• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Lions and Tigers and Bears! oh my!

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
http://news.yahoo.com/armed-police-seek ... 44930.html

It's sad that people do this sort of garbage. The victims in this debacle are the animals. I know that the cops had no other way to control it, but it's just sad to hear and see such beautiful animals go to waste in such a way as this.

How close is this town to you Brad? I hope it's not to close, but if it is be careful. I'd hate to hear more bad news.

Yeah, you hate to see this kinda crap.

I can't even fathom someone unleashing a full on big game safari in my hometown. It's easy for folks to pass judgement on the sheriff for ordering the animals killed, but I can't imagine any other way to handle that desperate a situation on such short notice. I hate that the animals had to die, but better to protect the lives of local residents. Can you imagine being the neighbor next door living in terror from hearing lions roar all night? As sad as the whole ordeal is, I know there are likely a lot of locals finding relief and security knowing that it's over...

That is so sad! But, as unfortunate as it is, if there were exotic animals all over my neighborhood I would hope that they'd do the same thing to keep my kids safe. Still doesn't make it feel right, but sometimes tough decisions have to be made when human survival is at stake. Regardless, it still is such a shame that innocent animals were taken for 1 mans selfish acts.

Sorry I'm just now getting to this. I've been protecting my property from ravenous bears...

Just kidding! Its about 2 hours away as the crow flys. NiteSites parents are still very close to that area.

It does suck that the animals were largely put down (50 of 56), but there is also a heavily residential area right there. As Jack Hana had said, its tragic the fate of the animals, but how much more so had human life been lost while trying to save animals.

You do what you do and dont look back my friends.

There is still a monkey missing, but it may be in a tigers belly?

Soooo... What happened to all that meat? Me, my kids, and dogs are hungry!

I give a lot of credit to the Sheriff of Muskingun County for making the correct decision. Daylight was fading and there were dozens on the loose. And I have a lot of respect for the Deputies and Police Officers and Troopers and Fish & Game Officers who had to fan out and find these dangerous animals. Keep in mind that most of these officers had to dispatch the wild animals with sidearms and 5.56mm rifles. Remember, the first deputies on scene were responding to a "wild animal loose" call and things went immediately south upon their arrival. Had they known what they were going to encounter, I know that each officer would have wanted something of a LOT heavier caliber and more daylight instead of looming darkness. Can you imagine the officers anguish of having to kill bengal tigers, and doing so in an environment that heavily favored the animals, in the darkness and heavy rainfall, with available weapons which were basically slingshots?

I grew up in Muskingum County and my parents now live on the outskirts of Zanesville, very close to where this all unfolded. They said it was a very unnerving night for everyone, and because of the 5:30 pm news window EVERYBODY was given the word before the 6-o'clock news ended.

Sad story, but no citizens were injured and the police did a valiant job of containing the situation against all odds.

As a side note, Muskingum County Sheriff Matt Lutz is the son of Lieutenant Michael Lutz of the same department, who was killed in the line of duty by a gunman one early morning in 1994. I served as a deputy with that department in the 1980s and knew and served alongside Mike. That his son followed in his fathers career footsteps says a lot about both men, and Matt was a Deputy at the time of his fathers murder. I know "Lt Mike" is real proud of his son this week.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/678-lieuten ... ael-j-lutz

Yeah, it's very unfortunate for the animals because they had no choice but to be there, and only did what they knew to do when released.

As unfortunate as it is, in my humble opinion, the LEO's did the right thing by doing their job (protecting neary citizens).

Even if it was a tough call.

Back