• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Photo Gallery

I don't have any accessories on any of my firearms, but my Model 500 currently has black plastic stock set, so I do feel like a poser, but I don't want to beat up the wood set.

I don't have any accessories on any of my firearms, but my Model 500 currently has black plastic stock set, so I do feel like a poser, but I don't want to beat up the wood set.
Several people I know in Southeast Alaska use composite stocks, something like the Mossberg Mariner. Holds up better in all the wet. But being the purist I am wood stocks are worth the extra maintenance. Between Ballistol (which I highly recommend) and Johnsons Paste Wax I've had zero issues in the rain.

Here is my Model 500 in it's current incarnation, not a big fan of the stock set looks wise, but it is there for use (going to an outdoor range once in a while in good weather LOL), I'd rather sacrifice plastic over wood, given the choice. Now, if I ever go hunting, I might use my 1920's Stevens 520 or my 1930's Remington Model 11, both are blued and wood. Don't have a choice with them, plus if the wood has held up this long...taking in out in the "wilderness" in Ohio...LOL...you get the hint.

If I still lived in Alaska, this would be on the list to take into the Bush.

Having said that, when I actually lived in Alaska the only two firearms I had were a 1942 Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk.I* and a 1930's Stevens/Savage Model 15A Single Shot .22 rifle. So when I'd go backpacking...I'd get a real good connection with God LOL!!!
No really...other than my mind going places in the night in my tent wondering what was out there...I used common sense and never had an encounter with a Black or Brown Bear...
Honestly...LOL...I was more scared of bumping into a Moose...which did happen once by accident and that is a story for another time LOL.

But the few times I did haul my Lee-Enfield in the snow and/or rain, mud, etc. I was no big deal to keep in good nick...
Mark

Last edited:
Here is my Model 500 in it's current incarnation, not a big fan of the stock set looks wise, but it is there for use (going to an outdoor range once in a while in good weather LOL), I'd rather sacrifice plastic over wood, given the choice. Now, if I ever go hunting, I might use my 1920's Stevens 520 or my 1930's Remington Model 11, both are blued and wood. Don't have a choice with them, plus if the wood has held up this long...taking in out in the "wilderness" in Ohio...LOL...you get the hint.

That's a darned good looking rig! Sounds like you've had some of the true Alaskan adventures. Yo gotta love that feeling in a tent wondering if Yogi is out there. And I know what you mean about the moose. I am WAY more afraid of them than a bruin. I've been charged by a moose in Anchorage three times, it could have gone very bad. Back in my youth in the late 70's I worked for the AK Dept. of Fish & Game in Bristol Bay. That was my first up close encounters with Brown Bear and I've been fascinated by them ever since. I spent some time on Admiralty Island in SE AK that has the largest concentration of Brown Bear in the world. You're not on that island long before you run into one. I sure do miss those days.

If I still lived in Alaska, this would be on the list to take into the Bush.

Having said that, when I actually lived in Alaska the only two firearms I had were a 1942 Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk.I* and a 1930's Stevens/Savage Model 15A Single Shot .22 rifle. So when I'd go backpacking...I'd get a real good connection with God LOL!!!
No really...other than my mind going places in the night in my tent wondering what was out there...I used common sense and never had an encounter with a Black or Brown Bear...
Honestly...LOL...I was more scared of bumping into a Moose...which did happen once by accident and that is a story for another time LOL.

But the few times I did haul my Lee-Enfield in the snow and/or rain, mud, etc. I was no big deal to keep in good nick...
Mark

Spent a few weeks in Bristol Bay, Herring Season Gill Net, 1999. Was at Egegik (misspelled), Naknik, and one more village that I can't think of. Went overboard tying up to a tender...LOL...put a little more faith in God on that little fiasco LOL!!! That was the extent of my commercial fishing career...not my forte LOL. Actually did an alright job as a greenhorn deckhand, but just one season was enough for me.
Meanwhile back to Model 500s LOL.
Mark

Spent a few weeks in Bristol Bay, Herring Season Gill Net, 1999. Was at Egegik (misspelled), Naknik, and one more village that I can't think of. Went overboard tying up to a tender...LOL...put a little more faith in God on that little fiasco LOL!!! That was the extent of my commercial fishing career...not my forte LOL. Actually did an alright job as a greenhorn deckhand, but just one season was enough for me.
Meanwhile back to Model 500s LOL.
Mark

Ah, then you know the area a bit. Yep, been to those villages too, all up and down the Wood River system. Started out working on salmon analysis on the Igushik River and then Lake Aleknagik for Arctic Char. Okay, Okay don't get me going on this, I'm an Alaskan and my stories will get longer and my fisher bigger :) But dang you gotta love those Mossbergs Lol.

Ah, then you know the area a bit. Yep, been to those villages too, all up and down the Wood River system. Started out working on salmon analysis on the Igushik River and then Lake Aleknagik for Arctic Char. Okay, Okay don't get me going on this, I'm an Alaskan and my stories will get longer and my fisher bigger :) But dang you gotta love those Mossbergs Lol.

yeah those 500's are hard to beat

Good ol AK......got a cozy little place outside of Fairbanks......Got to be a place around here for you to tell a King story

yeah those 500's are hard to beat

Been awhile since I've been Fairbanks way. Bet you got a few fishing stories yourself my friend. Darned good looking Moss!

