• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

must need ammo

mbshop

.270 WIN
I have read till my brain near exploded. I know that each shell of differant loads has its special purpose. But is there a list of must haves ? I know there is 00 buck and slugs. After that it seems it gets rather murky. Or is there just no such thing and one needs to stock everything or just what they find they need. Man, even my question confuses me. Any thoughts would be appreciated, good or bad. Thanks,

And different states have different regulations as to what they allow to be used to hunt certain things with too.

Realistically, as for shotgun, I like either #4 or #6 shot (I like 6 the best) for hunting small things from squirrel and rabbit up to turkey.

00 Buck is good for hunting anything bigger in brush and the terrain and distances I hunt in, and slugs are good for all of the largest things on the continent. Deer, Caribou, Moose, Elk, Bear, etc.

I prefer slugs for hunting big game and HD. I figure if I'm close enough for buck to be effective I'm close enough to hit it with a slug. For HD I don't like multiple projectiles. In a SHTF scenario all bets are off. I do have a small stash of various sizes of buck I've picked up on sale over time, one never knows what one might need in the future. or for dispatching an unruly bottle of water or aggressive watermelon.

For Turkey I prefer #5, or #6 shot, they seem to offer the best patterns out opf my gun.

For most other hunting I stick with #7.5 or #6. I've been told it's a little overkill for grouse and rabbit but I'm tired of picking the smaller shot out of the meat.

I uses #8, #9 for clays.

I'm gonna steer off course here and cover defensive ammo angle in case you weren't asking about hunting.

There's plenty of debate around here as to which ammo is best for self defense, but once you get past 00 buck and slugs the conversation gets pretty academic with a lot of particulars on situational necessity and such.

The variety comes into play at the beginning when you're feeling out which ammo performs best out of your shotgun. Most will pick up multiple brands and loads to test pattern on paper to determine which yeild the best results at defensive distances one would encounter inside and/or outside of the home.

When you find one that works for you, stick with it. You'll be better served buying lots of your chosen round and practicing with it a LOT than worrying about keeping a variety of different ammo in the house...

I'm more with LES... must have in my opinion is to stop nature's most dangerous animal... man. For that, as LES stated, I took a few brands of 00 buck and determined what my shotgun liked and grouped the best. Then I got some more of that ammo as a defensive load.

For other types of shogun ammo it really depends on what you are going to be doing with it. For shooting drills, clay shooting, and general small game I stock up on #7 & #8 bird shot.

For medium game you'll want to be looking at the smaller shot numbers depending on the prevalent game within your area.

For large game I have a decent stock of Federal Truball full power slugs. Those seem to fly the most consistent with my shotgun.

yea, have had the conversation on hd. house is small so even #4 buck should do well though I'm eventually going to use #1 buck. 00 buck is more for outside situations. slugs to reach out and touch someone. I don't see any hunting in my future. but I noticed that on the chart mentioned above I noticed one thing.
its that 7 1/2 shot shows up a lot. I will eventually stock maybe 50 rounds of all the gauges I can find but will stock much more of the ones I have just mentioned.
great discussion and you all have great suggestions. thanks so much !

yea, have had the conversation on hd. house is small so even #4 buck should do well though I'm eventually going to use #1 buck. 00 buck is more for outside situations. slugs to reach out and touch someone. I don't see any hunting in my future. but I noticed that on the chart mentioned above I noticed one thing.
its that 7 1/2 shot shows up a lot. I will eventually stock maybe 50 rounds of all the gauges I can find but will stock much more of the ones I have just mentioned.

It all has to do with range, gauge, game, and choke. Lot of variables that can be difficult to cope with. Many of my neighbors who hunt have a half dozen or more different shotguns with different chokes and will choose the gun and load best suited for whatever they are hunting. Can get real expensive.

Go to Walmart and you can get 100 rounds of birdshot for $25. Value pack

yea, I understand there is no real clear perfect answer. but the more info I get the more confused I get till I get info as above and then things start to make sense.
I'm only able to go to a range very rarely so shooting to find what works for me and the gun is near impossible. but I'm feeling better about the choices after the above info. again, thanks.

yep, I will be slowly stocking up. I basically only shop at wm. but I did find a decent deal on rio #4 buck at big 5 last week. budgets can be a real pain !

Federal brand with flight control groups well in most shotguns at HD distances. Since you won't be at the range that often there's a solid chance this brand will do well for you.

I'd also recommend picking up some dummy rounds and practice loading and proper stance and cheeking the stock safely at home.

yea, I understand there is no real clear perfect answer. but the more info I get the more confused I get till I get info as above and then things start to make sense.
I'm only able to go to a range very rarely so shooting to find what works for me and the gun is near impossible. but I'm feeling better about the choices after the above info. again, thanks.

Sometimes, I ( and others who live out in the country) forget that many folks(like yourself) can't simply step out on the back porch and blaze away whenever the urge strikes. Country folk have a somewhat different take on guns and ammo; whether for HD, hunting, or simply fun shooting than town folks. That may be contributing to the confusion factor.

yep, we don't get the pleasure of shooting when we get the urge by stepping outside. it takes planning and $$$$$.
I'm also at a slight disadvantage as I'm a paraplegic using a manual chair. so yes, I do need practice. nothing like shooting a shotgun and getting flipped over !
as to practicing loading and such, great advice, I will use some rounds that have been shot for that. I will fill them with something to give them the appropriate weight.

Back