• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

I spray on a coating of Break Free on the outside of the magazine tube then wipe it off with a dry tissue. If any oil is left on it is a very thin coat.

930 breakin or something wrong

I posted this question under the troubleshooting area before I realized there was a 930 specific area. Does anyone know what may be going on? Talked to Mossberg service advisor and awaiting label to send gun back for inspection. Not a good feeling to have new gun returned, but hopefully all will be good in the end. Cant have a "Home Security" tool be unreliable:
Question: I purchased a new 930 Home Security sg about a month ago. Ordered the mag extension and spring to increase capacity. Finally got to the range and found that the slide will not fully close enough to fire round each time. Every 3rd or 4th rd went click. Seemed to cycle fine but slide closing fully seemed to be the issue (although looked closed). Some rds were indented and others were not. Cleaned fully and even removed the action (bolt & slide assembly) and trigger housing. Slightly oiled and worked action numerous times and took to range again. Same thing! Anybody have any ideas? Thanks

Re: breakin or something wrong

Its possible if you post this in the 930 section, youll attract more responses. I apologize I cant assist here.

If you like, I can move the thread for you to the 930 area?

Rossignol said:
Its possible if you post this in the 930 section, youll attract more responses. I apologize I cant assist here.

If you like, I can move the thread for you to the 930 area?

Ya go ahead Rossignol, thanks! l didnt realize there was a 930 area when l posted question. A day or 2 after l tried to post it there but when l went back to see if there were any replys l couldnt find it. Talked to Mossberg and they sent me a FedEx return label. It will go back Monday for inspection. Hope they get it running properly, l really like the gun.

So did we move it once already? :lol:

Oh well... Sometimes I figure with the model specific issues, it may get more response in that models section.

I hope OFM gets you taken care of!

You are now in the 930 section! ;)

New member here...thanks for having me.

I purchased and will be picking up a SPX Tactical w/pistol grip/ghost sight soon and would like to know a couple of things to look for fresh off the factory floor before I accept anything and take it home. I've read about the Texas factory having problems and some bent or misaligned sight issues and am hoping for a quick checklist beyond the obvious.

My only acccesory planned besides possibly an oversized charging handle or safety will be a full-sized XRAIL magazine (don't want to break the bank right away) so I'm hoping that at least one other member here sets looks aside and mounts these magazines 'beyond the barrel' as well.

Thanks for the great site and I'll try to contribute when I can.

XRAIL said:
New member here...thanks for having me.

I purchased and will be picking up a SPX Tactical w/pistol grip/ghost sight soon and would like to know a couple of things to look for fresh off the factory floor before I accept anything and take it home. I've read about the Texas factory having problems and some bent or misaligned sight issues and am hoping for a quick checklist beyond the obvious.

My only acccesory planned besides possibly an oversized charging handle or safety will be a full-sized XRAIL magazine (don't want to break the bank right away) so I'm hoping that at least one other member here sets looks aside and mounts these magazines 'beyond the barrel' as well.

Thanks for the great site and I'll try to contribute when I can.

The big issue with the 930spx is the front sight being canted and it seems to be hit or miss. Mossberg will make it right but sometimes it can take a while. Its great to see you will be installing the XRAIL on your 930; I have had my eyes on trying one since I saw it at the 2011 SHOT show. Unfortunately I have not had the funds to spare to pick one up yet. Welcome aboard!

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=647

Thanks, guys...I'll keep my eye on the front sight when I pick it up yet it's nice to know that I'm not looking for anything else.
I can relate to the 'funds' issue Dan as I debated whether to pick up the XRAIL 'first' (they have evidently caught up for at least a little while on production) which would obviously force me faster into getting the 930; yet I am telling myself that if I don't spend (accessorywise) on the gun I will be that much closer to what I was after to begin with (I took my #1 name off a year-long wait list for a 14+1 KSG when it appeared that the XRAIL was reliable enough).
I'll have to admit also that the 930 is by far the least expensive gun that the XRAIL will fit at this time which factored heavily into my decision involving such an expensive accessory. The members of this forum and their apparent dedication to helping others gave me faith that the 930 was up to the task and if not 'fixable'....so I have a lot to give back here after making dollar-wise the most important HD gun decision that I will probably ever make.

On a sidenote, if things get any worse with bad legislation or how I expect this next election to go; I will drive to Wisconsin myself and pay for an XRAIL...whether I can afford it or not! (sorry for the OT; back to Troubleshooting and thanks again).

Model 85370 capacity

930 SPECIAL PURPOSE - 930 SPX PISTOL GRIP - 8 SHOT
TACTICAL 85370 12 - FULL LENGTH STOCK/PG/EXT. MAG./PICATINNY RAIL 8

Does anybody have any idea why the magazine on this gun holds but 6 shots?

I took the cap off to look for a plug and reassembled...still can't get that 7th shell to go (2 3/4" PDX1).

