• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Let me know if the spring length ends up being the issue. Sometimes they are shipped out with them at 40" length which is far to long.

DHonovich said:
BadgerMan said:
Alright, registered here to see if anybody might be able to help as I haven't had any luck finding answers elsewhere. I swapped the stock safety out on my 930 SPX for a metal vang one and now it will fire with the safety engaged. This is with the bolt/bolt carrier and trigger group installed but the rest is disassembled. I have tried it with and without the plate that came with the original safety, with the original safety reinstalled, and with the safety block oriented in both directions that it will go in.

Looking inside of the receiver, I feel like I must be missing a part or something, though I have scoured my workbench to make sure that is not the case. Normally I am pretty good at visualizing how everything interacts and solving the problem on my own, but I can't make out how the safety works in the 930 as the block doesn't seem to do anything other than provide a place for the safety to screw in and I don't see anything else that would be interacting with the trigger group. I can't find any detailed pictures or diagrams of the safety system or inside of a 930 receiver online so I have nothing to compare it to. Anyhow, if anybody has any ideas I would be much obliged.

I will try and take pictures when I get some free time if no one else posts before me.

Awesome, thank you that will at least give me a point of reference to make sure I'm not overlooking something silly.

O.F.M. beginning to REALLY P- me off!930 Barrel Replacement

So, in the last week and a half, I've called Mossberg like 8 times to get a CORRECT barrel for my 930 SPX, one day I left a message for a supervisor after getting NOWHERE with C.S., next day I talked to a C.S. rep who took my name and told me he'd call back with a tracking # for my new barrel, week later I call and theres no trace of it, me calling so back to square one. I called today, straight to the C.S. guy, starts arguing with me that I do have the correct front sight (I have the 1st gen sight, need 3rd, it's too low!), FINALLY I get to a supervisor who was not very understanding that if I send my barrel back on what is my H.D. weapon(sights not too short for 00 buck, it's slug's past 40-50 yds) I'll have a gas system and magazine w/no FIRING ability..... And I had told Ms. E about it, she told me to go see how it shot and let her know if it needed to be replaced... SHE DOESNT WORK THERE ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!! This sucks... Got to get these guys to understand it's like me needing replacement tires (from a DEFECT!) and they want me to send the tires back and leave my car on jackstands!!! I'm kinda getting REAL BURNED out on how O.F.M. not only deals with their problems, but more than that is the 'stuck-up' ATTITUDE a LOT of their C.S. people give to their CUSTOMERS! Wish Kel-Tec ran Mossy's C.S. department, THATS HOW TO RUN ONE, AND keep people coming back!!

Re: O.F.M. beginning to REALLY P- me off!930 Barrel Replacem

Bummer, wish I could help. I know your frustration......count to ten, and if someone comes in your place unannounced beat their ass with that magazine and butt stock. Sounds like Mossberg lost a valuable member of the team. By the sound of it she was the only reason some people didn’t give up on Mossberg all together. With steep competition in the firearms market bad customer service is one of those things that makes people switch brands forever never to look back……You don’t own another firearm for back up ? Most places won’t send you something new until you send yours in first or they would get burned for stuff all the time....Good luck, be persistent, be patient and get a back up gun…

i just sent edna a message to see if she can figure out the shenanigans going on here...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1317

she works for mossberg. and is a member here!

ripjack13 said:
i just sent edna a message to see if she can figure out the shenanigans going on here...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1317

she works for mossberg. and is a member here!

Read the second page of that Mossberg Rep post... i believe Ms. E the OP of this thread was refering to is one in the same

oh crap....

DHonovich said:
Yes today was her last day at Mossberg :(

sorry. i shoulda read further.

Let me know if you still have trouble tomorrow and I will give some people a call for you. Will get it straight!

I finally gotta hold of a supervisor, as usual it seems like they are the only people who can get, or TRY to get thing's done. Thank you to, a name I haden't heard before, Joseph Zackher. He apologized and explained that he's VERY enthusiastic to hear about problem's, as most supervisor's are, (Javier Contreras I hear GREAT things about, and no more Edna....:-(...) so they can be given a chance to fix it. And he's including a test target w/the barrel with slugs at 50 yds J.I.C., and will check for any problem's like cant, proper FSB/'3rd gen', thicker bbl, etc, so it just seems like I need to write down a new extension for Mossberg when calling. E-mailed him all my info earlier, he said call back whenever I wanna double check how it's going.....THATS NICE TO HEAR!! So, I alway's KNEW mossy would make it right, and has before sent my barrel's (alway's they send me new one w/pre paid for old return, which took some tryin' this time), it's just a LOT EASIER not losing my H.D. 12 ga (for 2-6 week's), that recoil's like a 20 ga, is as accurate as a rifle to 100 yds(in a week or so!!), and fires a .73 1-ounce slug if the occssion calls for it . Like he said, they'll lose customer's over that bad C.S., so remember people's name's as the supervisor will usually want to know who you talked to. Hopefully this goes smoothly! And thank's to Mike from Aimpro for helping me figure this one out/plug me in with who to talk to!!! :D
Stephen

