002 and are very pleased with the way the much brighter HiViz sights stand out.

Cheers - Dave & Steve

Last edited:
I have the same issue of my choke loosening on me while shooting. I just remember to check it every so often. Shouldn't really be an issue to just put a dab of loctite on it to keep it in place.

If you use Loctite or equivalent, I would not put more than a quarter to one half of a drop. Those threads are very fine and the Loctite will spread easily. Try "blue" Loctite to see if it works for you, then red if it keeps loosening up but not a lot of either. To remove you may need a heat gun on the end of the barrel and a tight-fitting choke tube wrench...

...little bit of regular super glue will fix her up too.

Holds while it needs to, but breaks up easy enough when it needs to as well...

Back