• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

KEL TEC

S

SHOOTER13

Here are my Kel Tecs...a PF-9 and a P-32 ( shown with belt clips attached )

P32PF9-2.jpg

The Kel-Tec PF-9 is a 9 mm caliber, recoil operated, locked breech, double action only, semi-automatic pistol based on (and sharing many parts with) Kel-Tec’s earlier P11 and P3AT models. Kel-Tec claims the PF-9 is the flattest and lightest 9 mm pistol ever mass-produced. It was designed as a concealment and backup weapon for law enforcement and for civilian concealed carry. Kel-Tec first released the PF-9 into the market in the fall of 2006.

The P-32 operates on Browning's short-recoil principle. The barrel travels a short distance rearward while locked to the slide and the rear is then tilted down and unlocked from the slide through the action of a cam slot. The slide then continues rearward under inertia, extracting the spent case from the chamber and ejecting it. This design closely follows the Browning Hi-Power design. After the slide reaches the limit of its travel, the compressed recoil spring moves it forward again, stripping a new round from the magazine into the chamber. The cam slot and take-down pin move the chamber upward and the locking lugs on the barrel reengage those in the slide. Kel Tec first released the P-32 in 1999.

KELTECPF9-2.jpg

The PF-9 pictured above also has a Laserlyte Subcompact FSL-1 (v1) Laser attached.

I bought my Mom a two-tone P32 a few years back, but haven't owned a KelTec myself. That's all gonna change very soon. My birthday's comin up in a few months and it looks like the wife has finally given up on getting me anything non-firearm related. This time around she just asked what gun or gun part I wanted! After the Springer Mil-Spec she bought me for our anniversary I figured I'd go easy on her. I've had my eye on the new Coyote Brown PF9 for a few months now. My LGS just got one in stock and the wife contacted my them for details this afternoon. Not sure when I'll actually have it in my hands, but here's a pic to hold you over...

They did some really nice work on the slide finish and I really love the look of the all-over tan. The black controls break it up nicely too. I'm lookin forward to adding this one to the collection. Better pics will follow once I have mine...

I was wondering when you would finally hook up with that PF-9. Just make sure you do the "fluff & buff" to insure reliability. Trigger is heavy and takes some getting used to...also remember it's a belly gun for SD, not a far range pistol, and you will find yourself carrying it quite a bit. I like the fact that it's small, light, yet delivers a 9mm punch. They can be ammo specific, mine hits POA/POI with Winchester Silvertips.

Nice bunch of people here...

http://www.thektog.org/forum/

Patience is a virtue I was blessed with my friend. I've just been waiting for the opportune moment. In this case, my b-day + LGS inventory = free gun for me! :lol:

Thanks for the info and the ammo tip. A quick polish on the feed ramp is a pre-requisite for all of my pistols. I'll definitely do my research ahead of time and from what you say, I'll likely be looking into a trigger job. I get that a CC pistol needs a stiff trigger, but I'm not a fan of bullish triggers on my autos. My booger hook is my safety and I never carry in a way that anything other than my finger can contact the trigger. I'm sure lookin forward to get'n it in my hands...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I get that a CC pistol needs a stiff trigger, but I'm not a fan of bullish triggers on my autos. My booger hook is my safety and I never carry in a way that anything other than my finger can contact the trigger. I'm sure lookin forward to get'n it in my hands...

I'm with you there. I know we're in the minority, but if you are smart about how you carry (right holster for you) and consistently practice your draw (you should be doing that anyways), you should never have an issue with a 3.5 lb trigger. I wouldn't go lower than that for a carry gun, but I feel 100% safe with my Glock in that configuration.

No complaints. Got about 1500 rounds through it with only 2 stove pipes which was within the first 600 rounds. Have read lots of stories about getting bad recoil springs, but I've had no issues.

Good...I too have been hearing stories about the Gen 4's...

I own a Gen 3 G30SF...carry it everyday !!

