• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Removing fiber optic on SPX

hello I am going to cerakote my 930 spx and I am trying to figure out how to remove the front fiber optic bead for painting?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I have the ghost ring front sight.

If I remember correctly, there's either a set screw or roll pin in the front base that holds in the fiber optic tube...

I installed my Urbino stock tonight fits perfect and feels great. Going to try and puts some rounds through her this weekend.

hello I am going to cerakote my 930 spx and I am trying to figure out how to remove the front fiber optic bead for painting?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I have the ghost ring front sight.
So did you get it off, and which Cerakote color and type (bake or no-bake) are you using?

i haven't tried yet going to try this weekend. I did get my Urbino stock on and it looks great. I am looking at a silver/grey color for Cerakote and it will be oven baked

Tried removing the fiber optics incert today and no luck. There is a Allen screw right in front of the fiber optic tube and seams to only turn once either way. And it looks like it adjust the night if the incert.

There is also a small pin at the base of the ghost ring not sure if that has anything to do with removing it.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know I would like to get it painted this week. Thanks again for your help

That's the money shot!

Push that roll pin out and the fiber optic insert should pop out. Gently tap it out with a punch an small mallet and you should be able to re-use the pin...

That did the trick. I had to file down a 1/16 punch because it was to big to fit in the whole. Once I did that it popped right out.

I have it completely disassembled except for the bolt release and the part under the safety and in the receiver under the safety. See attached pics
iPhone-2015.04.07-21.37.10.831.jpg iPhone-2015.04.07-21.36.55.028.jpg

Last edited:
Scratch the last post I figured it out it's completely bare now. Going to take it in tomorrow to get painted. I will. Post pictures when I get it back in a couple of days.

Thank you all for your help

Back