• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Outside the home storage.

I agree.

I never thought about a tire valve stem and pressurizing. That is a fantastic idea.

Better hurry and patent the idea Gunny. After someone sees this, someone is certain to start making them.

John A. said:
I agree.

I never thought about a tire valve stem and pressurizing. That is a fantastic idea.

Better hurry and patent the idea Gunny. After someone sees this, someone is certain to start making them.

Pretty sure it's already been patented. :D Btw, any welding supply house can fix you up with the N. Argon works also, since they're both inert.

I thought about that very thing actually. But couldn't find out if nitrogen could contain moisture.

dieselmudder said:
I thought about that very thing actually. But couldn't find out if nitrogen could contain moisture.

No, it doesn't. Among other things it's used to purge a system of moisture.

From SAE:
In a nitrogen purge, ultra-dry nitrogen with a dew point of -94°F is introduced under pressure into an enclosure or cavity to remove moisture and water vapor, creating a much drier internal environment than standard desiccant can achieve.

http://articles.sae.org/9130/

PS: A little more info - and a reason why you should not use PVC's or other plastics to store your stuff in if you are trying to keep it dry. Plastics are Hygroscopic. Which means they will absorb moisture from the atmosphere and allow it to pass thru to the interior. Vacuum packing in plastic merely accelerates this process.

http://www.terrauniversal.com/desiccato ... cators.php

Also, I wouldn't advise putting any wood parts in this superdry environment.

GunnyGene said:
I'll offer an alternative to vacuum. Dry nitrogen. Cheap and readily available. Pressurize your gun container just slightly above atmospheric - 2 or 3 psi is enough, and it will keep everything out, moisture included. A standard tire valve stem mounted in a steel container is all you need and a bleed valve to purge the container of air after it's closed up.

I like this idea too.....!

very helpful Gunny....I like the outside the box thinking, a good Marine quality

Very good information. Although it rules out most of what I could or would store. If you vacuum packed the item, then used the pressurised container would it still damage the wood?

dieselmudder said:
Very good information. Although it rules out most of what I could or would store. If you vacuum packed the item, then used the pressurised container would it still damage the wood?

It's the extreme low humidity that may damage the wood by drying it out too much, and wood cells can be seriously damaged by vacuum packing, especially if there is any moisture in the cells, which there usually is, even with so called 'dry' wood. This is why fine furniture needs periodic oiling with lemon, linseed, tung oil, etc. If I were going to segregate my stuff by material type for extreme long term storage, I'd use separate containers. I'm not a preservation expert by any means, but most things require specific preservation methods depending on what it is. A good source of info is a museum.

could always just take the stocks and grips off.....since technically they are not likely to be deemed illegal .....not that we are discussing legalities , just alternate storage incase the gun cabinet gets too full

okay I follow you. I was thinking the nitrogen pressurized environment would damage the wood by not providing any moisture. didn't think about the vaccum drawing out the moisture. I would think the amount of moisture removed would be directly related to how long the vaccum is pulled though. i.e, when I do air conditioning work we draw a vaccum on the system for that reason, to remove moisture. but the vaccum is pulling constantly for 45 minutes plus. only drawing a short vaccum to remove excess air and moisture then sealing the packaging would in theory, hold in what little moisture was already in the wood. but I guess also in the case the moisture remaining in the wood would disperse throughout the packaging, possibly causing corrosion. a coating of light oil would protect the metal parts, but also in effect start causing the wood to swell.

oli700 said:
could always just take the stocks and grips off.....since technically they are not likely to be deemed illegal .....not that we are discussing legalities , just alternate storage incase the gun cabinet gets too full

very true, and makes good sense, but who in their right mind would have a house full of gun parts, with no guns..... could raise eyebrows and make people ask questions. plus the whole point of storing them outside the home is to protect them from fire, flood, and tornados.

John A. said:
oli700 said:
remind me to show you a couple of rifles stored in "sealed" plastic bag like material then put in a tube, ruined and it didn't take very long.

I'm interested in seeing them because this is a subject of great interest to me. I would've thought them being bagged would've help prevent rust. Especially if lubed up good.

Only had a flip phone, look quick these wont be up long

sorry man, sold em ....not much to look at though, unless you like effed up guns lol

For those considering PVC, have you thought about purging the tube of oxygen and leaving it with a few p.s.i. of C02? No oxygen, no rust.

All you would need would be an C02 inlet and a pressure relief valve. Hook up a C02 bottle to the inlet and pressurize 5-10 p.s.i., hit the relief valve to purge the air. It would take several times to drive the oxygen out. I would suggest that you would still want to treat metal parts with any lube etc. as the pressure won't last forever. I would also cover the inlet and relief valve with silicone to keep moisture out of them even though they are s/s.

The parts are commonly available at online sites such as Beer, Beer and More Beer, Northern Brewer as well as local homebrew shops. It helps keep cost down if you already have a C02 bottle for a beer keg. One can also avoid rust by acquiring s/s Ruger Mini14's and 10/22's.

Please don't take this post to infer that I have given much thought to caching weapons ;) it's just that I like to talk home brew.

Edit - for this to work with PVC, it needs to be completely airtight, no screw caps unless they had pipe threads. I would use the PVC pipe cement to make it permanent. It would have to cut open to access it.

Back