• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 590S Shockwave question...

Greetings to all, hope you're doing well.

I'm going to be purchasing a new Mossberg 590S Shockwave w/ 14" Bbl (SKU # 56101) specifically for the Mrs to shoot 12ga mini/short shells through, but I've noticed that there are two ( 2 ) different UPC's used by various brick & motor and online firearms retailers: 015813506013 and 015813506014.

Both 590S Shockwave UPC's are matched to the proper SKU # for the 12ga 14" Shockwave, so there is no confusion with the longer 18" model, or even the 20ga or .410 version of Shockwave "firearms". I tried contacting Mossberg Customer Service and they stated that they only go based off of SKU numbers (# 51601), and that they're not tracking any such UPC listed as 015813506014.

My question to those who might possibly know is what (if anything) is the difference between these ( 2 ) 590S Shockwave UPC's? I don't want to purchase one and it not be the most "up to date" model in terms of manufacturing and materials or anything else that might be different. Again, the Mossberg UPC's in question are 015813506013 and 015813506014.

Many thanks in advance for the help. S/F

Last edited:
I can’t answer the question about the difference in UPC codes but the “S” model shockwave is a pretty recent product launch by Mossy. I think it’s only about a year or so since its launch. If you buy one now it should be the latest and greatest. Also if you look at the Mossberg label on the box it has a packed on date and the ID number of the packer. This would be a good way to judge how fresh the shotgun is.

Of the 590S Shockwaves I've seen in person, the UPC on the boxes are 015813506013. However, online there are some that say 015813506014 with the same SKU number of 51601. Seems to be around a $10 difference between the UPSs also, but NOBODY knows the reason why for the two numbers...

Yes Sir, it's capable of running mini/short shells without the Opsol and is the primary reason why I'm getting it for my Wife for HD work (if needed, Heaven forbid).

She currently runs the S&W M&P 12 Bullpup w/ #4 Buckshot as well as the mini's but she wants something a bit "smaller" that can go from the hip. I'm getting her the CrimsonTrace laser and Streamlight racker also. Here's her 12ga called "Ripley" (from "Aliens")...
20230203_092101.jpg
20230203_092019.jpg

You might want to see if you can find an original Shockwave (without the S) and add the adapter from Defender Tactical. You will probably save some $$$. When I bought mine (new) the "S" version wasn't available. Now it works the same as the new version.

My LGS has new 14" 590S Shockwaves for $480, so I may as well stick with these.

in regards to the adapter for the previous Shockwaves, I figure the newer "S" model will have one less thing my Wife has to worry about or mess with. THX

in regards to the adapter for the previous Shockwaves, I figure the newer "S" model will have one less thing my Wife has to worry about or mess with. THX
I agree that spending the extra for a newer turn-key gun is a GOOD thing. If you do a search here for 590S, I believe I link to an article about the full-length version that might be worth viewing.

Check Gunbroker, I got mine with a laser saddle for 355$

Looks great! Very similar to mine. I added a Big Dot and it definitely improved my accuracy. You might consider one since you have a rail on your receiver.

Not a Mossberg, but this SBS'd Remington V3 Tac 13 will be quite the hoot once I open it up for shell testing this weekend (pending weather...). No mini/shorty shells for this one, but I don't think I'll care too much...
Rem V3a.jpgRem V3b.jpg
How it started out when I began the SBS process earlier this year after I replaced the black synthetic stock & forearm with wooden furniture...
Rem V3 01.jpgRem V3 02.jpg

Dumb question. Since the Tac13 starts life as a “ firearm” like the shockwave, but you made it into an SBS, is the tax stamp something that is actually stamped onto the receiver or is it just a piece of paper you have to carry with the popper? Just curious

View attachment 29689View attachment 29690

It's been a few weeks. Curious how you're liking both the new SG's....

BTW...they're both lovely. Actually all three SG's are lovely and I'd love to have 'em all in my safe.
Thanks for the compliment! Both the 590S and the M&P 12 run like a champ and are very soft shooting 12ga boom-sticks, especially with the mini/shorty shells. My Wife and I will throw in some #4 buck every now and then, although I'm sure they can handle full 00 buck if need be. I still have not had the chance to run the Tac 13 yet due to work and weather (no excuse, I know...), but I want a full day/night and shooting it alongside of my M3, M4, 1301, and SLP with #4 and 00 buck, as well as high brass slugs. Who needs a (properly) working shoulder/shoulders anyways, right? (Lol) I'll keep updates rolling in.

BREAK

There's a couple of new 940 Pro Tactical semi-auto's at my LGS that look VERY nice, and I dunno how long I can hold out on one of them as they're going for $960 OTD...

Last edited:
Meanwhile, in the "not-related-to-the-original-Shockwave-post"...

I caved in and purchased a new Remington V3 Tactical (w/ vented rib and front bead sight) last week. This one was a long time coming, as I've sought after this particular tactical gas gun for some time now. Despite what Remington's website states, I can confirm 100% that it is indeed a 7+1 shotgun w/ 2 3/4" shells and a 6+1 w/ 3" shells. With this being a semi-auto, I'm not even going to try mini/shorty shells.
20230923_000245.jpg20230923_000314.jpg20230923_000434.jpg
The two new Mossberg 940 Pro Tactical shotguns at the LGS were sold over the weekend but I went ahead and ordered another new one (w/o the red dot) through the base main exchange. This will complete the U.S. based semi-auto tactical 12ga offerings from both Mossberg and Remington for HD in my household/property. My other HD semi's are Italians (M3, M4, 1301 Tactical) except for my Belgian FN SLP (which is basically a Winchester SX2(?)... or is it the other way around?), so these two new semi's will be welcomed stateside additions. Still on the fence about the Savage Renegauge Security tactical shotgun...

The intent is to try to keep this V3 Tac and incoming 940 Pro Tac primarily in stock form as-is except for the additions of a tactical sling & QD sling mount hardware and some good hook & loop shotshell cards for the receivers and stocks. No plans for pistol grips, lights, red dots, or any aftermarket internals (yet...). More to follow shortly...

Back