• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: Review/Issues of my 930 SPX, Sept 2011

I could be completely insane... It is prob 1 second, lmao, I guess it just feels like 3 seconds.

Re: Replacing Safety

I have never used locktight on the saftey screws. I have not had one come loose either, but I don't put a ton of ammo through my guns. I turkey hunt with an 835 and 3.5" loads. I changed the saftey out on that one ten years ago and the screw has not come loose yet with no lock tight.
If you plan to shoot yours alot, a dab of locktight would not hurt. I would use the low strength green locktight. If you use the mid strength blue with the factory screw, you might not get it back out if you should ever need to.
One thing I have taken to doing lately is putting bowstring wax on screws when I put them in. It does a good job of keeping out water and acts as a low strength thread locker. I have had good luck with this so far.

1st round feeding issues....

Hello everyone! I've been searching ALL over the internet for this issue... 930spx (3rd gen w/ blue spring) new purchase in June... Anyways, its been flawless straight out of the box with low brass, slugs, buckshot everything, not a single malfunction in 4-500 rounds, up until the past week.... This past week, I went to the range, and dropped the first round in the ejection port, hit the bolt release to chamber and it hung up on the lower side of the chamber. Pull the bolt back and let it go, and it chambers perfectly. It happened several times that day. Assumed it to be dirty, as its been awhile since cleaned. Brought it home broke it down and cleaned everything! Found the scoring now on the mag tube, found the cause to be a burr developed on the spring in the gas system, smoothed it out etc... bolt release button felt a little soft, like it wasn't depressing the shell latch far enough and causing it to drag on the lifter (so atleast that was my theory :lol: ) took it apart and the spring under the bolt release was cocked at an angle, fixed that... so excited! feeds snap caps all day long now! back to the range yesterday, first round in the gun, nope, didn't feed, hung up again on the bottom of the chamber. in 100 rounds yesterday I probably had 10 to fail to feed on the first round dropped in the ejection port and using the bolt release (which feels much better again now) it cycled almost all the rounds in the gun flawlessly while shooting, I did have one federal hang up low on the chamber while shooting as well though. Any thoughts or ideas? I can't PM "edna" yet as i'm still a noob here :) but i'm about to just give in and call Mossberg tomorrow to send it in :( I really don't want to do that though uggghhh. PS this did happen with Remington, Federal, and Winchester shells. All of which have been perfect before.... I have noticed if you hold the bolt open, and hit the bolt release, holding the bolt open with your hand to just let the lifter come up, it doesn't come up to its full travel, you can push it about 1/2" higher with your finger before it runs out of travel!

Re: Replacing Safety

When you get the ball free, put some grease on the top of the spring. That will help hold the ball in place while you put the safety back on.

Re: 1st round feeding issues....

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum rca90gsx !!

Can't help ya with that particular problem, but I'm sure someone here will be 'round to help !

thanks very much! As a followup... I tried shimming the FCG as it has a lot of slop in it, no help. I also tried spraying a little CLP in the receiver to ensure it was lubed up well, also no help :)

Using the newly installed GG&G follower, no problems so far.
Capacity Tested as 7 + 1
Using Winchester 2-3/4" #8 Birdshot Value Pack from Wally World

During the First Mag Dump, action stuttered/slowed down. SPX only had about 40 rounds before test, should still be pretty clean.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kOB6x2nSKo[/youtube]

Functional Test with Fiocchi LE Low Recoil 12 gauge 00Buckshot in my Mossberg 930 SPX. Tested Capacity 7 + 1. Failed to Cycle SPX with Blue Gas Piston Spring. May function in the future after more break in of the SPX. I ran a full box of these in my former SPX and it cycled fine, don't recall if it was a Red or Blue Gas Piston Spring.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA6V8CP-pmU[/youtube]

This only happened once so far, 18th round of the day on a cleaned and lubed SPX.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FuRRepSShc[/youtube]

SoCal, That's exactly what mine was doing. The magazine shell stop assy is actually binding on the elevator. When I sent it back for service, Mossy replaced the entire shell stop assembly.

When you experience that failure...pull back on the bolt and push in on the shell stop. This will free the elevator.

My 930 would experience this failure about 1 out of every 6 to 8 cycles.

It's a pretty bad/violent looking jam. The shell elevator wouldn't move at all and was slightly twisted. That was on my 13th round of the day, sighting in with Remington Sluggers. I'm happy with the sight alignment at 25 yards, I'll push it out to 50 yards when I get more slugs.

The jam is a definite show stopper and almost takes 3 hands to fix.

I'm very happy with slug accuracy. Mine produces soft ball sized groups 5 rounds at 50 yards.

Review/Issues of my 930 SPX, Sept 2011

SoCal Choppas said:
Functional Test with Fiocchi LE Low Recoil 12 gauge 00Buckshot in my Mossberg 930 SPX. Tested Capacity 7 + 1. Failed to Cycle SPX with Blue Gas Piston Spring. May function in the future after more break in of the SPX. I ran a full box of these in my former SPX and it cycled fine, don't recall if it was a Red or Blue Gas Piston Spring.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA6V8CP-pmU[/youtube]

To get the 930 to shoot low recoil the best thing to do is where the gas piston slides up and down the tube get some steal wool and smooth that baby out really good and run her wet that is what I do for 3 gun and it now runs low recoil everything!!

Sent from Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

To get the 930 to shoot low recoil the best thing to do is where the gas piston slides up and down the tube get some steal wool and smooth that baby out really good and run her wet that is what I do for 3 gun and it now runs low recoil everything!!

Sent from Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Hmmm...With first SPX ran a full box with no problems in the beginning and that's probably because I usually run action pretty wet during break in period; but it fouled out by around 230 rounds and then wouldn't cycle any Low Recoil.

With the replacement SPX, I decided to go by the manual and not run it wet (Lubed then wiped down with dry cloth)

The steel wool, did you mean the magazine tube or inside the piston area of the barrel?

Review/Issues of my 930 SPX, Sept 2011

I also opened up the loading port!!! A six pack, some files, and a dremel tool

Sent from Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321413959.138472.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321413959.138472.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,119
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321414001.751013.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321414001.751013.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,119
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321414027.293676.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321414027.293676.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,120

Mailing it out tomorrow.... I'll hope for the quick turnaround and more importantly accurate repair as some of you have experienced! My new break-in "trust" period for this thing has just expanded GREATLY! Its going to have 1,000 rounds (including a class) through it when I get it back before I can thing of trusting it! Sad, as I LOVE this spx!!!!!

rca90gsx said:
Mailing it out tomorrow.... I'll hope for the quick turnaround and more importantly accurate repair as some of you have experienced! My new break-in "trust" period for this thing has just expanded GREATLY! Its going to have 1,000 rounds (including a class) through it when I get it back before I can thing of trusting it! Sad, as I LOVE this spx!!!!!

Same boat here...I wanna trust my SPX...that's all I can say.

Mossberg will fix it..but I hate having "Same Sh*t, Different Day" problems...I'll give the SPX 3 strikes and then it will be out to the Classified pasture.

Best of luck when you get your "Replacement" SPX and welcome to the forum...great bunch here.

Back