1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Noticing a lot of pistol caliber carbines being sold

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by John A., Jul 18, 2017.

1. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

Wrist breaker.
  2. zzrguy

zzrguy .410

Doing some upgrades to the PCC9 this month
    John A. and fellmann like this.
  3. fellmann

fellmann Esoteric Supporter Premier Member

This Ruger chassi is made in Sweden :D for those who are interested

rugerchassi_800.jpg
    pccchassi_800.jpg
  4. zzrguy

zzrguy .410

meanstreak likes this.
  5. cmcdonald

cmcdonald Forum Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

I've ordered some parts for the CX4, I have a TruGlo reflex sight and a Magpul vertical fore grip on the way...haven't decided on a light for it yet, but I'm sure I've got something I can throw on it.

I've found MecGar mags for it and they're about 1/3 the price of the Beretta mags. The MecGar mags run flawless in it and are virtually a clone of the Beretta 92 mags.

As an aside to earlier posts about the CZ Scorpion, there's a non-restricted version available up here now and it is one badass looking rig.

It's retailing for about the same as the Beretta here (bout $1200). But they sell out just as fast as they come in. I don't know any place that has any in stock.

upload_2020-4-19_22-32-35.jpeg
    meanstreak and John A. like this.
  6. Daryll

Daryll .270 WIN Supporter

When I was shooting with a military pistol club we would use whatever 9mm was issued... some was Ok, I think it was French made..Gevrely (sp?), but there was some called 2Z which was aweful to shoot in competitions... the theory was that it was higher powered for SMGs...
    meanstreak, fellmann and cmcdonald like this.
  7. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The scorpion is an awesome gun.

[​IMG]
    meanstreak, nitesite and cmcdonald like this.
  8. cmcdonald

Definitely on the "DO WANT" list...lol

Edit: Sure wish suppressors were legal here...too bad. :thumbsdown:
    meanstreak likes this.
  9. John A.

nitesite and meanstreak like this.
  10. cmcdonald

I forgot @nitesite has one too...y'all are lucky bums!
    meanstreak likes this.
  11. nitesite

nitesite Average Guy Moderator "Philanthropist"

MecGar probably makes the Beretta OEM Magazines. They make a ton of mags that go with new guns and have OEM stamps on them.
    meanstreak and cmcdonald like this.
  12. nitesite

I love mine! I don't have a cool suppressor, but I do get to have my Scorpion right beside me at work. It is fantastic for building and room entries. Mine does have a TLR-1 and an Aimpoint Micro T-1 that stays "ON" 24-7 and I bring it inside at home for a home defense gun. Really dependable and its accuracy is above adequate.
    meanstreak, cmcdonald and John A. like this.
  13. nitesite

Here is mine. I have since put on a good side mount sling for LE duty. That one in the photo is gone.

CZ-Scorpion-left.jpg
  14. nitesite

Oh, I forgot to mention that the Aimpoint co-witnesses to the irons. Pretty cool!
    John A., meanstreak and cmcdonald like this.
  15. cmcdonald

Such a nice set up nitesite. Love it! Feel free to post up your new sling set up...lol.

Nobody can deny loving the look of a brand spankin' new member of the collection. However, there is an undeniable quality, a magnetism, of a firearm used in service; showing it's been used AND the fact that someone relies on it daily.

I wish I could like your post a 1000+ times............
    meanstreak and nitesite like this.
  16. Bathrobeman

Bathrobeman .270 WIN

meanstreak likes this.
  17. John A.

The beretta was fairly popular back when they were first being released. I even saw one at my local Walmart in the case once believe it or not. I don't recall how many have been sold over the years, but I'm certain it's not as many as other pistol cal carbines though.

FWIW, I would try to find one at someplace other than cheaper than dirt though. They're dirt bags.
    nitesite, Bathrobeman and meanstreak like this.
  18. Bathrobeman

Bathrobeman .270 WIN

Ah, the good ole days of Walmart guns. I bought my first rifle from Walmart when I was a youngster. Now I think they’ve stopped selling pistol ammo.
    Are the pistol cal carbines (in general) pretty cool? Does one have to buy a high-end brand to get one that doesn’t suck as far as feeding and such?
    How many yards are they “good for?” Is 50 yds reasonable? Or are we taking more like 20 yds?
    Cheaper than dirt is a bunch of d!cks? I’ve never messed with them.
  19. nitesite

I think they are. But I own just one, a CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1. It is renowned for being incredibly reliable.

Fifty is easy. Even 75~100 is pretty sustainable during rapid fire. I have mine as an entry/room/building clearing gun as well as a home defense weapon. I have no fantasies of firing mine beyond 50-yards. The Aimpoint Micro T-1 on it stays ON 24/7/365 for five years on a single CR 2032 battery. I can hit a coffee cup from Zero-Fifty in the blink of an eye.

Yes. They are.
    meanstreak and Bathrobeman like this.
  20. John A.

I own a few pistol cal guns. (no, it's really not a mental illness, I really just like pistol caliber carbines and such).

Even $250 Hi Point carbines are actually pretty good and you can get them in 9mm, 40S&W, 10mm and even 45acp.

With 9mm, you can easily take it out to 100-150'ish yards without much effort. I routinely shoot at 75 yards off hand and ring steel using most any of mine. Granted they are not sniper rifles, but if you do your part, you can generally hit a paper plate out to 100 without much effort at all.

I am in the process of sourcing as many parts as pieces as I can to build my dream pistol caliber gun as I type this. It will be in 45acp. And I'm hoping it's going to be as epic as I think. It has been my holy grail gun for a long time, despite the design being almost 100 years old now.
    meanstreak, Bathrobeman and nitesite like this.