• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My home defense

Awastatyme

.270 WIN
DSC_00012-1.jpg

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

Cool gun, a friends brother in law found one in the woods last hunting season. They say the short barrel castrates the 410's power......what do you think?

I think the short barrel does not let the .410 get its fps that the ammo says on the box. With that being said my longest shot I would take for home defense would be around 20 ft and I would not want to be on the receiving end of that.
I have Hornady ballistic tip .45lc alternated with winchester pdx410 in it right now, and a box of Federal .410 handgun loads by the bed just in case.
The winchester loads have 3~00 buck shot size disk backed with 9 bb's
The Federal loads are 4~000 buck shot.

Sounds cool, I can see the versatility in using a 410 load for in the house and a LC for the yard…seeing as how the LC would probably penetrate more walls than a 410 load .

I would imagine that it looses a lot of punch due to the short barrel...the rifling might suffer from the shot too. Even the .45Colt wouldn't get up to speed...

But, as you said...wouldn't want to stand in front of it.

Cool idea...but not my cup of tea...!!

Good luck with it tho... :cool:

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I love those wood grips!

How do they handle/feel compared to the rubber?

They feel great in your hand, but you can feel more of the recoil than you do with the rubber grips.

I hear ya.

My S&W PC 629 snubbie wears a pair of checkered walnut grips. They definitely pass along a bit more of the recoil to your hand vs. rubber, but I love em.

I think there is some research on the site box o truth concerning these. I would like to have one but I live in ca., and they say it's a no no.

cbshooter said:
I think there is some research on the site box o truth concerning these. I would like to have one but I live in ca., and they say it's a no no.

What is the reason in CA that you can not have them?

I really enjoy shooting the .45lc out of it.
I got my wife to shoot it once with the .410 and she was scared from all of the YouTube videos of girls getting hit in the face from idiot husbands/boyfriends just handing them the gun and said shoot it, and not showing them the basics of shooting.

Awastatyme said:
cbshooter said:

What is the reason in CA that you can not have them?

I really enjoy shooting the .45lc out of it.
I got my wife to shoot it once with the .410 and she was scared from all of the YouTube videos of girls getting hit in the face from idiot husbands/boyfriends just handing them the gun and said shoot it, and not showing them the basics of shooting.

Yeah, Mine too. like I wouls want her to drop one of my guns. or worse yet. get blood on it. :evil:

I have the Night Court Judge. 3" barrel and 3" chamber. for HD, I think it is a good gun. Easier to manipulate than a full stock or pistol grip shotty. & even if youre not the best shot. you will have a better chance of hitting your target. Mine also has a fiber optic front bead. better for low light conditions.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum SLUG36 !!

When you find the time, please stop by the New Members Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community !! ;)

Ca. DOJ has a list of guns not allowed in the state and they consider them (I guess ) to be a short barrel shotgun. The long barrel version is allowed. I don't understand all of their B*** Crap either. I moved here last year and I still have 99% of my guns w/family on the east coast and trying to figure out what I can legally bring into Ca. I own a AR (still on East Coast) and the only way I can bring it in to Ca. is to buy a stripped lower and change it all over to the new lower and add what they call a bullet button so the mags are hard to change. I am still not sure if I will stay here or not.

cbshooter said:
Ca. DOJ has a list of guns not allowed in the state and they consider them (I guess ) to be a short barrel shotgun. The long barrel version is allowed. I don't understand all of their B*** Crap either. I moved here last year and I still have 99% of my guns w/family on the east coast and trying to figure out what I can legally bring into Ca. I own a AR (still on East Coast) and the only way I can bring it in to Ca. is to buy a stripped lower and change it all over to the new lower and add what they call a bullet button so the mags are hard to change. I am still not sure if I will stay here or not.
It only took me 5 months of living in Cali to realize it wasn't for me. Moved back to the midwest in a hurry.

You should all move to Texas. My state is working on take the word "concealed" out of the Concealed handgun licesnce. Which whould mean if you have the licesnce then you could carry on your hip in plan site.

Iowa already allows that. Actually, you can carry ANY weapon out in the open if you have a permit to carry. So long as it's legal to own that weapon that is.

Hey, Awastatyme how's the fishing where you are. I mainly like shallow saltwater fishing. I spent a few weeks in Corpus Christi about 10 years or so ago and was on the water every day. I was visiting my nephew who is in the Navy. The best was tying the skiff up at the rear of the restaurant's and having a poor boy and a few beers for lunch, ah good times.

The fishing here is great!!!! Sabine Lake is one of the best places to catch Speckle Trout, Redfish and Flounder in Texas, if not the whole Gulf Coast! Then you can turn around and hit the Gulf for some Red Snapper, Mahi Mahi, Mackrel, and more.
Then its not that far of a drive to hit Sam Raburn for some good bass fishing, but right now Raburn is about 12-14 foot low due to the huge drought that we are having.

Back