• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Laser device on shotgun

selous

.270 WIN
I bought some weeks ago a laser device to install in my Mossberg 500 persuader.It can be of great value when looking for wounded dangerous game in the night.I added UTG quick mount to install it in seconds.The laser is about 30 mW and the line is visible in low light condition.
The place we hunt is plenty of "tunnels" in the dense brush that the wild boar uses in the night to move around.Sometimes,when following blood trail we have to go four legs or make a hard machete work to reach the boar.
This kind of shotgun(flaslight+laser+pistol grip) is a good companion for this type of terrain.
What could be a proper distance to zero the laser? I was thinking betwen 25-30 yds maximun.Any advice is welcome.
The side shell carrier is made by myself,in one hour, using some gadgets (Dremel tool,3M velcro,plastic from VHS box,foam,...)and imagination.Unfortunately,here we do not have the easy access to accesories that you have in your Country.... :(

[img]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk77/jselous/IMG_2020recort.jpg[/img]

Awesome setup selous !!

I would imagine 25 to 30 yrds for the laser sight-in is a good choice...

The zero distance for me would be the potential minimum safe distance between me and the boar. If a boar charges, I would want the laser to be as accurate as possibe the closer the animal gets to me. I say potential minimum safe distance because there's a point where if the 12ga hasn't stopped it yet I would likely stop shooting and get my @$$ up a tree... :lol:

OK,I agree with your words, but the question is to find a good balance between distance and effectiveness taking into account that maximun visibility in that terrain at night could be 25-30 yards.
With laser line positioned about 2.5 above barrel axis ,if you zero it at 25 yds.,you won´t miss the vitals in a 0-45 yds. range.
OH,forgot to say:most ot the terrain is evergreen oak.Difficult to find a good tree to climb.... :cry:

Back