Guess we should do this under the Glock header...

Sn3aKyGuY said:
I'm with you there. I know we're in the minority, but if you are smart about how you carry (right holster for you) and consistently practice your draw (you should be doing that anyways), you should never have an issue with a 3.5 lb trigger. I wouldn't go lower than that for a carry gun, but I feel 100% safe with my Glock in that configuration.

Amen,

I'm ok with a reasonably heavier break, but the loooooooong pull is what always gets me. They need a two-stage trigger kit with a smoothe 1.5lb take-up and a light, crisp 3.5lb break. That would be perfect...

SHOOTER13 said:
Here are my Kel Tecs...a PF-9 and a P-32 ( shown with belt clips attached )

P32PF9-2.jpg

The Kel-Tec PF-9 is a 9 mm caliber, recoil operated, locked breech, double action only, semi-automatic pistol based on (and sharing many parts with) Kel-Tec’s earlier P11 and P3AT models. Kel-Tec claims the PF-9 is the flattest and lightest 9 mm pistol ever mass-produced. It was designed as a concealment and backup weapon for law enforcement and for civilian concealed carry. Kel-Tec first released the PF-9 into the market in the fall of 2006.

The P-32 operates on Browning's short-recoil principle. The barrel travels a short distance rearward while locked to the slide and the rear is then tilted down and unlocked from the slide through the action of a cam slot. The slide then continues rearward under inertia, extracting the spent case from the chamber and ejecting it. This design closely follows the Browning Hi-Power design. After the slide reaches the limit of its travel, the compressed recoil spring moves it forward again, stripping a new round from the magazine into the chamber. The cam slot and take-down pin move the chamber upward and the locking lugs on the barrel reengage those in the slide. Kel Tec first released the P-32 in 1999.

KELTECPF9-2.jpg

The PF-9 pictured above also has a Laserlyte Subcompact FSL-1 (v1) Laser attached.

Did you do something to the stock grip on your PF-9? It looks as if you had it stippled? (if that the right word?)
I have the blued/grey version. I am thinking about have the the slide parkerized or DuraCoated so it will be all grey. I have since added the blet clip and pinky extension.
IMG00023-20100701-1831.jpg

Awastatyme wrote: "Did you do something to the stock grip on your PF-9? It looks as if you had it stippled? (if that the right word?)"

No...just looks that way in the bad pic I took...tho it would help if it was stipled ( correct word ) !!

The Mrs. and I are goin to pick up the Coyote Brown PF9 in the morning. I'll post up some pics once we get it back home...

...well here it is, the new Coyote Tan PF9...

KelTec did a great job on the finish with this little booger and it's got a great feel to it. Can't wait to get out to the range and put a few hundred rounds down range. This will definitely end up in the carry rotation once I get it properly broken in...

Congrats Bro...!!

As we have talked about, the 'Fluff and Buff' and a hundred rounds downrange and she will prove to be the smallest and lightest 9mm carry pistol you ever dropped into your pocket !! She might be ammo specific, so try the Silvertips as a start.

Lookin' forward to the range report... ;)

Hey Shooter, any experience with a steel guide-rod in your PF9?

I saw Kel-Tec offers the upgrade. Any pros 'n cons you're aware of? I swapped out the plastic guide rods on my Berettas for steel, but it was more for aesthetics and just to make me feel better. Didn't really make any difference in performance. Just curious...

Yes sir !...

I did know Kel Tec was offering the upgrade to the steel guide rods, but as of this date I myself have not taken advantage of it...and would also add that I will in the near future. That is one part I would rather be steel than plastic...because I would imagine it would be more durable.

I've read a couple posts on the Kel-Tec forums where folks say they started experiencing reliability issues after switching to steel. It's only about $8, so I guess it won't hurt to try it out...

Alright...I'll wait for your range report...adding that with the plastic guide rod, I have had zero reliability problems... Guessing that's why I haven't bothered with the steel rod.

Back