Thanks.

Re: Model 85370 capacity

XRAIL said:
930 SPECIAL PURPOSE - 930 SPX PISTOL GRIP - 8 SHOT
TACTICAL 85370 12 - FULL LENGTH STOCK/PG/EXT. MAG./PICATINNY RAIL 8

Does anybody have any idea why the magazine on this gun holds but 6 shots?

I took the cap off to look for a plug and reassembled...still can't get that 7th shell to go (2 3/4" PDX1).

Thanks.
usually means you tube spring is alittle on the long side... measure the length of your spring ...

Looks like 36" and thanks for the reply RippSpeed....should I be looking next on the box or somewhere else for where it was manufactured? I thought I read somewhere on here that if it came from Texas...expect the worse from there on in.

XRAIL said:
Looks like 36" and thanks for the reply RippSpeed....should I be looking next on the box or somewhere else for where it was manufactured? I thought I read somewhere on here that if it came from Texas...expect the worse from there on in.
look around here ... theres a couple of post on what length to cut it down too

Thanks again and I will. Hope that Mossberg is the type of company that will send me one as well if I can document it. If not, I'm not sure what to think moving forward...(unboxed it two days ago).

Measure 10 inches past the end of your entire magazine tube and cut the spring to that length.

DHonovich said:
Measure 10 inches past the end of your entire magazine tube and cut the spring to that length.
Thanks for the tip and a few questions if I may:

My call to Mossberg first went down the path that I was loading incorrectly sized shells (he couldn't tell me exactly what size was correct; he later came back with "2 3/4"...the PDX1s that I have are 2 5/16")...

...and then a sharp turn involving my paying to send it back in...which I refused to do until I received (on their insistence) a 'one-time-only' Fed Ex return label.

I tried to come up with some kind of different solution not necessarily involving expense on their part and was told that there are only two springs for this gun and that the other wouldn't work. So I'm loading 9/16" less length per shell...6 times total (vs the 7 advertised for 2 3/4" shells)...and I'm still compressing the 'stock' spring too much? Isn't the spring length on these semi-autos guns more of an exact science than that? Why would I trust these guys to even fix this issue when they won't even acknowledge the physics of what is happening here, simply say that they'll get back to me or even ask me to take some other measurements?

I appreciate the just cut the spring advice but frankly it worries me that 2 /3/4" isn't just simply 2 3/4" andf that anybody would ever have to attempt this modification in the first place (where's my warranty stand afterwards?) with a gun manufactured in this country....(thanks again, DHonovich).

I guess my other question would be...why would I want to burn my one and only 'freebie' with Mossberg :? on something that they obviously don't have a solution for and are evidently going to simply send back to me with the same parts installed?

OK, the shell size refers to the shell casing before loading and the final crimp. 2 3/4 or 3 inch. Using a micrometer I have found various sizes (and almost always off by a fraction) either longer or shorter. My SPX would sometimes load 6 or 7 depending on shell. I fixed this by cutting about 2 coils at a time. I eventually cut off about 3 1/2 inches and problem solved. I do not believe the tube spring is an exact science.

My next mystery is why the elevator sometimes gets stuck in the "up" position when it finds it's way past the bolt release inside the receiver. Easy enough to release it but it is a pain. Other than that I have none of the other issues mentioned here. I do love the gun.

Thanks, mtbkrman...I appreciate everybody who offered their thoughts on this and will try and return the favor. I really like this gun as well and believe that the upcoming XRAIL attached will make the current problem mute yet I am still somewhat hesitant to cut coils using near 1/2" shorter than standard 2 3/4" shells as a guage (still don't understand the physics involved there but oh well...). :?

Just to clarify. I use Remington "TAC8* 2 & 3/4 inch 00 buck. These are issued and required for duty use. The actual measurment of this round is 2 & 5/8 inch. Prior to cutting spring my spx would only load 6 in tube. If you decide to go this route just go slow, a little bit at a time and you should be fine. Recipe: cut, assemble, load tube. When you can get 7 in with just about 1/4 inch to play with, it should work fine. Good luck.

mtbkrman said:
"Just to clarify. I use Remington "TAC8* 2 & 3/4 inch 00 buck. These are issued and required for duty use. The actual measurment of this round is 2 & 5/8 inch. Prior to cutting spring my spx would only load 6 in tube..."

Thanks for confirming that even the shorter rounds fail to work as advertised regardless of how 'shocked' Mossberg Customer Service pretends to act (I'm sure it's just you, I and everybody else on here who has experienced this..).

I don't mind modifying...yet I really don't understand Mossberg trying to convince me that they can indeed 'fix' a spring issue (on my dime, initially)...without a box of whatever I'm shooting not shipped back right along with the gun itself (not that it should matter if it's less than 2 3/4" anyways).

Back