• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My first AR build *Range report*

Re: My first AR build

What brand hammer is in the picture?

2012-03-22154423.jpg

John, that is the hammer that came in the box along with the bolt & carrier group. Why are you asking?

Because I have one like it that came in a complete LPK from Olympic Arms and was the first time I saw the SS forged into the hammer.

stainlesssteelhammer.jpg

I know that Spikes says they get their LPK's trigger group coated from FailZero, so no suprise they have the same markings.

2012-03-22190250.jpg

I have found a bit of speculation about the markings, but nothing solid as for a reason. I am guessing they may be forging marks.

It's coming along nicely Ripsnortr!

I love those BCM Gunfighter charging handles...

Hmmm, I'll have to look at mine. Although it wasnt an LPK, but curious now none the less.

The rifle really is lookin great!

Ripsnortr said:
I have found AR15.com to be a bit... harsh at times, but I was ablr to sift out what I needed. What are the forums you like to read on the subject? I'd be interested to carrouse them if you don't mind sharing.
m4carbine.net is not quite as bad.

Wow, I just noticed that I started this build in JULY! Jody says I have the patience of Job and I am starting to beleive her. :lol:

I have ordered the iron sights. I decided on;

Front Folding M4 Tritium BattleSight

"Just because the light’s not perfect doesn’t mean your aim shouldn’t be. Troy Industries’ TRITIUM BattleSights are designed for twilight or any low-light situation. TRITIUM is a form of hydrogen that emits a continuous light source where using batteries or electricity is not possible. The front post is centered between two Tritium points of reference to allow proper alignment, eliminating the poor sight orientation that’s typical in twilight."

Troy-BattleSight-Front-Tritium-M4-Fold-7_355.jpg

Troy-BattleSight-Front-Tritium-M4-Fold-12_355.jpg

Rear Folding Di-Optic Tritium BattleSight

"Advanced design, superior sighting and battle-ready toughness define Troy Industriesí new Di-Optic Aperture (DOA) flip-type sights. Now available with Tritium, a form of hydrogen that emits its own light source, ideal for any low-light shooting situation.

These sights provide lightning fast target acquisition and are manufactured to exceed military specs. The optically engineered apertures center your eyes instantly and effortlessly providing a clearer target picture than with round apertures.

The sights feature two settings, one for up to 300 meters and a second for up to 550 meters. This versatility makes the DOA ideal for military, law enforcement and home defense applications. These advanced sights have been extensively field-tested and, like all Troy Industries products, are Battle Ready. Count on it."

Troy-BattleSight-Rear-Tritium-DiOptic-Aperature-DOA-Folding-1_355.jpg

Troy-BattleSight-Rear-Tritium-DiOptic-Aperature-DOA-Folding-2_355.jpg

While I was at it I also got the;

Troy BattleSight Adjustment Tool

"Easily adjust elevation on Troy Front M4 and HK Style BattleSights and windage on Troy Front & Rear BattleSights."

Troy-BattleSight-Adjustment-Tool-1_355.jpg

The front came in already with the tool. The rear ended up on backorder and they are expecting it to be in by the end of this week, begining of next. So hopes are that I will see it by late next week. Once both are in I will post some pictures.

After looking at the front sight, I am impressed with the way the dot does glow in low/zero light. I am VERY interested to see how they look lined up together.

Very nice!

You're gonna love those sights. I have the same set in non-tritium on my Spikes midlength and they're great...

Awesome man! Those were my first choice!!!

Just ended up really diggin the A2 front post after awhile... so I'm gonnna live vicariously through you!!! :D

Well, it is down to the final parts and I wanted some outside input. The last thing for the basic functional build is the flash hider.

Open discussion, let 'er rip.

A1 is easy to install. You don't have to time it so the slots are any particular position.

A2 are supposed to be timed so the slots are only pointing up to help eliminate some of the dust signature if shooting prone (coincidentally causes more flash to disrupt night vision equipment). Some say they help prevent muzzle rise and act sort of as a compensator too.

Yankee Hill Machine Phantom. They are a little longer than a standard issue flash hider and are made in the likeness of A2 flash hiders, and I like them better because of the more aggressive styling.

