• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: Review/Issues of my 930 SPX, Sept 2011

spodeboy - you already know what to look for so no need to take possession of it if its in bad shape like so cal's. Mine has been flawless after a few hundred shells and its a couple weeks old so not all SPX's are bad. They are super easy to take apart so there is no reason why you should not do it at the store. Check out YouTube vids if you don't know how to dissasemble it.

Good luck

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum spodeboy !!

When you find the time, please stop by the New Members Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community. Thanks !

Socal, How difficult is it to remove and replace the barrel, reason why I ask I just received my barrel after 3 months on backorder. I removed the old barrel and tried to install the SPX barrel and it seemed it did'nt line up properly. Like it was scraping against the tube, have not shot it yet due to the weather it was a dfficult install on something that should only takes seconds.

My trigger assembly has a little play in it also, but my loading ramp is even on both sides and experience no loading problems yet, I cant tell if my front sight is canted or not, and as far as my magazine spring is concerned my 930 started out as a Home Security model and the spring length is 22.5 inches which the last two shells do not eject properly manually. But I can load 7 rounds, I took the follower out and polished it and the magazine tube, I will call Mossberg tomorrow to order the SPX spring.

I got this gun to defend the castle with and right now I won't trust it until I get the SPX spring to see if there's a difference between the tention in the two springs, I will be adding a 590A1 SPX as soon as I can find one to the family, by all means do make the video I think it will serve all 930 owners well

It shouldn't be hard at all. Bolt locked back. Gas piston installed onto barrel. Slide barrel assembly down magazine tube. Slide on forearm grip, put in mag spring and compress with magazine extension tube and hand tighten.

My question was about your SPX, looking at the scaring on the tube was there any misalignment with the barrel or the spring inside the barrel when removing or installing the SPX barrel. I have the base version of the SPX the Home Security model and turned it into the SPX, The SPX barrel is larger than the HS barrel and has a tighter overall fit. UPDATE: After going over the gun with a fine tooth comb the two front screws to the rail where making the fit tight I just readjusted and put on more loctite. SoCal keep us updated on everything.

BenSamp said:
My question was about your SPX, looking at the scaring on the tube was there any misalignment with the barrel or the spring inside the barrel when removing or installing the SPX barrel. I have the base version of the SPX the Home Security model and turned it into the SPX, The SPX barrel is larger than the HS barrel and has a tighter overall fit. UPDATE: After going over the gun with a fine tooth comb the two front screws to the rail where making the fit tight I just readjusted and put on more loctite. SoCal keep us updated on everything.

something is off with the Piston/Gas Spring..causing to bind up and score the lower side of the magazine tube. I can feel the resistance when I pull the barrel off or when I put the barrel back on. The scoring is not under the gas piston, but the spring area in front of the gas piston.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaAwYSVbXFo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjkDeCcB2RU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxz9lsnmJ2k[/youtube]

9/30/2011 @ 8:00am PST: Spoke with Erica, Mossberg Customer Service. Informed her of all the issues of my 930 SPX. She took my information and will be sending out a return shipping label (after I informed her I wanted a shipping label), informed me I should get in 7-10days.

She also told me, the turn around repair time after they receive the shotgun is about 15 days.

I asked her about the back orders on 930 barrels and she confirmed that there is a back order on 930 barrels.

One of the benefits of a SPX is how easy it is to unload the magazine tube. Your unloading your gun like its a Remi or Bennelli or any numerous old school guns by fingering and moving the interrupter then getting your fingers hit by the shell.

Save yourself the hassel and simply push down on the elevator with your pointer finger and depress the bolt release with your thumb (or whatever two fingers you want to use). That way only one finger tip is inside the gun, and less likely to be blocking the shell that is trying to exit the magazine tube. Much faster and easier to do it this way, there is no need to put multiple fingers in the well and fish for the interrupter as your doing. Once you get a SPX that your satisfied with you may find this method helps.

