• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: Review/Issues of my 930 SPX, Sept 2011

troutburger said:
I got the same memo with my return.

For me they repaired and returned the same unit. My tube holds the correct 7 + 1 now.

I believe that cotter pin goes on the trigger group. In fact i'm very positive it does. Better field strip it before the range trip.

So what did they do to get your capacity up to 7+1?

Re: Replacing Safety

I had the same problem after I took the safety apart. Somehow the ball got stuck on the red dot. I tried to pry it out but it didn't work. Then I held a strong magnet over the ball and gave the side of the receiver a sharp wrap with a plastic hammer and guess what. I was lucky. The ball came out and was stuck on the magnet. Lucky me. :D I also ordered a new screw from Brownell's.

I better be clear about the capacity, most 2-3/4" bird shot and some 00 buck; I will get 7 + 1 capacity.

All the 2-3/4" Slugs I have tried, Fiocchi LE Low Recoil, Remington Sluggers, Winchester X-pert will only get 6 + 1

spodeboy said:
Hmm, interesting. Maybe the cotter pin is item 20, shell stop retaining clip.

Regarding the magazine capacity, they ought to just rewrite the specs as 6+1.

IMG_4611.JPG

Thanks SPODEBOY!!!

#20 is correct!!!

Glad you were able to located where the cotter pin belonged and that you noticed it was out.

DHonovich said:
Glad you were able to located where the cotter pin belonged and that you noticed it was out.

Yeah, good thing my house was quiet and I heard it hit the floor...otherwise it would have sucked to have the SPX fall apart at the range or outside in the dirt.

Called Mossberg/Ericka and informed her what happen, hopefully she will inform her management.

That's just unacceptable to send you a shotty with pieces and parts falling out of it. Glad you were able to put it together.

Mine holds 7+1 bird and buck. Have not tried a full load with slugs.

SoCal Choppas said:
spodeboy said:
Hmm, interesting. Maybe the cotter pin is item 20, shell stop retaining clip.

Regarding the magazine capacity, they ought to just rewrite the specs as 6+1.

IMG_4611.JPG

Thanks SPODEBOY!!!

#20 is correct!!!

I'm glad it worked out for you. I just took a good guess when looking at the parts breakdown diagram and the parts call out table.

Went to the range yesterday and put about 200 rounds of Federal general purpose 7-1/2 birdshot, 15 rounds of Winchester x-pert slugs, 10 rounds each of Fiocchi Low Recoil Slugs and 00 Buck.

SPX was good up to around the 200 round mark...after I would got about 4-5 random light fire pin strikes (Reloaded them and they would fire) and the low recoil rounds wouldn't even cycle. I will conclude it was because the SPX gas piston/port area was fouled out and will need more breaking in.

Then after taking the SPX apart for cleaning, I discovered some light scoring on the magazine tube again, but not as bad as the first spx. Per another member post, I adjusted the Gas Piston area spring using a 3/4" craftsman deep socket and smoothed out the scoring.

I haven't fully sighted in the SPX, but it looks close; POI about 4-5" high/right @ 40-50 yards.

I'll will give the SPX a final opinion after I run about 1,000 rounds and keep this thread updated to any significant findings.

Revision: Using a 19mm 3/8" drive Craftsman deep socket is a better fit, Socket#44436

SoCal Choppas said:
Went to the range yesterday and put about 200 rounds of Federal general purpose 7-1/2 birdshot, 15 rounds of Winchester x-pert slugs, 10 rounds each of Fiocchi Low Recoil Slugs and 00 Buck.

SPX was good up to around the 200 round mark...after I would got about 4-5 random light fire pin strikes (Reloaded them and they would fire) and the low recoil rounds wouldn't even cycle. I will conclude it was because the SPX gas piston/port area was fouled out and will need more breaking in.

Then after taking the SPX apart for cleaning, I discovered some light scoring on the magazine tube again, but not as bad as the first spx. Per another member post, I adjusted the Gas Piston area spring using a 3/4" craftsman deep socket and smoothed out the scoring.

I haven't fully sighted in the SPX, but it looks close; POI about 4-5" high/right @ 40-50 yards.

I'll will give the SPX a final opinion after I run about 1,000 rounds and keep this thread updated to any significant findings.

Can you please post a link to the post you found on adjusting the gas piston spring with a 3/4" socket? I've been searching here and can not find it. I've got the same gouging on the mag tube now.... Thank you very much!

actually, that wasn't considered crowded...sometimes there is a wait to get on range....but you can't beat $10.00 all day with no membership

Cool video! Our range makes us have 3 seconds in between rounds. They stop you immediately for rapid fire.... My husband can't seem to follow the rules and always tries to sneak it in but they walk up to him every time, lol. Men. Nice shotty by the way :)

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
Cool video! Our range makes us have 3 seconds in between rounds. They stop you immediately for rapid fire.... My husband can't seem to follow the rules and always tries to sneak it in but they walk up to him every time, lol. Men. Nice shotty by the way :)

Thanks GLG2!

3 Seconds per round!! That is strict. Most places including indoor ranges, allow one shot per second; with an occassional range allowing Double Taps. Only 2 outdoor public ranges allow rapid fire by us, both of these are part of the National Forest. Burro Canyon is heavily used by Law Enforcement and you will hear some crazy automatic fire.

Here's more info and pictures of the place: http://www.burrocanyon.com/

Back