• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MikeD's 835 project gun

I'm glad you went with camo! I don't think black would have looked that good... If you get really ambitious you could always dip the stock to make it match.

rjpoog1989 said:
I'm glad you went with camo! I don't think black would have looked that good... If you get really ambitious you could always dip the stock to make it match.

The thought had crossed my mind but when I started looking at the taking the stock apart I decided against it. Maybe as a later project after this years season.

I'm hoping to get at least the camo dip done tonight and possibly a layer of clear-coat. The top coat takes a while to fully cure so I'm pushing it to be ready to pattern on Sunday.

I think the stock and forend are great!!!

I need a tactical butterknife! Thats cool! :D

I've just spent the last two hours tying to get a single test piece to turn out and all I'm getting is slimy goo all over the parts. AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!

It worked fine last night doing the knife. Now, I can't make it work for the life of me. Same water temp. Tired varying the amount and time used with the activator. I just can't make this stuff come out.

I'm so frustrated right now that I just have to walk away.

Searching some of the forums it looks like I may still be using too much activator based on the symptoms.

I may try it again tonight if I can find some time.

Edit: OK that was a little disingenuous, you all know I WILL find time to try it at least once. ;) :lol: :lol:

I'll get it eventually. I was just hoping to have it done for the spring opener on Monday.

Things are never as easy as they seem. As frustrating as it is, I feel I'm learning a lot from my mistakes and slowdowns on this one. Apart from the actual disassembly of the gun, this whole process has been something new to me. Definily a lot different then the Krylon and fern stencils I've used in the past. LOL

I hate to admit it but I think i have been defeated on this one. I stayed up late and tried tried several combinations last night and have spent a lot of time this morning working on this and still have nothing to show for it. I've already used up over 1/2 of the film.

I don't get it, everyone and their brother has made a YouTube video about easy this is and I can't get a single piece to come out.

Props go out to anyone that has been able to hydrodip their parts successfully, this has been an embarrassingly humbling task.

My buddy thinks the combo of the tan receiver and and the camo stock look good together.

Maybe you could make a call or an email to Ammo Head. The vendor here. Might be able to giveyou some poinyers. I know it won't be ready for the opening day...but...you have all month long to hunt right?

If it doesn't get done on time for a hunt....I would think you still have another few months before fall opening day...right?

You'll get it...one way or another...

My season runs from 4/23 through 5/6, only two weeks. I think one of the later seasons runs longer.

I may try to drop him a PM.

I tried to assemble the gun "as is" today but hit another roadblock. The Knoxx forend does not have enough clearance to allow the use of a Hogue extended nut. DOH. I will file it down tomorrow. For opening day I'll be sporting my 930 or 500C. I'm not without excellent alternative choices. :D

I know there are some others in MI that have done the graphics as well, I've seen their posts on another forum. I may try to ask them for some advice or see if they want to mentor a noob. LOL

Often it's not until I frustrate myself to the point I have to walk away for a while that all of a sudden the answer becomes obvious. Perhaps this is one of those cases.

Man... I hope you get it Mike!!!

I too like the tan and camo though!!! :D

Well, I decided to assemble it as it. I may or may not try to add the camo dip again later but I kind of like the way lt looks right now.

Here's what she looks like as of today:

835_complete_006.jpg

835_complete_005.jpg

835_complete_004.jpg

835_complete_003.jpg

835_complete_001.jpg

I really like how that turned out. I vote no camo dipping.

+1 to no dip. It really looks good like it is.....

Mike!!!

Well done, it looks sweet, the color is awesome with the camo furniture!

I'm gonna say skip the dip too! ;)

Thanks for the complements and feedback.

The only think I still need is a new safety. Somehow in the midst of things I forgot to order a new one. The old one is functional but I want something other than the original plastic one.

The more I see it, the more it's growing on me. I think I will forgo the dip on this one.

At some point I may also paint the rail and repaint the receiver to fix the blemishes I left the first time. But most importantly, I want to get this one to the range and do some patterning. Next turkey season can't come soon enough. :-D

Back