What's new
Mossberg Owners

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Price Gouging on ammo

I don't know about you, but I am sick and tired of going to various websites that are stocking .22LR in top brands like Remington or CCI and they are selling their ammo at three to four times the retail price. This needs to stop. First and foremost, Don't buy from these clowns!!!!

Second, Lets start emailing customer services of CCI and Remington and telling them to stop supplying the people that are raping us!!!! The only way to make this stop is to shut these folks down!!!!

info@remington.com
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/general/contact_us.aspx

Let's let them know the names places that are ripping us off and making a huge profit at our expense!!! I already have reported Cheaper than Dirt and Smokey Mountain .

It'll stop only when everyone stops buying it at inflated prices. Don't blame the outlets or manufactures...blame the guy at the range next to you who says "I bought a brick at $$$". They are the ones driving the prices...not the stores.

OhioArcher said:
It'll stop only when everyone stops buying it at inflated prices. Don't blame the outlets or manufactures...blame the guy at the range next to you who says "I bought a brick at $$$". The ones driving the prices...not the stores.

Actually, I'd blame this administration and the media for creating the buying panic through various attempts to restrict or eliminate guns and ammo, or tax them out of existence.

That us true, Gunny, but we (as gun owners) have been panic buying. If we slow down, the prices should drop. Look at mag prices...4-5 months ago they were $50-100 a pop. Now they are back to where they were before Jan.

OhioArcher said:
That us true, Gunny, but we (as gun owners) have been panic buying. If we slow down, the prices should drop. Look at mag prices...4-5 months ago they were $50-100 a pop. Now they are back to where they were before Jan.

Agreed. That's pretty much true of anything from gumdrops to houses. The thing I was pointing out is that the firearms & ammo buying is/was artificial due to political shenanigans, rather than normal supply and demand cycles.

Any way that you look at it, it's a crock!!!! The ammo manufacturers are still making the same amount of ammo as always. I spoke with a guy at Cabellas and he informed me that they get the same amount in weekly that they always have, it just gets bought up fast. What ticks me off the most are the "reputable" websites like Cheaper than Dirt that are gauging us!!!!!! Or should I say gauging the people that are crazy enough to pay four times above retail!!!!!

Yes, it sucks. But the laws of supply and demand are being demonstrated in a very pronounced way. If the demand goes down, supplies go up and prices come down. Except for gas prices, that is...

Just got a response back from CCI. The gentlemen that wrote me said that they are very aware of what some of these companies are doing and that they are being "investigated". So hopefully that means that they will stop supplying them if they are going to gouge the prices!!!!

^ Not gonna happen.

SEC laws prevent manufacturers from determining retail prices, hence the "suggested" retail. Sure a mfg. can stop selling any retailer for unscrupulous business practices, but I don't foresee it happening here. If they were undercutting prices I would definitely expect action would be taken, but by charging more than suggested retail, all these retailers are doing is proving how much consumers are willing to pay for a product. Billions are being made hand over fist and the only thing that's going to be investigated is how the profits from this artificial inflation will be redistributed. The only thing that'll happen is that manufacturers will start charging retailers more to increase their profit margins. Manufacturers are getting free market research out of this situation and while we can expect that retail prices will eventually come back down, they will never go back to where they were before all this insanity. I figure we can expect ammo prices to settle in at 15-20% higher than they were before all this mess started...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
^ Not gonna happen.

SEC laws prevent manufacturers from determining retail prices, hence the "suggested" retail. Sure a mfg. can stop selling any retailer for unscrupulous business practices, but I don't foresee it happening here. If they were undercutting prices I would definitely expect action would be taken, but by charging more than suggested retail, all these retailers are doing is proving how much consumers are willing to pay for a product. Billions are being made hand over fist and the only thing that's going to be investigated is how the profits from this artificial inflation will be redistributed. The only thing that'll happen is that manufacturers will start charging retailers more to increase their profit margins. Manufacturers are getting free market research out of this situation and while we can expect that retail prices will eventually come back down, they will never go back to where they were before all this insanity. I figure we can expect ammo prices to settle in at 15-20% higher than they were before all this mess started...

Figures!!! The little guys always lose out!! Thank you for your insight! I am really enjoying the forums here and want to be more active!!!

We're glad to have you on board!

I draw a parallel between the ammo situation we're in and the price of gasoline. These are commodities and the market will always be in flux due to some political and/or environmental factor. When prices instantly double due to these factors we pay it because we have been trained that we have to. When prices finally begin to fall, we're so happy that we're not paying double anymore that we accept a new premium price. It wasn't that long ago I could fill up my tank for $15. Gas went to $5.00 a gallon around here at one point and now we're happy to pay under $4.00. Two years ago I was paying $.25-$.30 a round for .223 ammo and now I'm thrilled to find any for $.50 a round. At least it's better than the $1.00 or more a round that was being charged for the last six months or so.

There's only one way to stop this trend, but getting enough people to collectively stop buying products at these artificially inflated prices to make a difference is highly improbable. The folks making the money are too good at harnessing the media to induce fear and the illusion of need. We as consumers have become too busy to stop and think about it and are simply conditioned to play along...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
We're glad to have you on board!

I draw a parallel between the ammo situation we're in and the price of gasoline. These are commodities and the market will always be in flux due to some political and/or environmental factor. When prices instantly double due to these factors we pay it because we have been trained that we have to. When prices finally begin to fall, we're so happy that we're not paying double anymore that we accept a new premium price. It wasn't that long ago I could fill up my tank for $15. Gas went to $5.00 a gallon around here at one point and now we're happy to pay under $4.00. Two years ago I was paying $.25-$.30 a round for .223 ammo and now I'm thrilled to find any for $.50 a round. At least it's better than the $1.00 or more a round that was being charged for the last six months or so.

There's only one way to stop this trend, but getting enough people to collectively stop buying products at these artificially inflated prices to make a difference is highly improbable. The folks making the money are too good at harnessing the media to induce fear and the illusion of need. We as consumers have become too busy to stop and think about it and are simply conditioned to play along...

Totally agree...We need a like button!!! :)