This is also the fastest and easiest way to ghost load the SPX. All other guns have to half cock the forearm then fiddle with the elevator to ghost load an extra shell. We just push a button and add another shell to the tube to increase the capacity by +1. Kinda slick

Great videos, my barrel was 3 months backordered, those are deep grooves cut into the tube if you're nail hangs up on it. I also noticed that when you reasembled the barrel it goes in a lot easier than mine does. I hope they get you're shotgun right and they don't have to replace the barrel. Keep us updated on how Mossberg handles this issue for you.

Thanks for the videos SoCal Choppas. So is Mossberg goint to put in a shorter spring so you can load 7 shells in the magazine? How are they going to fix the front sight/rear sight issue? I'm guessing Erica didn't have these answers since she's just a call taker?

spodeboy said:
Thanks for the videos SoCal Choppas. So is Mossberg goint to put in a shorter spring so you can load 7 shells in the magazine? How are they going to fix the front sight/rear sight issue? I'm guessing Erica didn't have these answers since she's just a call taker?

You guessed right, most CS people don't really know much about the product; just take your info and tell you to send it in for their techs to take care of the issues. I'm sure, like most other companies; they don't want to offer too much information that might make them or their product look bad.

Lets see what happens. Also FYI, these Youtube videos are not for the general public on Youtube and will not show up on searches for Mossberg 930 SPX on Youtube. They are only for the members of mossbergowners.com and whoever does a google search and finds this blog and link.

my 930 has about the same amount of play in the trigger assembly and elevator as yours does. i'm guessing it's normal for the 930 design.

My 930 tactical had the same gouging on the mag tube as yours. I sent mine back to Mossburg and they replaced it and had it back to me in about 2 weeks.

dwhitehorne said:
My 930 tactical had the same gouging on the mag tube as yours. I sent mine back to Mossburg and they replaced it and had it back to me in about 2 weeks.

That's good to hear about the quick turn around time.

Did they give you a detailed repair report on what caused the gouging and did they replace anything in the Gas Piston area? How is it now? Normal Wear now?

How is your magazine capacity for 2-3/4" shells? Is it consistently 7+1, and did you modify your spring?, if not..how long is your spring?

If I'm having loading difficulties with slightly longer then common Birdshot 2-3/4" shells, I can imagine that 3" shells would be almost impossible to load. I may pick up a box of 3" shells today to test my theory.

The more I look at the front sight..it looks canted.

Thanks for your input!

New user. New 930 SPX. Old problems. Help?

Ran across this forum a couple weeks ago while researching the 930. Had my dealer order a 930 SPX on Tuesday. Came in Friday. (yesterday, 3 days) Looked OK at the store. Got it home and noticed some funky goings on with feeding. Broke it down, cleaned and lubed it. Bent / crooked mag extension. First or only one shell loaded always sticks if it's a casing with the standard ridges or grooves on it. Smooth casings load fine. ( at least with the various ones I have) Shells will bind up in the tube sometimes, eject two at a time and etc... Tried to ghost load 9 shells but kept manufacturing the "jam of death". The FCG seems to be fairly tight. There is some play but very slight.

Problem seems to be related to this:
The feeding issues with the 930 SPX usually are usually due to two things: the mag extension problems and improperly sized FCG pins. The mag extension problems are typically a bent or dented or misaligned extension, a transition area problem between the extension nut and the mag tube that allows the follower to snag, or improper spring tension. The first one should be pretty easy to spot. The second one shows when you can feed the first round or two and then the follower hangs and can be popped loose, and the final one can be diagnosed by looking at the spring. If it is something like 30" or longer, it is too long and needs to be trimmed. This has put too much spring pressure on the shell latches, and the first round of a fully loaded mag tube will not release. This is being seen in people with new from the factory shotguns and also those that purchased just the extension kit from Choate.

What do you folks recommend?
Thanks.

Re: New user. New 930 SPX. Old problems. Help?

A couple weeks ago when my spring was new it was 34.5" and functioned great. When I get home I want to remeasure to see if it has changed with about 400 shells of use now.

Back