• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My first AR build *Range report*

Re: My first AR build

Kind of disappointed with the customer service at Spikes today.

I sent an email on Sunday about the wrong gas block being shipped. Decided to give a ring this morning and was put on a long hold then told the customer service person wasn't available and left a message for him to call back later. Called again at 1 after not hearing anything back and was told he was gone for the day.

Maybe I am just growing impatient because I am so close, but I would have liked to have at least been acknowledged that they are looking into it.

Well, I can't say how disapointed I am in Spikes Tactical right now.

I placed the order on 4/28

Sometime between 5/2-4 while I am on a business trip it comes in. I was elated with the speedy delivery. I get the box open that weekend and see that they sent me the wrong gas block as indicated in my last post. I send them an email explaining the error on Sunday and expect to hear back.

Monday 5/7 I end up calling in the late morning expecting to be told they got my email and are working to correct the problem. Instead I get some girl that sounds like I bothered her Facebook browsing and am transfered to Miles (listed on their site). After about 2-3 minutes of dead air holding I hear the phone ring again. It is the annoyed woman again.

"I can't seem to find him, would you like to leave a voice mail?"

I say sure and leave one for Miles explaining the issue.

I wait for most of the day for the reply and get nothing. So around 2PM I call back.

Same annoyed woman puts me on hold for Miles. After the obligitory 2-3 minute dead air hold time, I get Ms. Annoyed again saying how he is no longer available for the day and to call back tomorrow.

I call back the next day and finally get to speak with Miles. He apologizes and startes the process and tells me to expect an RMA and return shipping label in my email lo later than 5PM that day. 5PM Comes and goes and I only get the RMA.

I send an email and ask what gives and he replies, "I’m sorry Charley, my software was acting up as I sent you the call tag. I will try again today." Again 5PM comes and goes and no shipping label. So, at 8PM I send another email to Miles and the COO Paul (Both listed on their website) and proceed to display my frustration with the situation. By 9:33AM I get my email with a shipping label. FINALLY! I package it up and it is waiting on the dock for UPS that day at work.

Fast forward to 5/16. I check the tracking number and it was received on 5/15. I call and after speaking with Ms. Personality I get Miles. I ask about the RMA and he says (with suprise in his voice) "Oh yea, that is here on my desk. I will take care of that today." Later on I get the email that it has shipped allong with my tracking number.

Fast forward again to today. I get home and my shipment is here. I open it and I am happy to see that I got the right gas block. Hosever, they sent it with two allen keys to adjust it, and NO GAS BLOCK ROLL PIN! I am beside myself now. I fire off a disgusted letter to Miles, Paul, AND the CEO Tom this time (again all listed on their site) and tell them I would like one overnighted. What do you think will happen when I call tomorrow morning when I call after talking with Ms. Personality?

Not to mention that I also placed the order for the forend with my local shop the same day (4/28) only to be told last week they haven't "gotten enough of an order together yet to place one with Daniel Defence for what I already paid in full for?! I tried to call today after seeing a second online retailer get them in stock again (why I went to them in the first place) and when I asked for the "order guy" I heard the person that picked up the phone start to ask him about my order only to get dumped into the guys voice mail. 3 hours later and no return phone call and they are closed for the day.

Honestly, I am at wits endwith customer service (or lack there of) with people lately.

Sorry to hear brother,

The more I deal with different companies these days, the more I realize that this is becoming common practice. I share your disgust and hope you get it worked out...

Same here man, sorry for what youre havin to go through.

I was just talkin with someone else about this very thing and how it seems recently that the norm CS is exactly as you have detailed. The way things used to be for whatever reason, has come and gone but as the exception.

Sorry to hear but stories like this with customer service are far to common now-a-days.

Well, I got a call from Miles at Spikes today. He is overnighting me the roll pin along with a t-shirt for my troubles. I didn't ask for the t-shirt, I only wanted the roll pin overnighted so I am happy with the acknowledgement of my frustrations. It may have helped that I also started a thread on their forum after the frustrations of getting a hold of them during the RMA and have been updating it as I went. Squeaky wheel I guess...

As for my local shop I called again this morning and got dumped into voice mail for another time. I am planning on calling again later until I get to speak with the guy there. If he still hasn't dropped the order yet, I am going to cancel the order, get my money back, and order it online where I found some today and if they go out of stock I will order with backorder from Midway. At least my order will fill when they get them in and I won't be treated as a nuisance. I can understand if I was being a pest about it, but I have called twice in the weeks after placing the order (last and this week) only to be told he isn't going to order until there is enough to justify his shipping costs. Really?! I might have been happy to pay for some expedited shipping if he offered. I am tired of having to fight for people to allow me to spend my money with them.

On a happier note, the forend is the LAST piece before I get ot actually take her out and fire off my inaugural rounds! :D

I know its been a process and I am sooo lookin forward to seein and hearin about those inaugral rounds!!!

OK, after calling the local shop for two days and getting dumped directly to voice mail every time without a call back I decided I really just wanted an answer even if it was what I didn't want to hear. This time I called and explained to the person picking up the phone that I had paid for an item on 4/28 and I had been trying to reach the "order guy" sense yesterday leaving two messages with no call back. All I wanted to know was an update on an order that was almost a month old.

The guy got on the phone in what seemed like a defensive stance making his case. He explained that he couldn't find it in any of his distributors and needed to order direct from Daniel Defense (DD) directly. DD told him he needed to put together a $2500 order before they would ship to him. So he had to put one together for their new AR section they are building in order to get my part. After that I thanked him for the update and explained all I wanted to know was that it wasn't just shelved for three weeks and I appreciated that he also decided to invest into stock for his store to get me what I paid for. After that he seemed rather disarmed and I said I would call back in a week or so if I hadn't heard anything just to see how things are progressing and thanked him for taking a moment to fill me in.

Let's face it, I am a paying customer, and I paid for my part already in full, so all I wanted was an update and be made to feel someone was doing what they could for my money. I am sure the guy gets people blowing up on him for open orders not going fast enough. However, a little customer relations work can go a long way IMHO. And yea, I am getting a little OCD because I have been patiently building this for too long now. :lol:

Drumroll please....

The last functional peice came in today! The functional riflr is DONE!

Daniel Defence Light rail 14.0 inch

IMG_0752.jpg

Mounted

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

Guess what I am doig this weekend!

That truly is a beautiful firearm!!! Very well done my friend! :D

Re: My first AR build *Ready to fire*

Good Job!! Very nice AR!!

Looking forward to a range report and possibly some video (overtly blatent hint ;) ).

That's definately a lot of rail estate

Have at it this weekend! Post up results, pics - whatever you've got. Been fun watching now you are on the other side! Got a laser bore sight or are you starting from the seat-o-meter??!

Looks like this weekend is looking pretty crappy. So, I am headed to the range this evening to get in before the sun sets and get her sighted in. I'll get some video and pictures for sure.

No bore sight, so it will be a start at 25 yards and progressively work back.

I read through the old posts and enjoyed the details you shared along with the highs and lows of the project. Enjoy the fruits of your effort and let us know he it worked out.

That is a very nice Black Rifle hope you got more money for more ammo :mrgreen: you'r going to need it.I just read alot of your post about your build. I did my second AR the same way you did one part at a time.I got alot of info from AR15.com if you can put up with the trolls on there its not to bad have fun with the new toy in after you put 500 rounds down it to break it in good just bump a full mag thats when it really gets fun :D

That's awesome Ripsnortr!

Can't wait to see your range report. Nice work brother...

Back