• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

red dot recomendations

leverett

Copper BB
Ok so I am thinking about a red dot and wanted to get some opinions. I bought my maverick 88 for hd but really want a do all shotgun. I want something that will work during the day and no light conditions. I am looking to spent 40 to 50 dollars on the site it self but only want to buy it once. Whay would yall recommend? Ok so to add some more info I would like to shoot at 100 yards max without haveing the dot being to big and I am willing to spent more instead of buying multiple sights I am currently looking at some of the truglo sight

I think most of the red dots in the price range you noted are more for airsoft or maybe a .22LR. I don't know how they would hold up to a shotgun. You get what you pay for is also true with red dots.

I can only speak of the one red dot I have experience with. The Bushnell TRS-25. It can be had around the net for about $90. I got it to mess around with to see if I liked red dots without blowing $400+ for a top notch one. I do like it a lot. It is plenty bright for daytime, has 11 brightness settings, very positive click adjustments and is pretty compact. At night though the dot takes on a more oblong shape that I don't like. I have it on a 5.56 carbine, not a shotgun. It will soon be bumped to a Ruger 10/22.

I'm sure others with more experience will kick in with help. You should look up a sticky thread located in the optics section here:

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=2658

Per my experiece $40 to $50 doesn't really buy much longevity with a gun with a lot of recoil. It's kind of hit or miss.

Micro arms makes a pretty good little red dot for just a little more. I've been wanting to try one as I heard a lot of good things about this one.

Primary Arms Micro Dot

I have a TruGlo on my 835 that seems to work well but i have not used it enough to know if it will hold up to long term abuse.

TruGlo Optic

Attachments

• MD-07-1.jpg
    MD-07-1.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 234
  • 72307_sm.jpg
    72307_sm.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 234
Unless you want to buy multiple red dots or plan to just put it on there and never shoot it I would not go less than a Primary Arms dot.

They offer a good product at a good price and support it after the sale.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

For shotgun recoil, I recommend somethin like the Aimpoint micro, but not that exactly. Just somethin that sits low and close to the receiver or shootin slugs can be downright joyless. Too high a sight will make gettin a cheekweld next to impossible.

The TRS25 from Bushnell is an Aimpoint Micro clone. Other red dot sights like the Primary Arms are also low pro enough. Somethin like a big old Trijicon may be sweet but otherwise useless to you if it sits too high.

For dot size, 3 MOA is about as big as I like to 50 yards, at 100 it covers the target. It gets me combat accurate but not pinpoint by any stretch. There are some sights that will adjust down to or already are 1 MOA.

The Primary Arms may be one of those. The one is a Burris clone I think.

Check out our "Optics" section for more ideas! I'll likely be movin this thread there anyhow.

I've knocked around cost effective red dots a bit and have had reasonable success on shotguns and AKs with a TRUGLO MULTI-RETICLE / DUAL COLOR OPEN RED•DOT SIGHT SKU # TG8360B for under $100. I did have to send one back but it was replaced very quickly - I own two. The 5 MOA dot is okay - the cross hairs may be a bit better but it is plenty bright and sets zero well. Shotguns are good to 50 for me so the match is a good one - slugs too. I do punish the sights! The budget winner is a sealed tube unit = a Vortex SPARC for about $200. 1 MOA dot, better build, water resistant - many better features. 1 MOA at 100 yds makes a lot of difference. That is currently on an AK - I like the TRUGLO open reflex open sight on my 12 gauges - just a better match for the kind of shooting I suppose. The Ak is not SO tight at 100 yds but it is all on paper in CBM shots - in the spirit the gun was intended I suppose!

Back