• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New to me 590a1

Nossit

Copper BB
Hey guys, I'm new to the shotgun world and I broke into it with a 590a1 from Cabella's. My cousin bought an 870 and was trying to persuade me into buying one. We walked over to the used gun library and found this baby.

It was 320 bucks with 10% off this weekend. When I bought it, I had some difficulty obtaining it because 911 changed our address and I didn't have proof of it. Well I went home (an hour away) with it on lay away and my dad faxed the letter from 911 to them. The next day, the man apologized and felt bad for having me drive so much so he knocked 20 more bucks off of it. Tax and all was 280 bucks.

I haven't shot it yet but everything looks in tact. The barrel is smooth as can be and it cycles fine.

Is there anything I need to know about it or need to check that only you all would know? I'm fairly new to shotguns but I do have some general knowledge about firearms. Can I do anything to bring the finish back on that scratch on the barrel? Its in good shape other than that one scratch.

Anyway, here it is!

960_510679015622921_394178091_n.jpg

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Nossit !!

Congrats on the new 590a1....

Welcome! I beleive I have the exact some model, love it!
Try oiling the barrel overnight, it may slightly darken the scratch.
Also give it a good cleaning and re-oil.
Best of luck

Welcome to MO!

Yeah, pretty much what they said!

Congratulations!

The gun shot just fine today. It's a lot of fun and I'm glad I picked it up.

Also, thanks Water Monkey. That video is a life saver for me.

Nossit said:
The gun shot just fine today. It's a lot of fun and I'm glad I picked it up.

Also, thanks Water Monkey. That video is a life saver for me.

Awesome glad it helped!

Got a home defense shotgun video in the works. Stay tuned :)

Did you ever make that video? I have been trying to decide on whether or not I'd grab my sr40c or my shotgun. I would probably grab the shotgun but I would enjoy watching such video none the less.

Re: New to me 590a1 (the scratched barrel)

Nossit said:
Can I do anything to bring the finish back on that scratch on the barrel? Its in good shape other than that one scratch.

If the scratch is down to the metal, you can try a cold bluing pen (http://www.topgunsupply.com/birchwood-c ... e-pen.html). If you do give this a try, make sure to clean the area of any oil, and it might be good to test it on a small part of the scratch to make sure everything works ok.

Back