• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500SPX Ammo suggestions?

Fire488

.22LR
I purchased my first shotgun which is the Mossberg 500SPX. I held them all and even shot a few of them prior to making my choice. The 500SPX just felt right to me. It is bad ass in my book. The question I have is what ammo do you guys recommend for range, home defense, etc. I know nothing about shot gun ammo and i am learning more just from reading the stickies in these boards, but i still want to hear what you guys think.

Thanks guys (and gals),

Scott

Fire488 said:
I purchased my first shotgun which is the Mossberg 500SPX. I held them all and even shot a few of them prior to making my choice. The 500SPX just felt right to me. It is bad ass in my book. The question I have is what ammo do you guys recommend for range, home defense, etc. I know nothing about shot gun ammo and i am learning more just from reading the stickies in these boards, but i still want to hear what you guys think.

Thanks guys (and gals),

Scott

There are many many many ideas on what is best for home defense rounds. Take a look here and you will get a good idea on what you need for your home and situation.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=331

Thanks, Mossy for the helping hand!

Fire488, the article Old Mossy linked to to is unfortunately full of innacuracies and was obviously written quite a long time ago. Mossy's intentions are surely good but there are many other great discussions here in the ammunition section to provide you with hours of opinions regarding shotgun SD ammo from not only Chuck Hawks (who is not a member here, BTW) but many other shotgunners who have compelling arguments and opinions as well.

Best Wishes,

nitesite

You're right nitesite,some of that stuff is old.

Shotgun stuff is ok.

Sorry 'bout that.

Mossy, the shotgun suggestions are perfectly adequate. No need to apologize. I thanked you!!! :D

I know. ;) I was referring to some of the hand gun stuff.
,,,,,,and you are the one go to guy about ammo.

old mossy said:
Fire488 said:

Thanks guys (and gals),

Scott

There are many many many ideas on what is best for home defense rounds. Take a look here and you will get a good idea on what you need for your home and situation.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=331
Thank you very much

nitesite said:
Thanks, Mossy for the helping hand!

Fire488, the article Old Mossy linked to to is unfortunately full of innacuracies and was obviously written quite a long time ago. Mossy's intentions are surely good but there are many other great discussions here in the ammunition section to provide you with hours of opinions regarding shotgun SD ammo from not only Chuck Hawks (who is not a member here, BTW) but many other shotgunners who have compelling arguments and opinions as well.

Best Wishes,

nitesite

Thanks for the update!

Howdy Fire488,

I've spent a lot of time comparing different brands and varieties of ammo. Here's a performance evaluation and write-up on some buckshot I put together that might be of interest...

Buckshot Pattern Test

After sending all the rounds down range, I find that the Rio Royal 2-3/4" 00 Buck (MFG#: RB129) is well suited for my needs...

For what it's worth,

Federal flight control 00 buck low recoil has patterned really tight for home defense distances (5-15 yards)

Same as Hornady TAP 00 Buck for home defense

Long distance shooting with a shotgun on paper using slugs I've found Federal Truball slugs group the best followed by Remmington rifled slugs.

For overall range shooting just grab any birdshot #7 - # 9 as it has low recoil and big spread (but I highly recommend NOT using it for home defense as the pellets don't have enough energy to penetrate deep enough to be a game changer)

Also since it's your first shotgun…. Mossberg has had a QC issue with the cartridge stopper. Here's some reading:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8835

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Howdy Fire488,

I've spent a lot of time comparing different brands and varieties of ammo. Here's a performance evaluation and write-up on some buckshot I put together that might be of interest...

Buckshot Pattern Test

After sending all the rounds down range, I find that the Rio Royal 2-3/4" 00 Buck (MFG#: RB129) is well suited for my needs...

much appreciated. looking into it now.

Water Monkey said:
For what it's worth,

Federal flight control 00 buck low recoil has patterned really tight for home defense distances (5-15 yards)

Same as Hornady TAP 00 Buck for home defense

Long distance shooting with a shotgun on paper using slugs I've found Federal Truball slugs group the best followed by Remmington rifled slugs.

For overall range shooting just grab any birdshot #7 - # 9 as it has low recoil and big spread (but I highly recommend NOT using it for home defense as the pellets don't have enough energy to penetrate deep enough to be a game changer)

Also since it's your first shotgun…. Mossberg has had a QC issue with the cartridge stopper. Here's some reading:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8835

some very good info here. I just purchased this gun so do you think this issue was corrected on my model? kinda sucks if it was n't repaired by now.

Tom396 said:
Two words: "Nick Burkhardt"

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7074&hilit=Nick

Take care. Tom Worthington

Hey Tom,
Thanks for linking this post. My wife and i have also discussed this topic and my weapons are all secured and locked so they cannot be accessed by anyone , but me. My wife wants no part of learning how to shoot a firearm, but at the same time she is comforted knowing that i have them and I am very responsible with them. My son is going to be 19 years old and i take him to the local range to practice. We both took a very good course on how to handle ourselves in the event of a home invasion or other reasons we may need to defend ourselves. My son respects the power that comes with knowing this and understands his responsibility to never abuse it. As I said my weapons are locked up in a safe, but can be accessed by me in a matter of around 3 seconds (i practice).
In the end i am happy we took the course and i pray that i never have to deal with a home invasion, but if i do I am ready. I just want to shoot at the range.

I really appreciate all the advice and links that you all have been giving me here. Thanks.

The QC issue is spotty. If you have issues with rounds feeding then look at the cartridge stopper first as that may be the primary reason.

I assume you know how to break it down to clean it and have done so already once you obtained it.

Water Monkey said:
The QC issue is spotty. If you have issues with rounds feeding then look at the cartridge stopper first as that may be the primary reason.

I assume you know how to break it down to clean it and have done so already once you obtained it.

I didn't know how till i read how from this board, but it was easy. I have not shot it yet and I do not own a dummy cartridge yet either. Should be shooting it tomorrow.

Back