• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magpul MOE Forend Install Problem

claws

.22LR
I installed this forend on my new 500 6 shot Cruiser with the heavy walled breacher barrel. I had a problem with binding at the end of the ejection stroke. After removing the barrel and cycling the action with no binding problems I realized that the Anti Rotation Insert was causing the forend to bind once it reached a point on the barrel close to the receiver. This barrel has a very pronounced taper and the circumference of the barrel at the binding point was too great to allow the "ears" on the Anti Rotation Insert to slide smoothly under the barrel at this point. I decided to try the other Anti Rotation Insert supplied with the forend. Although contrarty to the Magpul instructions, This seems to have fixed the problem. The action works smoothly now with no binding.
Magpul instructions say to use the 414-0081 Insert for the Mossberg 500 and 590 and to use the 414-0082 Insert for the 590A1. The Insert for the 590A1 is the one that works on my 500.

Although I haven't had a chance to test fire the weapon yet (It's raining here), it functions perfectly when cycling my dummy rounds.

Hope this might help someone with a similar gun trying to install this forend.

Kim

Thanks for the post.

The Magpul instructions are correct. What Mossberg doesn't publish is that the heavy walled barrels on their 500 breachers are actually 590A1 barrels. Glad you got it installed and functioning properly...

Thanks for the post.

The Magpul instructions are correct. What Mossberg doesn't publish is that the heavy walled barrels on their 500 breachers are actually 590A1 barrels. Glad you got it installed and functioning properly...

Thanks again, LES. You have given me a great deal of useful information in the short time I've been a member of this forum.

I really like the Moe Forend and the SGA stock on my new gun. I gave up on the pistol grip and the Raptor birds head grip. While the PG would have been fine for hip shooting, any kind of aimed fire would place the PG too close to my face and my left arm fully extended to reach the end of the action stroke. I have relatively short arms for my height and a bad back, so using the gun with the Magpul stock and forend is much more comfortable for me. Still waiting for a break in the weather so I can get out and throw some lead down range.

Kim

Glad to help.

Let us know how you like it once you've had an opportunity to send a few down range...

Back