• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Gas system issue

Upon field stripping my new 930 deer, waterfowl combo I found this small ring, see photo.
From searching I determined it came out of the 28" barrel and comparing it to the 24" slug barrel confirms this. How do I get this back in and why do you suppose it came out?
P00014511.jpg

At first I thought it came from the piston but it belongs in the gas cylinder on the barrel.

Re: Gas system issue

I went back to the bench and managed to get it back into the groove with my fingers. I installed and removed the barrel a couple of times and it stayed put but I'm not trusting it.
Haven't shot the gun yet but I'm off to do that now.

Let us know how it goes. If you can, take some pics of where it's supposed to go. I have very little knowledge of the 930 so pics would help me if I ever run into this question again.

I don't think my camera will get in there.
The ring goes into the cylinder apx. 3/4" in from the stock end and below the spring. I couldn't find any exploded views of this assembly but I could see it present in the other barrel cylinder that came with the combo.
Test fired the VR barrel, switched to the slug barrel and the ring stayed put. I'll keep an eye on it.

Re: My necessary SPX mod

Hognot said:
So I think my first mod should be the Nordic clamp.
What do you folks think? Keep in mind I am poor!
I just got one and it is very nice. ( $47 plus shipping for the clamp and rail.) That being said, the screws don't torque down all the way into the recess in the clamp. I called customer service and they said since I didn't have a NC extension tube (the SPX comes with a Choate) it doesn't fit exactly. Also if you get one, specify the one for Mossbergs.

Re: Review/Issues of my 930 SPX, Sept 2011

SoCal Choppas said:
9/30/2011 @ 8:00am PST: Spoke with Erica, Mossberg Customer Service. Informed her of all the issues of my 930 SPX. She took my information and will be sending out a return shipping label (after I informed her I wanted a shipping label), informed me I should get in 7-10days.

She also told me, the turn around repair time after they receive the shotgun is about 15 days.

I asked her about the back orders on 930 barrels and she confirmed that there is a back order on 930 barrels.

So this means you didn't get the shipping label for 7 to 10 days? I spoke to customer service this morning and heard the 7 to 10 days, but thought that was the turn around time after they received the gun. I was under the impression they were going to email me a printable label, but so far nothing. Sure hope it doesn't take them 10 days to email me a label.

930Blackwater said:
SoCal Choppas said:
9/30/2011 @ 8:00am PST: Spoke with Erica, Mossberg Customer Service. Informed her of all the issues of my 930 SPX. She took my information and will be sending out a return shipping label (after I informed her I wanted a shipping label), informed me I should get in 7-10days.

She also told me, the turn around repair time after they receive the shotgun is about 15 days.

I asked her about the back orders on 930 barrels and she confirmed that there is a back order on 930 barrels.

So this means you didn't get the shipping label for 7 to 10 days? I spoke to customer service this morning and heard the 7 to 10 days, but thought that was the turn around time after they received the gun. I was under the impression they were going to email me a printable label, but so far nothing. Sure hope it doesn't take them 10 days to email me a label.

It was about 7 days I think, to get the shipping label and about about 10-15 days turn around time after they log in the shotgun. Funny thing is the last CS Rep, told me the repair invoice showed a ton of parts being replaced...then I get a new replacement shotgun 930SPX2.0

Very well photographed and documented...!!

Keep up the good work !

SoCal, forgive me if you already went over this, but how does your 2.0 SPX compare? I've seen the pictures, it looks better. Does it jam less?

I decided instead of wasting more ammo on the 930SPX i'd send it off to a nice home. Sold it and now i'm moving on to a 590A1.

930Blackwater said:
SoCal, forgive me if you already went over this, but how does your 2.0 SPX compare? I've seen the pictures, it looks better. Does it jam less?

I'll keep ya posted...I wanna have a total of 1,000 rounds on SPX2.0 before I decide what to do...so far the holidays and crazy wind storms is preventing me from going out for more range time.

I do have less noticeable wear on SPX2.0, the sights are fine, the exterior finish is better. But I did have an Shell Elevator Jam and hung up action bar, that I didn't experience with my original SPX.

SPX2.0 would not cycle Fiocchi Low Recoil 00Buck, while the original SPX did.