reeseman67 said:
I finally gotta hold of a supervisor, as usual it seems like they are the only people who can get, or TRY to get thing's done. Thank you to, a name I haden't heard before, Joseph Zackher. He apologized and explained that he's VERY enthusiastic to hear about problem's, as most supervisor's are, (Javier Contreras I hear GREAT things about, and no more Edna....:-(...) so they can be given a chance to fix it. And he's including a test target w/the barrel with slugs at 50 yds J.I.C., and will check for any problem's like cant, proper FSB/'3rd gen', thicker bbl, etc, so it just seems like I need to write down a new extension for Mossberg when calling. E-mailed him all my info earlier, he said call back whenever I wanna double check how it's going.....THATS NICE TO HEAR!! So, I alway's KNEW mossy would make it right, and has before sent my barrel's (alway's they send me new one w/pre paid for old return, which took some tryin' this time), it's just a LOT EASIER not losing my H.D. 12 ga (for 2-6 week's), that recoil's like a 20 ga, is as accurate as a rifle to 100 yds(in a week or so!!), and fires a .73 1-ounce slug if the occssion calls for it . Like he said, they'll lose customer's over that bad C.S., so remember people's name's as the supervisor will usually want to know who you talked to. Hopefully this goes smoothly! And thank's to Mike from Aimpro for helping me figure this one out/plug me in with who to talk to!!! :D
Stephen
Stephen I'm glad you got help. Actually Joe Z he's an awesome guy I learned everything from him and he will do his best to get everything fixed for you. I actually moved to Killeen TX :) Wish I could of stayed there but I had to move move on. But if you have any questions feel free to message me and ill be glad to help Or get u contacted with the right ppl :)

So I picked up a 930 field/security combo this weekend, and as I was disassembling the gun for cleaning and inspection I ran into a few concerns:

- The manual mentions of a seal ring that goes in front of the gas piston when I remove the gas system, but the seal ring is now internal of the barrel gas cylinder correct?

- I was able to remove and reassemble the 28" barrel freely from and in the receiver and magazine tube. But when I try to insert the 18.5" barrel, the gas cylinder portion of the barrel would not freely slide through the magazine tube. With a little bit of force, I was able assemble the 18.5" barrel, but it heavily scratched the magazine tube. What could be scratching the mag tube in the 18.5 barrel that the 28 barrel is not causing?

- I want to install a magazine extension tube, but there is a stopper/block inside the front side of the magazine tube. Is this internal blocker removable so that I can remove the spring in the magazine tube?

BadgerMan said:
Alright, registered here to see if anybody might be able to help as I haven't had any luck finding answers elsewhere. I swapped the stock safety out on my 930 SPX for a metal vang one and now it will fire with the safety engaged. This is with the bolt/bolt carrier and trigger group installed but the rest is disassembled. I have tried it with and without the plate that came with the original safety, with the original safety reinstalled, and with the safety block oriented in both directions that it will go in.

Looking inside of the receiver, I feel like I must be missing a part or something, though I have scoured my workbench to make sure that is not the case. Normally I am pretty good at visualizing how everything interacts and solving the problem on my own, but I can't make out how the safety works in the 930 as the block doesn't seem to do anything other than provide a place for the safety to screw in and I don't see anything else that would be interacting with the trigger group. I can't find any detailed pictures or diagrams of the safety system or inside of a 930 receiver online so I have nothing to compare it to. Anyhow, if anybody has any ideas I would be much obliged.

I didn't think think it was worth mentioning before, but after taking another fruitless stab at finding a solution I did notice something that seemed to be different for me when I install my safety. Others say that they have to lock the bolt to the rear to prevent the safety block from falling into the receiver but when I do that it can still fall in. The only way I can keep that block up there with the screw out is to field strip it and stick my finger under it to hold it in place. I'm not sure if that is significant or not but it can't hurt to mention it since I haven't been able to figure this out and have pretty much given up on it at this point.

Having more trouble... Ok I just got my 930 SPX back from mossberg they replaced my barrel and my magazine extension tube free of charge for the defects. Went shooting this past weekend had 1 FTF and FTE due to the "feed ramp getting jammed and frozen in an upward position past the bore"??? cleaned the whole gun piston was all funked up but no other problems... Until today i got a new magazine extension tube from choate a +2 and while loading rounds 2 3/4 birdshot the ramp got jammed again.. after i got it loose AGAIN IT JAMMED UP FOR ALL 6 ROUNDS. Whats going on? Cant be the tube or the spring and i just freakin cleaned the gun spotless. n

Ps the bolt dont always slam home like it used to...Please help.

