• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 930 SPX Observations and issues

Jay H

.22LR
Hi All,

New to the forum. I'm joining because I just purchased a 930SPX and a 590A1 20". Upon examining my 930 SPX everything pretty good. On dissasembly things looked good until I saw the standard mag tube. It has 2 good size gashes from what I assume is sloppy barrel instalation? No big deal as it does not affect functioning and is not visable unless striped.

Upon loading for the first time I notice only 6 rounds of 2-3/4 will fit. I removed the mag spring cap and measured the spring length at 38" Way too long! I trim it up to 28" and all 7 now fit. I do some manual cycling and all rounds feed and eject. OK now all is well? Not quite. I decide to re-load and try manual cycling again and now I can only get 4 rounds in the mag tube. The 5th round sticks just as it's about to seat but does not get into the tube. Aparantly the follower is hanging up on the portion where the mag tube and extension meet. Now this does not happen every time I try to load but probably 50% of the time or more. Also I notice that when I screw the Choate Mag tube on, it clearly wobbles which probably contributes to the follower hanging up at the joint? My fix was as follows. I Dremmel down the mag ext lip that is just past the threads and I also round off the sharp edges of the follower. Now everything is smoothed up and manually functioning as it should. The mag spring seems really cheap so I ordered a new one fron Wolfe. I also ordered a +2 extension and "No Jam" follower from S&J. I'm going to call Mossberg tomorrow and let them know about the bent extension and see if they will replace it? Went to the range to do some test firing today but they were having some special Archery events and the firearm ranges were closed down. Will try again tomorrow. Other than the mag tube and spring, that are easy fixes, the 930 SPX looks very promising. Mossberg really should get it together and put a better quality mag spring and "Straight" ext tube on the SPX.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners. I have read about the same issue that you are having before. You did the best thing by buying then S&J hardware extension and follower they are top of the line. So go and shoot it at the range and have fun! They are great shotguns!! I would contact Mossberg if you have any issues at the range. Once again Welcome to M.O.!!!

KentuckyWindage said:
Welcome to Mossberg Owners. I have read about the same issue that you are having before. You did the best thing by buying then S&J hardware extension and follower they are top of the line. So go and shoot it at the range and have fun! They are great shotguns!! I would contact Mossberg if you have any issues at the range. Once again Welcome to M.O.!!!

Thank You Much! :D :D

Called MB this AM. They are going to send me a new mag tube. no questions asked. Of course I plan on using the S&J one I have coming but hey it will be nice to have a straight original one...Hopefully

OK, I had a chance to take it out to the range today. I'm Impressed! Functioned flawlessly with High Brass Military Buck shot and low brass game loads. The low brass was Winchester High Velocity 2 3/4 6 shot 1OZ. I was really impressed with the pattern the game load was making at 25 yards. The sights were right on and the trigger broke crisply albeit a bit on the light side for a combat weapon. The spent casings were ejected at a 45 angle forward of the gun to a distance of about 6-8 feet. Both types of shells ejected aprox in the same manner. It's been a long time since I've lit off a 12G so I can't compare the felt recoil to other guns. It was managable and fairly easy to get back on target for follow up shots. MB does need to address the mag ext and spring issues however, once that is cleared up, this gun really performs and is fun to shoot.

Attachments

• SPX.JPG
    SPX.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 345
Glad to see you were able to get out and heat her up a bit!

I love my 930 and it's always a joy to shoot. Thanks for sharing your results and impressions...

Sounds good! Mine has been flawless after some massaging. You will love the Wolff spring. The S&J follower may have a long "tail" on it. I had to trim it down to fit all 7 shells.

Back