1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Mossberg 4 x 4 .300 Win Mag with Wooden Stock

Discussion in 'Mossberg 4x4 Bolt Action' started by drtimtest, Mar 14, 2015.

1. drtimtest

drtimtest .410

Ok, I ordered a wooden stock from Mossberg and swapped out the stocks today. I would appreciate everyone's opinion on whether you all think it looks OK or whether I should stick to the black skeletonized stock? I just want to make sure that it isn't too weird looking. I look forward to your thoughts and opinions! 20150314_175036_resized-R.jpg 20150314_175110_resized-r.jpg
  2. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

JMO. I think it look's great. Better than the other stock for sure.
    LAZY EYED SNIPER likes this.
  3. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Global Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Weird?

Hell naw, it looks great! I like the looks of it a LOT better than the poly stock...
  4. drtimtest

drtimtest .410

I was worried about all the potential color clashing with a Marinecoat barrel, black scope and wooden stock. I doubt any deer will mention that however :)
  5. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Global Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

If anybody gives you $#!+ about the colors clashing you need to slap them cross eyed and take their man card away on the spot...
    ripjack13, drtimtest and old mossy like this.
  6. drtimtest

drtimtest .410

LOL! I will be sure to beat them like a red-headed stepchild!
    LAZY EYED SNIPER likes this.
  7. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Until you pointed out all the different colors, I hadn't noticed.

Now I can't keep it off my mind. Kinda like that song that gets stuck in your head.

Just kidding.

I like the wood stock.
    drtimtest likes this.
  8. Bobster

Bobster .30-06 Supporter

Yup, looks good, Doc! What are the 5 "slots" on the top of the foreend on either side? Vents or just indentations? And is it free-floated?
    drtimtest likes this.
  9. drtimtest

drtimtest .410

Bobster, this is Mossberg's OM Stock for the 4 x 4. When I ordered it I wasn't sure which design I was going to get as Mossberg seemed to change their designs a bit. When I got it I was pleasantly surprised as it is free floated and glass bedded. I like the fact that they are actual vents and not just indents for keeping the barrel cool :). The barrel and action fit very snug into the stock. Unfortunately when I was installing the trigger guard, I tightened the rear action screw too much and cracked the trigger guard. I received a replacement today and was more careful this time. All in all I am pleased with my cheek placement on the stock and ability to get a full sight picture through the scope quickly.
  10. drtimtest

drtimtest .410

I have to say that I have been missing the look of wood on my rifle (suddenly had flashbacks of the Marine Corps "this is my rifle, this is my gun...."):) One could have a field day with that statement. In all seriousness, I believe it gives this old girl some class:)
    old mossy likes this.
  11. rjpoog1989

rjpoog1989 20g

I like that gun a lot. I wish my .338 was marinecoat, but I have wood/matte black. How does it shoot?
    drtimtest likes this.
  12. jff01steen

jff01steen Copper BB

I know I'm a little late to the game here,but I think it's a beautiful piece of art work...I think you made the right decision...be proud...
    drtimtest likes this.
  13. drtimtest

drtimtest .410

Thank you! I am really happy with it.
  14. drtimtest

drtimtest .410

I forgot to answer your question. I haven't had a chance to take it to the range due to the weather. I will be taking it out the first week of April and I will keep everyone posted on how she shoots!
  15. Eddie Stewart

Eddie Stewart .22LR

I like that stock, it really looks better than the composite stock on mine. Would like to have one like that.
    meanstreak likes this.