Well, I finally got it, it is the correct front sight on the thicker bbl, but the damn ear's are bent in like an AK front sight sort of, is that normal(kind of more of an O.C.D. issue, I just hope theyre not bent cause they were a lil' off!!!)??? I just wanna make sure this' gonna work correctly before I send my O.G. barrel back.... BACK TO THE RANGE as he didn't include the test target he said he was, that was the 'warm blanket' that would have made me feel a lot more sure this' gonna work.!!
Stephen

reeseman67 said:
as he didn't include the test target he said he was, that was the 'warm blanket' that would have made me feel a lot more sure this' gonna work.!!
Stephen
You know its the details that count in these cases, hope you get it dialed in and dont have to deal with this crap again....classic left hand dont know what the right hand is doing.

Yea, no kiddin'! Now, I got it mounted and the mag extension (which I never noticed SCREWED ON caddywampus and just ended up torqued in-line w/my old barrel, but something's off a touch) is now slightly crooked. I should of gotten a replacement anyway's (but never really picked up on it as a problem as I thought it just lined up right so it was o.k.) as I'm guessing the Tri-Rail will /would have similar prob since it's the ext. SOOO, gotta call, get an extension that's STRAIGHT, and see if it work's... ugghhhhhh!
Stephen

You are VERY CORRECT Ms. Edna, Joe Z. just wiped the floor with a coating of proffessionalism.... Reminded me of you.... :cry: ... But, okay, so here's the deal, I'm now waiting for a(NOTHER) new barrel for the 930 SPX w/tall frnt sight again (I'm also inclined to believe the springs are like Edna and Joe said, the colors mark a manufacturers 'cycle' cause my o.g. and the newer one are both blue springs and my 'o.g.' spring ran great with everything I brought out), I called Joe, told him the prob, I could hear the frustration FOR ME, and SINCERELY apologized and thanked me for giving them another shot, AND on top of the new bbl that I think HE'S inspecting (he REALLY want's to know who O.K.'d the barrel to leave as he apparently gave the guys pretty 'clear orders' on what to look for, sighting it in, INCLUDE THE TEST TARGET, etc . Not something I want someone to lose their job over, but they'll be inclined to remember to do all asked for the NEXT customer, hell... might be me again!) it personally and sending another mag extension to see if that will fix the 'wobbly mag', it should cause mine just luckily lined up with the original bbl and if the mag ext is straight, and the sight/sight EARS aren't canted, I'LL BE GOOD, and happy!! Cause I was able to get to the range on Sunday for my B-day and... Reliability/accuracy at closer distance's were SPOT ON! And recoil wasn't too bad till I shot the 590A1 and then the Win 1300 Defender and then everyone's reaction was.... WOW, umm I'll shoot the SPX again! Except my friend Lyric, she didn't 'fit' the SPX or 590A1's due to the GIANT L.O.P.(I felt bad, as she couldnt shoot the LEAST recoiling 12 ga due to the stock) so she was hammering away on the Win!!! Brave girl!!
Mossberg....+1 in my book(the designs are great, 95% of firearms NEVER HAVE PROBLEMS, so when you get as much for your money as you do with the 930 SPX, if it takes a few times to get me a sight that'll work w/slug's past 50-75yds, as thats not it's PRIMARY PURPOSE, I'll always give the manufacturer a shot to get it straight, and the thing IS reliable/ran dry through it's 'break in' w/only one Failure to fire off OLD, OLD< OLD< birdshot, pulled back to re-cock hammer and.. BOOM, it fired! So this' all just like 'aesthetics', the gun works and the sights are fine for sub-50, but I want +50, and I'll let O.F.M. convince me to be a thrice returning customer!!) I am SOO glad I found this site, you guy's are awesome, everyone helps each other, there's really no ego, just info!!(thank you whoever started this site :D !!)
Stephen

Well I am really glad to hear that you are finally back on track with your Mossberg 930 spx! As for the site your post is exactly what I hoped the site would evolve to when I first started it. :)

I stared at my 930 a bit more today and I think I figured out what is supposed to block the trigger from being fired. It appears that the safety block is supposed to somehow press down on the link and push that little nubbin (on the bottom of the link, towards the end) in place to disconnect the trigger. The safety block is nowhere near the link and when I tugged on the link a bit with the bolt forward it doesn't seem like it would move down at all so I'm not 100% sure if this is correct. I'm still inclined to believe that I'm missing something but perhaps there is just something out of spec, if I can't figure it out or someone else doesn't have any ideas soon I may try and see if Mossberg knows what it is or if they'll just tell me to get bent because I installed an aftermarket safety.

Back