• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

need help finding a 590 forend bottom rail

Got a problem and need help.....
just got the magpul AFG to put on the bottom rail of my flex 590 tactical.

the current botom rail set up has some kind of angled stop on it and wont allow the AFG to slide all the way on. it sticks out further on the front than the forend stock.
AFG590_zpsea14a991.jpg

the pic below is the length (5 1/4") of my current stock ANGLED END rail and im needing a 13 rail standard one matching the 3 position holes.
any ideas where i can get one to swap out with. the searches i did for one came up empty...... :?
5amp1forthbottomrail590_zps29e36989.jpg

oh cool, that must be the all new metal AFG.....lol....just hacking on ya

How 'bout putting the rail on backward, with the stop to the front?

Then slide the AFG on from the rear, and you're good to go...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
How 'bout putting the rail on backward, with the stop to the front?

Then slide the AFG on from the rear, and you're good to go...

yeah i tried that too already, but then it covers acces to the release on the back end and its sits off too far back from the front of the forend, and not liking the look the way it sits on reverse.

i also thought about dremiling the angled piece to make it work, but i dont know if i want to do that just yet, id rather buy one, if i can find it. ;)

I'm not talkin about reversing the AFG, just the rail.

Have you tried calling Mossberg sales for an additional bottom rail? That way you know it'll fit, you can modify it to your liking, and still have an unmodified spare factory rail...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I'm not talkin about reversing the AFG, just the rail.

Have you tried calling Mossberg sales for an additional bottom rail? That way you know it'll fit, you can modfy it to your liking, and still have an unmodified spare factory rail...

yeah, same here, im talking about flipping the rail too.

called mossberg but had a long wait time so im gonna try next week, im off, so ill have time.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
you can modify it to your liking, and still have an unmodified spare factory rail...
what liking are you refering to, im game for anything at this point.

I'm thinking you file down the "angled stop" on the end of the rail so you can push the AFG as far forward as needed...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I'm thinking you file down the "angled stop" on the end of the rail so you can push the AFG as far forward as needed...

i have been thinking of something along the same line too. im pretty sure that will work.
guess you gotta make some trial and error decissions to make it a true "MOD" :cool:

I personally don't like a grip that far foward anyway because I like to keep my elbows so they are as close to my sides as possible instead of stuck straight out most of the length of the gun because that just seems like it would be tiresome to point after a while, but I guess that's just me.

But if you were to just turn the rail around and put the stop on the front of the forend instead, the AFG won't protrude forward of the forend towards the muzzle.

Actually, it looks like the rail is shorter than the AFG is to begin with, so there may be a little space where the AFG is not supported all that great no matter which direction it is turned, but the AFG wasn't really designed around a mossberg rail anyway. They were designed to be used on full length M4 forends.

I couldn't use the AFG on my M10/9 either.

For that matter, I couldn't use the front or rear MBUS on it either.

John A. said:
I personally don't like a grip that far foward anyway because I like to keep my elbows so they are as close to my sides as possible instead of stuck straight out most of the length of the gun because that just seems like it would be tiresome to point after a while, but I guess that's just me.

But if you were to just turn the rail around and put the stop on the front of the forend instead, the AFG won't protrude forward of the forend towards the muzzle.

Actually, it looks like the rail is shorter than the AFG is to begin with, so there may be a little space where the AFG is not supported all that great no matter which direction it is turned, but the AFG wasn't really designed around a mossberg rail anyway. They were designed to be used on full length M4 forends.

I couldn't use the AFG on my M10/9 either.

For that matter, I couldn't use the front or rear MBUS on it either.

Yeah its just an aesthetic look and seeing how it functions on it.
Havent shot it yet so we will see. But I like the intimidating look with it on. I know its an AR piece but I also have an AR style butt stock so I guess it compliments it. :lol:

No worries.

I have grips and AR stocks on my 500 too. They may not work for everyone else, but they do for me.

drugfreecostumepics027.jpg

John A. said:
No worries.

I have grips and AR stocks on my 500 too. They may not work for everyone else, but they do for me.

drugfreecostumepics027.jpg

Nice set up John. Like it.
What rail accessory is that for your surefire?
I own a few different surefire's that I'm wanting to add on later. Love the surefire.

By the way oli700 if ur reading, I do have an all METAL surefire too.... :lol:

I'm new to the forum today, but I thought I would offer up what I did. I really like the AFG, but mounting can as you mentioned pose an issue. I weighed my options and I realized I would most likely seldom remove the forend (I bought the tactical version for a reason after all) and a little careful carving on the rail with a razor knife would hardly be noticeable. None of this is groundbreaking, but it was a way I could break the ice and post a picture of my recent affection! :D

Attachments

• Moss590_2a.jpeg
    Moss590_2a.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 324
jotto73 said:
I'm new to the forum today, but I thought I would offer up what I did. I really like the AFG, but mounting can as you mentioned pose an issue. I weighed my options and I realized I would most likely seldom remove the forend (I bought the tactical version for a reason after all) and a little careful carving on the rail with a razor knife would hardly be noticeable. None of this is groundbreaking, but it was a way I could break the ice and post a picture of my recent affection! :D

that looks like a sweet set up.
got any closeups of your rail carvings, to get a better idea.

im fixing to do the same to my rail since i cant find what i need. now i havent called mossberg, or i should say, havent got thru to talk to a live person, to find out if they have another bottom rail for the flex without the angle stopper. but plan on trying till i get thru.

welcome to the best shotgun forum on the net.....ur gonna love it here....lots of good help, advice, and knowledgeable ppl.

Back