• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New member from eastern NC.

Joe Smith

Copper BB
Hello everyone.

Before I came to this site I scoured the internet for a Mossberg 930 SPX auto with pistol grip blog and found this site to be the closest to meeting that desire.

After a little help from Moderator Dab Honovich via his professional web site, I was able to register and log in. Thanks Dan !

I live 5 miles from where the current record black bear was taken (880#) and see bears on my 20 acres weekly. Prior to purchase of the 930, I carried a SS S&W 44 mag I bought new while in AK. Never had to use it for its intended purpose but it was a comfort having it along everywhere I went. Last fall I came upon a cub while walking a new ATV trail we just made and knew Mom wasn't too far away so I drew the 44 and slowly backed away towards my ATV. The curious cub followed me and when the sow appeared she huffed the cub up a tree and fortunately made a false charge while I backed up with the gun pointed at her the entire time. She watched as I disappeared around a corner of the trail and I hot-footed back to the 4-wheeler as fast as my one arthritic knee would allow. (Got a new RH knee).

I realized while looking down that short barrel that I was foolish to think that I could guarantee a head shot on a charging bear. So after some looking around these past months, I got the 8 shot, SPX autoloader and like all my guns, hoping never having to use it against a bear, it'll be more comfort than the short barreled six shooter.

I live an hour and a half from the Outer Banks and besides deer and bear hunt, fish for bass, crappie and catfish.

Looking forward to hearing from you folks and I apologize if I don't respond right away as right now is the best time for outdoor projects and chores as all the snakes and bugs are waiting for warmer temps.

Best!

Joe

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! I am glad I was able to help you sign up. Sounds like the Mossberg 930SPX is exactly what you need.

Welcome aboard!

Looks like you've got some excitement planned for your new 930SPX! We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of your new 930 and any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

Welcome from MI!!

My dad got false charged a few years ago by a young bear waking out to his tree stand. He was bowhunting (for bear) and I don't think he had a backup gun with him. He said it was a very intense couple of seconds. Black bears are probably the least aggresive the north american bears but with any wild animal, you never know.

Thanks for joinin MO Joe!!!

We dont have bear, but we do have coyote and I'm not comfortable without a firearm in the woods either.

Hope youre able to enjoy the 930 without having to use it on bear!

Howdy Joe Smith and welcome to the club.

Oh man you sound like you get to have lots of fun!!! well besides the bear thing....lol
glad you came away unscratched....

Back