• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Noob here, 100ATR in 308, what shoots best

jgillaspy

Copper BB
Hello,

I haven't even received my rifle yet, but I'm already looking for ammo. What commercially available ammo shoots best from the 100ATR in 308? I'm looking to hunt hogs and deer in TX and range work. Any helpful hints? Reloading is a possibility in the future as I have a press, just no 308 dies yet.

Thanks,

John Gillaspy

I don't own a 100 ATR, but I've spent plenty of .308 brass from my Remy 700s over the years. I've always seen best results on paper from 168gr Federal Premium Gold Medal Match ammo, but often put up sub-MOA groups using the cheaper Wally World 150gr Fedaral Power-Shok Soft Points. It all comes down to what your rifle ends up liking. Your barrel's twist rate will ultimately determine what weight bullet to start with. Generally, a longer twist rate of 1/12" will do well with a lighter round whereas a shorter twist of 1/9" works best with a much heavier bullet. Once you get your rifle, pick up a variety of different loads and try them out. Chances are you'll find one to your liking pretty quick. The key is to find one that works for you and stick with it. As a general rule your hunting ammo should also be what you practice with.

I don't hunt or reload, so I can't be of much help there, but here's a link to a pretty comprehensive .308 Cartridge guide...

http://www.6mmbr.com/308win.html

Hope this helps!

I picked up a bulk pack of 308 at my local shop for $140. 200 rounds of Winchester 150gr that is sealed in a military styled rubber pack. They are FMJ so no good for hunting hog but my AR10 loves 'em!!!

It can get expensive real quick shooting 308 so try and make a good decision on your choice, sight the gun and run with it. Being a bolt action, it shouldn't be to picky on your choice but I would use soft tips or hollows points if available which I've not looked into yet.

Back