Good ol AK......got a cozy little place outside of Fairbanks......Got to be a place around here for you to tell a King story

So if it's black, unless you're an operator, you're a wannabe?
OK, OK... everybody please put your guns down. :) It's easy to sound a certain way to strangers on the internet. In another thread I also recently posted: "You know, I rag on plastic because it's fun to be a gun snob and to play the old fart, but it's low-maintenance and practical. Did you get a Mariner? This gun makes a lot of sense too if it's going to be banged around or be outside a lot."

In the end it all boils down to this, a matter of personal experience, need and taste (AKA it's a subjective topic with no automatic right or wrong):
I believe if you're an American, own a firearm and use it responsibly, it really doesn't matter what color it is.

Because you know that there's people who, when they see wood on a firearm or a model that has been around more than a couple of years, or a capacity below the accepted norm of the day (think revolvers) immediately decree that the gun and its owner are not capable. Some of these guys are professionals, by the way. And it's an equally gross and unfair generalization.

Options are a good thing since no two people are the same. I'm sure we all agree on that.

It's a good thing this is a gun forum, or my next sentence may get taken out of context. :D I am really starting to like the feel of wood!

I thought I wanted the Hogue stock and forend. Someday, I may still get it. However, I decided it wouldn't look much different than the stock furniture anyway. It's still just black synthetic material. I've been wanting to try wood furniture for a long time now, so on Sunday I found a great deal on this brand new forend and dual comb stock on eBay. I wanted the dual comb stock, anyway, because I have the 24" rifled barrel and also because I just like the looks of it better. The first thing I noticed was the grip on the stock was thicker than the Mossberg synthetic stock.That's gonna take a little getting used to. I also noticed that the gun feels more balanced now. With the extra weight of the wood, it doesn't feel as front heavy as before.

Here's the first pic. As I've said before, I'm not much into tactical accessories. However, I like the looks of the Mossberg heatshield, so I allow myself that one "guilty pleasure." :D Before I purchased the stock, I told myself there may be a possibility the sporting style forend won't work with the heatshield. The Mossberg synthetic sporting style forend doesn't work. You have to do some Dremel work to make it work. I was not going to sand the new forend to make it work, so I was prepared to take the heatshield off if I needed to. I was surprised to find out that the sporting forend works great with the heatshield. It even fits a lot better than the synthetic sporting forend.

I took a couple other photos with the 28" and 24" barrels installed. I put the higher comb on for the 24" barrel.

There's two things that I have to get used to. One is the looks. Since my 500 has the flat parkerized finish, and the 18.5" barrel is matte blued, the wood kind of looks a bit out of place to me. It would probably look a lot better with a nice gloss bluing instead, but it's not too bad on mine, I guess. The wood is starting to grow on me. :eek: The other thing is, the stock sits a little lower compared to the synthetic stock. If I press my cheek down as hard as I did on the synthetic stock, the bead disappears from my view whereas on the synthetic stock it was perfectly lined up. I just have to get used to not pressing down as hard, I guess. I can still feel the stock on my cheek, and can still get a good line of sight with the bead.

I should probably actually go shoot the thing, now. :D I haven't shot it in almost two years. The heatshield and 18.5" barrel have never had a single round fired with them (the barrel is a year old, and the heatshield is a year and a half old). :oops:

I have one question about the dual comb stock. Since it was brand new it came with all the hardware, including another stock bolt. One of the pieces is this tiny thing. I looked in the manual, and it doesn't mention this piece at all. Does anyone know what this is for?

Great lookin' Mossy which ever way you dress her up.! Thanks for the pics.:)

No idea what that part is.........some kind of bushing????

Very nice ! My statement of I like woodies always gets strange responses. No idea on that spacer. Not sure of the size unless its a spcer for the stock so a smaller bolt can be used but I seriously doubt that. Sure someone will know.

Thanks guys! The more I look at it, the more I'm liking the look of the wood, even with a flat finish on the gun. I can't wait to send a slug through it to see how it shoots with the wood stock. I'm hoping there'll be a noticeable difference since it's solid wood vs. hollow plastic. I sure like the checkering. I like the looks of the sporting style forend better, too. Of course, the first nick I get on it, my OCD will probably go nuts. o_O

Yeah, that strange piece looks like some sort of bushing to me, too. However, it won't fit anywhere. The only thing that goes through it easy enough is the screw. I thought maybe it was a spacer or something for the lower cheek pad. I put the screw through it to see what would happen, and when I tighten it, the cheek rest doesn't sit right. That was my only thought as to what it may be for, but that doesn't appear to be the case. For right now, it's just a mystery piece that I can't figure out what it's for.

Since I'm not too familiar with wood stocks, I have one question. What kind of wood is the stock and forend made out of? I looked at the store on Mossberg's website, but it just said hardwood with a Walnut stain. Is the wood walnut, too?

Back