• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My first AR build *Range report*

Re: My first AR build *Ready to fire*

Range report!

Overall it worked amazingly accept for the fact that I had the gas adjustment backwards in my head. So, I was undergassing it by the end. When I got home and looked at my documentation (why the hell I didn't bring it with me...) I realized what was going on.

Hope to get back there and update.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd2A1bOGw78[/youtube]

I didn't go back through the thread and look, but did you use an adjustable low profile gas block on the build, or ???

John A. said:
I didn't go back through the thread and look, but did you use an adjustable low profile gas block on the build, or ???

Yea, I used the one Spikes offers. The problem was all me. I was adjusting it backwards and making the issue worse. I assumed that because the casings were falling at my 5:30 it was overgassed. So I kept reducing it until it failed to cycle all together.

kxg00.jpg

Dude! Excellent video! Now go build her her own rifle!!! :D

that rifle is sweet! It looks great man, welldone!!! I may need to build one now... One Piece At A Time as the song goes...

I remember havin some quirks with mine after I tore it all down as soon as I got it! All my fault with those issues too! :lol:

I don't have any experience with the Spikes adjustable gas block, but I used to own a PRI adjustable gas tube once a long time ago in a galaxy far away.

I thought I was doing myself a favor by installing it so I could tune the rifle for the specific load, but it didn't take long to turn into more of a chore than anything trying to keep it even adjusted for the same ammo.

Not dissing you or your choices at all, but now I think of those adjustable tubes as more gimmicky than anything.

Once you tune a standard gun with a good buffer spring (like the Tubbs Chrome Silicone Flat Coil spring or the Sprinco SSS buffer spring or one of the various wolfe recoil springs, that's all the adjusting you'll ever have to do on an AR, and most new AR's don't even need a specialized spring.

If the barrel is to the correct specs, and the gas block/front sight tower is aligned correctly, and the gas key is tight, then the gun will almost always be ready to rock straight out of the box with nothing special required.

I ended up selling my adjustable gas tube for a loss and was glad to see it go. I hope your experience with them is better than mine was.

One thing I noticed was that the adjustment screw was all but a turn and a half to closed. So, it is my guess that I have it opened more I shouldn't need to mess with it any more unless it needs a bit more. Once it is set, I think it should be good.

Back