What's new
Mossberg Owners

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Owner of a 500 Persuader w/ Gold Trigger

mossboberg

Copper BB
Hi all, new owner from California and newbie to the site. I did a little research in wanting my first shotgun and decided on a Mossy 500 after weighing all the options out there. I waited for my local Big 5 to have a sale on the 500 persuader and saw it advertised there for $289. I checked out the gun and told the salesperson that I wanted it, when he showed me another one that he was just getting ready to put out on the salesfloor. It was identical to the standard 500 persuader except that it has a gold trigger (instead of silver) and a red fiber optic sight (instead of the brass bead) on the end of the barrel. I asked him how much more this shotgun was versus the other one and the difference was only $10, sale price was $299. So I purchased it because it was the only one that I've seen and I figured it was worth the extra ten bucks, but now I have a gun that I don't know a whole lot about besides it being a regular 500 persuader with these extra goodies.

I've done a little research and discovered the "crown grade" shotguns that Mossberg used to manufacture although I don't believe that this is one of those, and some information about Mossberg's 50th anniversary and thought that they may possibly have made these to commemorate it, but again have found no concrete answers. Anything that the experts on this forum can contribute is greatly appreciated. I've included some pictures including the model number that was printed on the box of which I've been unable to find anything about either. Thanks in advance, great site and glad to be a new member.

Shotgun.jpg

Shotguntrigger.jpg

Shotgunbarrel.jpg

Shotgunbox.jpg

Welcome to the Mossberg owners Forum mossboberg !!

Sounds like you made the right choice when it came to options...and definitely the right choice when it comes to shotguns !!...Congrats ;)

Welcome aboard!

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of any other firearms you own the various sub-forums. Let us know if you have any questions.

Oh, and in our collective experience with Mossberg products we've learned that there is a new special run or dealer exclusive discovered just about every week. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it either. We'll do some digging to see what we can find out about your model, but don't be surprised if it's origins prove to be as elusive as most of the others we've encountered.

Enjoy the site!

Well, ain't that the truth SNIPER !!

Just did a quick check of the website...looking for Item # 51588....nada !!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! Mossberg has more model variation than just about any manufacturer out there so your guess is as good as mine when it comes to this particular model.

We're glad to have you! And right off the bat posting pics, Well Done!!!

I have to say, while I love the Persuader, I know nothing about this model. Someone had said in another post he is convinced every model # from OFM is a "special run". Who knows for sure man...

Good lookin gun, I have the same model myself... only regular type! ;)

I'm with everyone else here, new week, new part number! Congrats and welcome to the club!!!

Thanks for all of the responses, makes me feel better in a strange way that nobody else seems to know much about this model Mossy. I guess it's just one of those company quirks (a good one at that) and I'd be interested in hearing about other unique models that anybody else knows anything about.

Here's one for starters. My 590 Cruiser with 23" breacher/stand-off barrel and, here's the kicker, a beautiful American Flag laser etched into the receiver...

It has a unique OFM part number and I've never seen another one like it.

As long as it isnt pinned it should be the 7 1/2" ish (7 3/8 or somethin real close).

I also bought an identical Mossberg 500 at Big 5 (gold trigger, fiber optic sight and number on the box). During the first 8 shot test run, the plastic insert fell out of the sight. I called Mossberg Service direct at the advice of the Big 5 Manager. They sent me two replacement sights which arrived at my house on the second day after the call. I asked the service person what model I really had and was advised that it was a special run for Big 5 but she could didn't know how many units were in the run.