• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

Re: What's the difference? Mossberg 50411 vs. 50521

Found this thread elsewhere, which says that the 50521 (cheaper version) is pretty much identical to the 50411 (and thus a pretty much standard 6-shot Mossberg 500), except that it has a "pinned forend." Is this a drawback and/or would this cause me a lot of problems if I go to swap forends for a tri-rail at some point?

Is this a drawback and/or would this cause me a lot of problems if I go to swap forends for a tri-rail at some point?

You would have to purchase an appropriate length action bar assembly in addition to any new forend you want.

nIxcjzO.jpg

TheJackal said:
You would have to purchase an appropriate length action bar assembly in addition to any new forend you want.

I read elsewhere that this is true of all "newer" (in this instance the reference was 2009 and newer) 500s? If so, it doesn't seem like it's a drawback at all.

I read elsewhere that this is true of all "newer" (in this instance the reference was 2009 and newer) 500s?

It seems to vary model to model.

I bought a new manufacture 500 Persuader not 9 months ago and it had a regular forend / action tube setup.

Your best bet would be to try and buy one from a store where you can hold and inspect it before you buy, that way you'll know for sure what you're getting.

TheJackal said:
I read elsewhere that this is true of all "newer" (in this instance the reference was 2009 and newer) 500s?

It seems to vary model to model.

I bought a new manufacture 500 Persuader not 9 months ago and it had a regular forend / action tube setup.

Your best bet would be to try and buy one from a store where you can hold and inspect it before you buy, that way you'll know for sure what you're getting.

Embarrassing as it may be, I wouldn't have the first idea how to tell an action tube frontend from a pinned one by visual inspection. Any tips on that front?

On the other hand, the 50521, which apparently has the pinned frontend, is the only 500 that comes parkerized AFAIK, which is kind of a big plus. So I guess it's a tradeoff. Which is more important - parkerized (50521) or action tube frontend (other 500 models)?

Embarrassing as it may be, I wouldn't have the first idea how to tell an action tube frontend from a pinned one by visual inspection. Any tips on that front?

On the other hand, the 50521, which apparently has the pinned frontend, is the only 500 that comes parkerized AFAIK, which is kind of a big plus. So I guess it's a tradeoff. Which is more important - parkerized (50521) or action tube frontend (other 500 models)?[/quote]

If you take a look at the pic Jackal posted you will see in the third figure down is the pinned forend.
The big disadvantage to this is if you ever want to change the forend grip you will need to buy both the action tube and the forend grip.

Here's another pic of the forends for ya.

The bottom one is the pinned type.

Attachments

• Maverick88forearm pinned.jpg
    Maverick88forearm pinned.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 287
  • Mossberg_500_forend_nut.jpg
    Mossberg_500_forend_nut.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 287

old mossy said:
If you take a look at the pic Jackal posted you will see in the third figure down is the pinned forend.
The big disadvantage to this is if you ever want to change the forend grip you will need to buy both the action tube and the forend grip.

Here's another pic of the forends for ya.

The bottom one is the pinned type.

Thanks! Super obvious once you just know what you're looking for. Seems like the 50521 might be a great option. A parkerized 500 for $289 shipped? Then, if I ever want to switch out front ends, just do the easy tube swap and bam. Seems good.

Hello
I purchased my Mossberg 500 (50511) from Bud's. Of course it is blued and does have the NON-PIN forend which I was glad to get. I was going to get wood furniture but kind of like the black plastic! Also, the wood furniture is selling for outrageous prices. With my military discount, you couldn't beat the price. Here is the link. For the price and free shipping, it is a great deal.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... Heatshield

Ron

Attachments

• 500a.jpg
    500a.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 253
  • 500d.jpg
    500d.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 500e.jpg
    500e.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 253

Good lookin' shotty. :)

I purchased a 50411 (new) earlier this year because I couldn't find a 50521 which I really wanted (liked the finish better). The 50411 came with a "standard" forend (not pinned). Shortly thereafter I found a 50521 (also new) available so I bought it. The 50521 had a pinned forend so it was a simple swap - added a Akita stock and a Mesa shell holder and life is good. Oh I sold the 50411 for what I paid for it.

First set of pics are with the standard black plastic stock/forend.
Second set is with he wood I just put on. Ron

Attachments

• 500a.jpg
    500a.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 464
  • 500b.jpg
    500b.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 462
  • 500d.jpg
    500d.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 460
Updated with wood

Tanker said:
First set of pics are with the standard black plastic stock/forend.
Second set is witht he wood I just put on. Ron

Attachments

• 500 wood.jpg
    500 wood.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 460
  • 500 wood1.jpg
    500 wood1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 458
  • 500 wood3.jpg
    500 wood3.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 459
Great lookin' shotty! The wood makes quite a difference. :D

(whats that big critter in the last pic at 12 o'clock?)

Did that recoil pad come with the stock? I'd like to eventually replace the brown one on mine with a black one like yours.

LOOKS FANTASTIC! So glad more people enjoy the aesthetics of a wood stock (especially the "riot" style)

Yes, the recoil pad came with it. It is actually a dark chocolate brown. I assume it is original even though it does not say "Mossberg" on it. Ron

aksavanaman said:
Did that recoil pad come with the stock? I'd like to eventually replace the brown one on mine with a black one like yours.

LOOKS FANTASTIC! So glad more people enjoy the aesthetics of a wood stock (especially the "riot" style)

Back