• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Need help with a friend's 930 problem

Pawpaw

.30-06
Supporter
Yesterday at the range, a friend was showing me his 930 Watchdog. It sure is a nice looking shotgun and it runs like a top. The problem comes in when he unloads it. He uses it for 3-gun, so he has to unload frequently.

The magazine follower or spring will get hung up, so the unfired shells will just dribble out when he pushes the button, instead of shooting out under spring pressure. It acts like the spring or follower are getting hung up somewhere. Everything is factory original. He hasn't even cut down his magazine spring. He can free it up by putting the shells back in, loosening the mag extension, & thumping the side of the forend a couple of times.

I had him install my GG&G follower, cut-down mag spring, and Nordic extension. No joy, it still happens. I inspected the end of his mag tube and it looks pristine. It's in better shape than mine.

Got any other ideas?

Howdy @Pawpaw .

When we see cases like this, it's usually one or both of the following culprits. The factory mag tubes sometimes thread on crooked, causing a gap that the mag spring gets hung up in. Or, sometimes the forend doesn't fully seat all the way to the rear keeping the extension from threading far enough forward. This again causes a gap between the mag tube and the extension that can hang up the spring. I'd start there and let us know how it looks.

We have seen all sorts of issues when attempting to manually operate the action that do not present during live fire. It's unfortunate for unloading during competition and such, but the system is designed to operate under the full force of recoil...

Thanks LES. I called him and passed on that info so he can check it out. When you said "The factory mag tubes sometimes thread on crooked", you meant the mag tube extension, correct? If so, remember that it still happened when we put my Nordic extension on his gun.

I suspect the forend isn't seating all the way, as you said. I also have a polymer follower here, somewhere, that I'll loan him to try out.

Thanks again.

Try a GG&G follower. The stock follower can get hung up at the junction since the tube and extension aren't exactly the same size. The GG&G folower has beveled edges and will fix that issue.

When you said "The factory mag tubes sometimes thread on crooked", you meant the mag tube extension, correct?

Yes Sir, sorry I did mean the extension. Let us know if the issue continues and we'll look into other options...

Try a GG&G follower. The stock follower can get hung up at the junction since the tube and extension aren't exactly the same size. The GG&G folower has beveled edges and will fix that issue.

Thanks, but we already tried that. It still happened with MY Nordic extension, GG&G follower and mag spring.

Try cleaning the inside of the magazine tube and extension. I used Flitz metal polish and a high speed drill. I polished both as well as I could and my 930's intermittent feeding issue has yet to return.

Back