• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Nothing left to buy...background checks down 10%

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
The thread name says it all.

The number of federal background checks for firearm sales declined last month following a surge in gun sales toward the end of the year that's left many retailers out of stock as Washington considered new gun control measures.

An Associated Press analysis of new FBI data published early Tuesday shows the National Instant Criminal Background Check system processed more than 2.78 million checks in December. That was a 12-month peak following an upward trend through last fall. The number fell to 2.48 million in January, still greater than any other month last year.

Firearms sales exploded around the country in the wake of the deadly December shooting spree in Newton, Conn., that left 27 dead, mostly children. The rush to buy guns has left many retailers out of stock.

"You can't do a background check if a guy doesn't have a gun to buy," said Mike Fotia, manager at Duke's Sport Shop in New Castle, Pa. "There's nothing to buy."

Depressing... I am glad I may be given an pistol! I just called around a couple shops the other night... NO ONE has an RIA or the PT1911 anymore. Backorder is at earliest, Late April. Humph... A pro 2a Tattoo is looking good hahahaha

Mike, how are things in your neck of the woods?

Heck, I can't find anything, ammo, magazines, AR-15 accessories, nothing at all, I did get to put together a plate carrier with armor and all the fixings. But anything gun or gun related forget it. In Maryland the 7 day waiting period is now close to 30 days for regulated firearms. A regular rifle or shotgun you can walk out the door in 30 minutes or less.

there is guns around..just picked up this last thursday...
DSC_0647_zps7089211f.jpg

they had 3 more in .40 s&w, 4 in 9mm, and 3 full size in .45

I like the S&W! Its a good lookin gun!

Lots of bolt guns around here, especially varmint guns in .223. Too bad there's no ammo.

I'm think about a plate carrier too, I've had my eye on somethin from Shellback.

Brother-in-law got that exact same M&P but in FDE... I must say it would be much nicer if it was only FDE on the frame and no the slide too. BUT over all a nice firearm! Way over priced at $750 though... YIKES! He should have called me.. haha

I cannot agree that guns are out there... the MVP isn't ;) I've checked

750!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with it being fde, including the slide, i would say it is the vtac full size model. it has viking tactical front and rear sights...

mine is the compact model for concealed carry. it was $556 with tax and bg check. they retail for $569 so i was pretty happy since the store i got it at usually charges a little more than retail.

i can't say there is a lot of ammo...both lgs that i conveniently pass on the way to work have had .40 and .22lr. those are the only calibers that i shoot right now...they haven't had a lot, but they have had it...

Everything here is picked pretty good. Expensive ammo is still around. The rifle racks are half empty but one store had several Mossberg shotguns available. The hand gun counters look fairly well stocked but prices are up.

carbinemike said:
The hand gun counters look fairly well stocked but prices are up.

If you happen to be in the market for a handgun and do not want to pay over regular price (pre Sandy Hook) I would suggest making a trip to Grice's Gun shop if at all possible or it keeps you in your preferred budget. They have a ton of firearms, of all types and makes, all at reasonable prices... AR variants are excluded because EVERYONE is raping and pillaging the pockets of buyers with those......

I don't know if the M&P is the V-tacs model or not. I will have to google it up and see if it matches. It does have some style of night sights but they are starting to dim out and he is thinking about replacing them... I still think he is stupid for that price. It is used by the way, I forgot to mention that

EDIT: His M&P is in fact the V-tacs... Nice catch :p still over priced in my mind with the sights being dead....

Man, I need to check out Grice's. Maybe he has the revolver I'm looking into. I might just go just to look at guns and drool...

my pa in law bought a .17 yesterday...he has me stopping at one of the lgs's after work to see if they have any ammo for it. it will give me a chance to see what that store has in stock...

Plenty to be had in rural MS. Including these:

HG3089-N.jpg

No ammo shortage of any caliber or gage. Boxes full of magazines for most anything.

Most of the shops around my area are pretty bare of everything except for Glocks.......When the frenzy started they stocked up on those and now they can't get anything else.

Ammo is crazy scarce around here right now unless you are wanting 20ga target loads. Actually watched a deal go down on one of our area gun-trading facebook pages last night where a guy swapped 3,000rds of .22lr for a Beretta 92fs with 2 mags.

Crazy.

Tim4k5 said:
Most of the shops around my area are pretty bare of everything except for Glocks.......When the frenzy started they stocked up on those and now they can't get anything else.

Ammo is crazy scarce around here right now unless you are wanting 20ga target loads. Actually watched a deal go down on one of our area gun-trading facebook pages last night where a guy swapped 3,000rds of .22lr for a Beretta 92fs with 2 mags.

Crazy.

Well hello! I've got 5,000 sitting under my workbench....who's willing to give up their first born? I'll settle for a nice 2012 4x4 truck, ocean front property would be ok as well... any takers??? I'll throw in half a bottle of Hoppe's #9.

speedyquad said:
DSC_0647_zps7089211f.jpg

I just ordered the full size yesterday!!! Pretty excited about that... and they're shipping these with 3 mags nowadays!

aksavanaman said:
speedyquad said:
DSC_0647_zps7089211f.jpg

I just ordered the full size yesterday!!! Pretty excited about that... and they're shipping these with 3 mags nowadays!

you will like it. mine only came with 2 :cry: and of course i can't seem to find a 3rd or 4th. that's ok since m wife flipped over me spending an extra 50 on 100rds of ammo this week and shooting it all. and the weather is not good to shoot in either. i'm wanting my wife to shoot it. i think we may sell the sigma to her dad and get her one of these if she likes it.

i stopped at the lgs yesterday for my father in law. they had a lot less ammo than on monday.

Back