If anything..this will turn into just a fun range gun and sit in the safe until the next range time...Not for competition or bet my life situation.

After the 2 year warranty expires...I may tweak and mod it and see what happens.

troutburger said:
I decided instead of wasting more ammo on the 930SPX i'd send it off to a nice home. Sold it and now i'm moving on to a 590A1.

I'm unfortunately thinking about the same thing. I called Mossberg on Monday and left a message. On Tuesday I spoke to Erika who said she'd email me a shipping label. Wednesday David returned my call from Monday and said the emailed labels take a day or two. I called again today and spoke to Rodger, who had to put me on hold only to tell me Erika hasn't gotten the label generated from Fed Ex yet. So one week and 3 calls and I still am not able to even send it back. After hearing problems like SoCal is having, I may cut my losses and either get an 870 or wait for the KelTec KSG, assuming it ever comes out. I'm having major sellers remorse from getting rid of my Glock 21 SF which the SPX replaced. Besides being too long to go down the stairs, I'd be freaked out it wouldn't work if I really needed it. Guess I'm spoiled with Glocks always working.

Review/Issues of my 930 SPX, Sept 2011

SoCal Choppas said:
930Blackwater said:

I'll keep ya posted...I wanna have a total of 1,000 rounds on SPX2.0 before I decide what to do...so far the holidays and crazy wind storms is preventing me from going out for more range time.

I do have less noticeable wear on SPX2.0, the sights are fine, the exterior finish is better. But I did have an Shell Elevator Jam and hung up action bar, that I didn't experience with my original SPX.

SPX2.0 would not cycle Fiocchi Low Recoil 00Buck, while the original SPX did.

If anything..this will turn into just a fun range gun and sit in the safe until the next range time...Not for competition or bet my life situation.

After the 2 year warranty expires...I may tweak and mod it and see what happens.
get some steal wool and smooth that gas tube out and run it lubed up really good then it will run the low recoil!!!

Sent from Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

feegee said:
get some steal wool and smooth that gas tube out and run it lubed up really good then it will run the low recoil!!!

Did the steel wool and plan to run anything that moves wet, except the FCG.

Review/Issues of my 930 SPX, Sept 2011

SoCal Choppas said:
feegee said:

Did the steel wool and plan to run anything that moves wet, except the FCG.
to bad you don't live closer to Oklahoma we could go do some shooting!! Here where I live there is some kind of match every weekend.

Re: 1st round feeding issues....

well finally got to the range today to test the 930spx out since I got it back last week from Mossberg... Feeds 1st round now smooth as silk. Now it want has issues feeding rounds while shooting. I noticed after about the 3rd round of 00bk that I got a "click" I thought, great now its got the issue of failure to fire like I've read about on here, NOPE, pull bolt back, no round in the chamber, instead I look down and its laying on the ground!!! does this 1 to 2 times a magazine load full now, click, look down, round is laying on the ground. I could not tell if it was ejecting below the shell lifter or it was ejecting it out the ejection port (i have a hard time believing it was doing that)... So they replaced the elevator, the spring for the elevator (blue spring color), magazine spring, and the worked in the gas system area due to the marks on the mag tube I was seeing, as the barrel is MUCH easier to remove and install now... Now not sure what to do with this thing. VERY FRUSTRATING!

Looked everything over last night. Pulled new magazine spring and started shortening it some. It was 36" long to start, ended up at 30", cycling it with dummy rounds. Went to the range again to test it. 180 rounds, buckshot, slugs, birdshot (walmart federal and remington value packs, i prefer the remington) all were flawless. I mixed the rounds up in the magtube, etc. tried everything. Only rounds that this thing won't cycle are Winchester Ranger low recoil slugs. They are only rated at 1200fps, and man are they soft shooters. I'm excited and relieved, but lots more testing rounds down the tube before its to be trusted again!!!

Glad its working out better now for you. I just learned my SPX is not 100% with 00B low recoil rounds at 1150fps.

When you cleaned out the bolt release button/spring assembly.... You removed the tiny cotter pin (shell stop retaining clip) but after that did the rear shell stop pin that holds the button/spring fall out? I needed to clean my assembly out but could not get the stop pin out. Not even with a magnet to help while tapping on the reciever with a dead blow. So I did not get it completely clean today.

Back