• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Questions about muzzle brakes...and generally reducing recoil

Jeff B

Copper BB
I like the idea of reducing a little bit of recoil which would allow me to feel less beat up at the end of a shooting session. I am not competing so I don't care about the "rules" required to keep me in any specific class or not. This 930 SPX is purely for fun, blowing up coke cans, etc.

I generally will be shooting 12 Gauge - 2-3/4" 00 Buck - Fiocchi Law Enforcement Reduced Recoil rounds for these types of things

Recoil pads for the stock, again, most effective? which ones and where recommended to buy?
At the moment my research is suggesting I buy a "limbsaver" recoil pad, do you agree with this?

Are there muzzle brakes that can be fitted that are fairly effective? Or are they really not effective enough...
If yes, then which ones / where to buy?

Thank you in advance!
Jeff

I like the limbsaver family of stock pads.

I can't think of a muzzlebrake for the 930.

Or most any shotgun for that matter.

I don't really think so, but does make it louder.

Bought a limbsaver 1" recoil pad off ebay for $26.49 :)

I'm still unsure about a little porting on the top end of the barrel...

I still will stand more square, leaning toward the targets, butt pad below the collarbone on the edge of the pec, and try the push/pull. I'm new to the shotgun thing. Been shooting most of my life, but rarely shotguns.

Last edited:
I have shot and own a BUNCH of shotguns. Some had/have ported barrels. If the barrel you use has it, fine, if it doesn't then I would not waste my money or time getting it done. I have never noticed any difference in muzzle rise with or with out porting.
As for getting beat up shooting.
Limbsavers will help.
What really helps is a proper mount tight to your shoulder. You are shooting a semiauto. They are much softer on the shoulder than any other type of shotgun.

My wife stared her Trap career shooting a Beretta 686 O/U. She was getting bruised every time she shot.
I put a Limbsaver on for her. Bruising continued until she got her mount right.
She is now a 2 time Lady State champion and never gets bruised from shooting.

With the correct mount you can shoulder a cannon without any pain.
Just my 2 cents.

Great, thank you very much for all the info. I expect that given it is a gas operated semi and I can shoot the lower recoil OO Buck with the limbsaver ought to be plenty soft enough.

Shot at the range today. Very disappointed. The tolerances on this gun are pretty lousey... I could see that the elevator sometimes gets jammed against the shell stop/bolt release. When this happened I could not move the elevator to load from beneath, (yes even when the bolt is solidly closed with or without a round in the chamber) I could see that the elevator would sometimes be in the middle and sometimes closer to the bolt stop/shell release.

I also had the issue of shells kept getting stuck hitting the elevator and not loading/ the elevator was not always coming down low enough. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Again. This is very disappointing for any gun.

Also, gun would not cycle fiocci low recoil 00 buck loads, 100% failure. Not enough power to cycle the bolt.
Cycled the bolt with full power #7 bird shot, but only autoloaded maybe 50% of the time.

In short, I really think this gun is a piece of crap out of the box.

One thing that was fine was the recoil even with full power 2 3/4 loads. The gas system makes the recoil plenty manageable.

That being said I am pretty dissapointed in this gun.

It is too obvious that Mossberg does NOT test their guns before shipping.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you having these issues. Have you completely broken that thing down and cleaned the living tar out of it?

Yes, I had given it a complete de grease, fluff and buff. The edges were pretty choppy, the end of the magazine tube was jagged and chipped, looked like it was made around 4:59 pm on a Friday night...

I lubed with FP10 and one shot for the areas that shouldn't have liquid lube. This appears to be design flaws to my untrained eye.

I'm packing it up to send to mossberg. When it comes back if it doesn't run 100% I'll sell it and buy a better brand.

I got a Mesa Urbino stock and it lessens the impact quite a bit [has a Limbsaver on it]. Bonus is they make a shot shell holder that fits on the cheek riser.20160716_184727.jpg

There are some clamp-on muzzle brakes available for 12 gauge shotguns. I think a company called Witt Machine builds a pretty good one. That said, I believe there would be some gunsmithing involved in fitting it...

Hey jeff B, I would like to help so I hope this post does not sound bad or is taken in the wrong way.

IMO, limb savers, low recoil ammo, spring loaded stocks, shock absorbing pads, ported barrels etc may have a purpose for older shooters, new shooters, or people with prior shoulder injuries, etc. Before shopping for any of those things I would always suggest the best money spent that will last a lifetime is proper shotgun instruction.

I am a 49 yr old guy that shoots 4 day training classes with bird, Buck and slugs. I do not need to bother with low recoil ammo or shooting jackets because I learn to properly hold a shotgun. If the top of the recoil pad is touching your shoulder then your most likely in need of better shooting position or instruction.

Here is a quick visual reminder to look at.
Carbine-Cheekweld_Correct.jpg

Carbine_Cheekweld_Incorrect.jpg

Back