• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Picking up a Maverick 88

Hey folks, it's been awhile since my last post. When I was here last I had the Flex 590 Tactical as shown in my avatar. I sold that gun and today found a good deal online for a used Maverick 88 so I am about to go pick that up. Of course, I have a couple questions. The seller says it's about 4 years old. Assuming that's correct, are there any major differences between that and if I were to buy a new one today? If I wanted a stock as close to the one I had on the Flex 590 Tactical, can someone point me in the direction of one that would work?

Thanks in advance for any input. I'll be sure to post pics when I pick it up and I'm sure I'll have a few more questions.

ATI is a site sponsor. Check 'em out see if there is anything you like. LINK I don't know if there are any current discounts but the last time I ordered (year ago?) there was free shipping. And prices from the site compare with prices elsewhere so may as well buy from the source. Maybe someone knows of a discount or coupon code you could use? Good Luck with the 88.

PS: it looks as if you have a pinned slide vs the Mossy tube/slide. Something to think about when you want to update the forearm...

PPS: this LINK will take you to a tactical style stock on Debay. ATI used to make something similar for around $60 but I didn't see it on their site.

Last edited:
Nice looking 88. The 88 was my first shotgun and I still have it. I have a TacStar side saddle, a LaserLyte tri-rail with a TLR-1 light. I have also put a Houge 12" buttstock. This picture shows a TLR-2 light but that light needs a new battery cap so I put a spare TLR-1 light on it instead.

hujuruna.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everybody. Hoping to get some shells through it in the very near future. Bobster thanks for the link to the stock, that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

This should be the right forend to replace it with, right?

Your welcome! :) If I were you, and I am not, ;) I would spend a little more and get a "short" 500 metal slide ($30) here at Midway LINK. Don't forget the nut ($13)--stock or aftermarket "deep", depending on the fore-end you get. The link is for the shorter slide. Most of the black plastic OEM 500 fore-ends are the shorter and are cheap at gun shows ($10?).

To further confuse you, there is also a "longer" slide available, and would be what you want if you happened to find some older wood "furniture" off an old hunting piece. Research what fore-end you want and buy the appropriate slide.

The slide you link to looks like someone added a few tac rails to a factory 88 slide. While they look cool, tac rails can be uncomfortable to grip--something else to think about. You could pick up a short length of tac rail and mount it to the fore-end yourself.

Back