I have used a modified phantom on my m10 submachinegun, an STG2000 AK47, MP5K sbr, and it currently resides on my 6.8 AR15. It has performed well on everything I have used it on and I am a big fan of them.

A1
note the slots go all the way around the flash hider
VarmintAR002.jpg

A2
note the slots are only on the top and side and the bottom is solid
MakoTgrip001.jpg

YHM Phantom
note the slots are only on the top and side and the bottom is solid
sixeight004.jpg

Phantom68004.jpg

I've seen alot I like the look of, but I have no functional experience with any other than the A2 John mentioned above.

Heres the standard A2, nothin fancy to look at but functional in that it does decrease the dust kicked up because of the solid bottom.

828794.jpg

I messed up installing mine. The crush washer came loose with the gas block when I removed it. I tried installing it with out the crush washer and didnt even know it was missing. It wouldnt line up right at all and I couldnt for the life of me figure out what was goin on... till I put out my feelers and John helped me out. He told me about the washer and posted a picture of it. Thats when I realized I had seen something resembling that but attached still to the gas block! I only had to pull it off and install on my barrel with the flash hider. Then it lined right up!!!

I'm a big fan of the Primary Weapons Systems FSC556 Flash Suppressing Compensator...

PWS: FSC556 Flash Suppressing Compensator

The FSC556 runs about $100, but does an excellent job with muzzle control and the side-to-side gas disbursement keeps the muzzle flash out of your line of sight. I've got one on my SCAR 16s and absolutely love the thing...

At this point, everything left to actually fire the gun has been ordered.

I am waiting for the rear sight to come off of backorder as stated in my earlier post.

I ordered these from Spikes Tactical today;

ST- FN Cold Hammer Forged 16 Mid-Length Barrel (5.56)

SB51606-ML.jpg

"These Amazing CHF barrels are extremely durable with a 20,000+ round service life. These CHF barrels are turned to ST's New Optimum barrel Profile. This New profile is lighter than government profile but beefier than a lightweight profile, it's an "Optimum" profile. It weighs 26.4oz with M4 Barrel extension and no FSB on the 16" Barrel. The barrels have a .750" gas block seat with a properly sized gas port and the muzzle is threaded perfectly concentric to the Bore with 1/2x28 threads. These CHF barrels are made to the Mil-Spec for the M249 SAW. The Cold Hammer Forging process Work Hardens the steel around a rifled mandrel, which creates the lands and grooves. These barrels are chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 Twist Rate. The barrel blanks are the correct Certified CMV material and they are also Hard Chrome lined to the M249 SAW Mil-Spec, which is almost twice as thick as the Hard Chrome on a Mil-Spec M4. The End Result is a Rifle that can be Run Hard Day after Day! Each barrel is HPT and MPI. They have Mil-Spec M4 barrel extensions, Mil-Spec Phosphate finish on the outside (under the front sight base as well). * Weight is 26.4oz"

Spike's Tactical Enhanced Adjustable Micro Gas Block (.750 w/set screw)

SUGB140.jpg

Introduction
"The Spike's Tactical Enhanced adjustable gas block allows you to tune your rifle to the particular ammo load you use, or for buffer weight. Tuning your gas system decreases the amount of recoil felt. The less recoil you feel the faster you can get your sights back on target. Sights back on target faster equals faster follow up shots. The Spike's Tactical Enhanced Adjustable Gas Block is adjustable from the front of the block, the adjustment mechanism is made up of a set screw and detent locking mechanism. The set screw controls the volume of gas that is directed to the BCG. The adjustment mechanism allows for repeated adjustment while in the field. The operation of the Spike's Tactical Enhanced Adjustable Gas Block is simple, depress the locking detent and turn the set screw clock-wise (screw it in) to decrease the gas flow to the BCG, and turn the set screw counter clock-wise (un-screw it) to increase the gas flow to the BCG. To turn the gas flow adjustment set screw the locking detent must be pressed in, it will not turn without pressing it in manually."

