• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

Re: my new Mossberg 500 Blackwater Series

I'm the same guy who takes a blowdryer to the dealership sticker on the back of the car, so take that for what it's worth.

Tried to find a heat shield, but with the breacher being a permanent fixture, have yet to find anything to try.

Any thoughts or endorsements out there?

srf11 said:
So this might be met with jeers by some, but I picked up the pistol grip Moss Blackwater model. Thought for the money it was a great piece of equipment. My only thing is that I'm not a fan of the Blackwater logo.

Anybody out there know how to remove it without scratching/scuffing the finish? Thanks in advance.

you can get it painted any color ya want by a dealer that coats them .

I think he likes the coating it has now, but only wants to get rid of the Black Water symbol without too much work... that I am not aware is possible :(

The Blackwater logo is laser etched into the receiver after the finish is applied. The only way to remove the logo would be to sand it off and completely re-finish the receiver...

Re: Mossberg 600AT KPR 12

vforce800 said:
Hello,

I just picked up an interesting Mossberg the other day and I am having trouble finding information on it.
It's a New Haven 600AT and the receiver is marked "KPR 12" It has a pistol grip and a 18.5 in barrel. Pretty standard in the Mossberg world I know, but what does the KPR 12 stand for? and do you think this gun left the factory in the pistol grip/short barrel config? I was wondering if it was built for police use or prisons.

tcecil88 said:
I googled "KPR 12 shotgun" and it referenced the New Haven 600AT KPR 12. Evidently it is just the model number of that particular version of the 600AT.

I realize I'm quoting some older posts, but I haven't been able to find any information about this gun either. A couple days ago I picked up this KPR 12. I have the original box for it, which says "Kimel Industries", KPR-12ga, Police Riot. The gun I have looks identical to those you posted, vforce800, and it's in excellent shape, too. So I think the KPR simply means Kimel Police Riot. Who knows..

Only this morning did I notice the Mossberg label by the loading port, which brought me here. Mine is labeled identically, New Haven 600AT.

My searching up to this point was for "Kimel Industries" which wasn't turning up much beyond some replica revolvers.

well got some parts today and got them installed . i bought the Choate +1 mag extension and the first one was wrong , not Choates fault . i ended up having a 590 mag tube on my 500 , i think Mossberg is keeping the accessories people on there toes . i also ordered a UTG flashlight but it did not work out due to being to big and the no room to mount it right without buying a action bar assembly and new forend at this time .

IMG_9181_zpsd37f511b.jpg

on the end of the mag tube you haft to slowly pry out the plug with a screw driver and keep pressure on it so it does not fly everywhere .

IMG_9182_zps4104fcb6.jpg

installed , just took a few minutes and thanks to Choate for the quickest customer service

IMG_9189_zpsf6579aaa.jpg

IMG_9195_zps1c387610.jpg

Can anyone help to identify this weapon?

Trying to negotiate long-distance with an elderly man and his daughter who are selling it.

Apparently the serial no is:

J916682

Any help would be much appreciated.

---

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton

Attachments

• Mossberg.JPG
    Mossberg.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 5,308
It could either be an older model 500 ATP-8, or a newer 8-shot Persuader retrofitted with wood furniture. Hard to tell from just the photo. You may try calling Mossberg with the serial number for a definitive answer...

Thanks L.E.S - kinda doubt this is the sort of guy who would have gone in for customizing his weapon. Plus he's an 'older model' too! So will check out the ATP-8 suggestion first...

Have tried emailing Mossberg via their website query form and via service@mossberg.com. No response from either so far.

Interesting - asked them to look at the manufacturer's stamp underneath the weapon in front of the magazine loading port. All it says is:

Mossberg – Made in USA
North Haven Conn
500 A-12 GA

Does that make it more likely to be a Persuader?

ATP's seem to be stamped accordingly - eg:

Attachments

• 500 ATP  ID.jpg
    500 ATP ID.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 5,297
It's possible, but Mossberg is nothing if not inconsistent.

Either way, it's not going to make much difference as far as value is concerned. The ATP was essesntially the predecessor to the Persuader. Some 500 ATP models had rifle sights, but in a bead set-up there is virtually no difference between the model pictured and a newer 500 Persuader other than the wood furniture. Considering one can purchace a brand new 20" 8-shot Persuader for just north of $300 I'd say that's your ceiling for comparative value. Researching resale value on used pursuaders in that configuration (reference model 50575) would give you a fair estimate of value in my opinion...

Very helpful info L.E.S. - thanks again.

Would have been nice to know the year of manufacture - but still no response from Mossberg.

Reckon I'll go for it anyway - they're asking $120 and it's been lightly used...

XxLaloCuraxX said:
I have...
- Mossberg 500 Persuader Tactical Tri-Rail, 12 Gauge
3237f9f7.jpg

and

- Mossberg 500 Field/Deer Combo, 12 Gauge
fe220aa3.jpg

Here are my pics...

ec5bc44b.jpg

856e89f4.jpg

a34dbf39.jpg

Hey man I have the same tactical try rail. What kind of stock did you put on it here's mine

imag0120x.jpg

metamondo said:
Very helpful info L.E.S. - thanks again.

Would have been nice to know the year of manufacture - but still no response from Mossberg.

Reckon I'll go for it anyway - they're asking $120 and it's been lightly used...

Yes Sir, glad to help.

You likely won't get an e-mail response from Mossberg. I would suggest calling them when you have the time. It'll take some effort and patience to get a live person on the phone, but it's worth a shot to get a mfg. date if it's important to you.

Good luck with the transaction and keep us posted...

It took a bit of time but have now received a response from Mossberg. Their representative, Mr Santa Hernandez dated the weapon using the serial number and provided the following additional info:

"Sir this gun was manufactured on March 27,1987.

This is an older model. It’s a hunting field model. A means it’s a 12ga, can be used for Trap and pigeon. It is an 8-shot model with a 20” cylinder bore barrel, wood stock and forearm birch wood.

Capacity would be 7 in the magazine tube and 1 in the chamber. Depending on the ammo using it will lower the capacity by 1, does not have chokes. You can shoot from 00 buckshot, regular slugs, field loads or magnum loads. It will handle 2-3/4” shells and 3”. "

ATP, Persuader...? Whatever. No further questions M'lord!

Look forward to getting my grubby paws on the beast...

---

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton

Back