• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

moss 500 chainsaw

papawsguns

Copper BB
hey guys i just recently bought the new 500 chainsaw model i love this shot gun, but the grip on the handle of the chain saw has so much play moving from side to side, i am concerned about it. does anyone know if this is normal. sure would like to get some feed back on this? thanks guys so much.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

How to you mean "play"...the way it is attached to the gun...or the way you grip it and your hand moves on the handle !?

500 forends have a lot of play to begin with. Attaching a handle to it like the chainsaw grip would certainly create a lot of wobble on the top end. Sounds normal to me...

wobble on the top end is exactly what i mean the top end of the handle wobbles back and forth alot looks like I got my answer thanks so much. i will be hanging out alot, i have had my ccl in tn for over 20 yrs. know most of the laws here, and i have a tn hand gun permit manual which i can refer to for laws i dont know again thanks guy

papaw

Is that what they called it in TN...Concealed Carry License ( CCL )...!?

In PA, it's LTCF ( License To Carry Firearm )...

papawsguns said:
wobble on the top end is exactly what i mean the top end of the handle wobbles back and forth alot looks like I got my answer thanks so much. i will be hanging out alot, i have had my ccl in tn for over 20 yrs. know most of the laws here, and i have a tn hand gun permit manual which i can refer to for laws i dont know again thanks guy

papaw

OK...When I seen the words "ccl" that you wrote, I took it you called it that in TN. No big deal...

Howdy papaw, and welcome to the club!

i called mossberg today and they suggested i ship to the factory and let them check it . So i guess I will be shipping back ,hope it doesnt take long

papaw

Have you shipped it yet?

Mossberg shotguns are known, almost notoriously, for having play in the forends. It isnt a bad thing, the play and loose tolerances actually contribute to long life, durability and functioning through dirt and debris.

Imagine the magazine being the center of a radius. Around that radius is the forend with a given amount of play and movement. The chainsaw handle is further away from the center and is a longer radius, as it moves around the focal point, the longer radius is more pronounced. It isnt any more movement than normal, but its the same principal of circle track racing and track running. The shorter radius is always the inside track with more travel to the outside. Just the geometry of it...

I hope that makes sense the way I said it, it sounds good in my head! :D

my 500 forend has quite a bit of rotational play in it. Especially when I put on the ergo railed forend and a couple of grips.

When I first did it a couple of years ago, I worried about maybe accidentally bending the action bars, but miles of carrying it through the woods by the grips putting all the weight and pressure on them and while using it, hasn't affected it a bit.

Back