Features
•Machined from 416 Stainless Steel
•Melonite finish
•Made for barrels with .750" gas block seat
•Weighs 1.72 oz
•Length 1.00"
•Height 1.342"
•Width .904"
•Attaches with two set screws
•Adjusts from front of gas block

Included
•Spike's Tactical Enhanced Adjustable Gas Block
•(2) Set screws
•Stainless Steel Gas Tube Roll Pin
•5/64x6" L-shaped Hex Key
•Spike's Tactical Lifetime Warranty

Muzzle Device - A2 Flash Hider (1/2x28)

SAFH510.jpg

Introduction
"The A2 Bird cage Flash Suppressor is the standard muzzle device of the US Armed Forces and found on most M4/M16 rifles as well as most AR-15 rifles. Our A2 Flash Suppressor is finished with a Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate finish."

Features
•Mil-Spec A2 Bird Cage Flash Suppressor
•Threaded for 1/2x28”
•Compatible with calibers up to .223/5.56 NATO
•Mil-spec Heavy Phosphate Finish

Included
•A2 Bird cage Flash Suppressor
•Mil-Spec Crush Washer
•Spike's Tactical Lifetime Warranty

And after looking online in vain, I went to the local shop and ordered my forend from Daniel Defense.

AR15 Lite Rail™ 14.0, Rifle Extended

rail_renders576-1.jpg

"The Daniel Defense AR15 Lite Rail™ 14.0 (Rifle Extended) utilizes the patented Bolt Up System™. This innovative system gives the weapon system an uninterrupted upper rail platform and also allows the Armorer to install the rail system with simplified alignment to the upper receiver. Not only does this battle proven system provide features that no other rail system on the market possesses, but it is also the lightest rail system available.

The AR15 Lite Rail™ 14.0 is an extended rail system designed to be used in conjunction with a low profile gas block on either a carbine, mid-length, or rifle length gas systems. This rail system gives the end user even more “real estate” to mount various accessories available to the AR15 platform. When mounting a front sight to the top rail, it allows the shooter to have an extended sight radius enabling more precise shot placement."

While I was there I picked up this from Magpul;

B.A.D. Lever® - Battery Assist Device – AR15/M16

96_509_popup.jpg

So now the final waiting game begins. The money is spent, just have to wait for it all to come in. :roll:

SWEET!

I've got that same barrel and micro gas block on my Spikes mid-length. You're gonna love that set-up. I'm really lookin forward to seeing it all built out. Congrats brother, you're almost there...

Way to go man!!! Thasts gonna be incredible, I'm excited for you... and for me, I wanna see it all! :D

Well the parts are trickling in. I was away on a business trip this week to LA so they came in while I was away. It was nice to come home to a few boxes to rummage through.

Troy sent the rear sight. So as promiced...

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

The sights are VERY rugged feeling, they lock precisely into place and release by pressing the button on the side. I mounted them together on the upper just to see them line up. They are easy to get a sight picture, and I like the di-optic rear, the shape seems to make for easier line up.

The low light dots work amazingly well. Just as easy to gain a sight picture in low light conditions.

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

The adjustment tool looks like it will be good to have. One end is used to adjust the windage on the rear sight and the other to adjust the front sight elevation.

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

The Spike's Tactical order came in as well. They unfortunately sent the wrong gas block. They sent the non-adjustable low profile block. Correct part number on the packing slip, but the wrong part number on the package. So, someone made a simple mistake. I sent an email and plan to call on Monday to see what can be done.

That slip aside, the barrel and flash hider were as I had hoped. The barrel nut comes with the forend which is still on order from my local shop so I was able to clean up the barrel and install the flash hider. I slid it into the upper to get a look at what to expect.

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

I also got the Magpul BAD lever installed. This works as advertised and I am impressed with the functionality. I think I will be glad to have this addition. I haven't been able to snap the bolt closed because I am not sure if that is something I should be doing without the barrel installed, but I can lock the bolt open and depress the bolt catch with the trigger finger easily.

IMG_0533.jpg

I also got a bit of ammo to have on hand from Cheaper than Dirt. 420 ruouds on stripper clips.

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

All I have left is to wait for the forend to come in to tie everything together and finish the basic build. More to come!

Its Beautiful! :shock:

Great pics man, the sights are incredible and the rifle... ugh, so close!!! Almost there man and it looks SWEET!

Back